Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Edwin Rodriguez Has a Blog (And He Updates It Frequently)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edwin Rodriguez Has a Blog (And He Updates It Frequently)

MIAMI GARDENS— Edwin Rodriguez doesn't wait until putting on his Marlins uniform to begin his day as manager.

In the morning he fires up his laptop and updates his new website El Dirigente (eldirigente.com), Spanish for The Manager. He started it in February in response to numerous inquiries from his native Puerto Rico on various topics related to being a big-league manager.

The site is in Spanish, but he plans to eventually have an English version.

"I have experience building and keeping a web site running. So I thought, let's build a web site so people can watch it and I don't have to answer a hundred questions," he said.

Text alerts: Get South Florida sports news on your phone

Not only does Rodriguez compose the content, he is his own web master. This is the latest of several baseball-related sites he has built over the past decade. He taught himself html code after being told it would cost $8,000 to have someone else build a site for him.

"I went to Barnes & Noble and bought a book for $30, and two months later the website was running. I kept doing it, and it's a hobby for me," Rodriguez said. "Almost 20 years I've been working with computers. I took a troubleshooting course to fix computers."

An unusual hobby for a major league manager, and one Rodriguez's players were unaware of.

"I had no idea. I don't know what his web site is about. I guess it's a sign of the times," said social-media savvy left fielder Logan Morrison, who is active on Twitter. Informed that Rodriguez's site is all in Spanish, he said, "I'd need to get on Rosetta Stone to get on there."

At one time Rodriguez had four sites running, all about baseball. He built one for a friend who is trying to launch a baseball coaches association in Puerto Rico.

Rodriguez posts a weekly column on his site, which also appears in a newspaper in Puerto Rico. He said most of the emails he answers pertain to how a manager goes about his business and how decisions are reached on players.

His hobby helped inspire a career for his son Alex, who is a fourth-year student in computer engineering.

cldavis@tribune
    http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/o...,3883887.story

Translated:

This is because our margin for error is very small, we have no depth on the bench or in the minor leagues to replace those on the current roster. The organization does not have the capital to raise the payroll at any time you have a chance to trade for an established player.
    http://eldirigente-edwinrodriguez.blogspot.com/

This is pretty cool.

That is awesome.

Comment

¡No entiendo!
      Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM Hugg!

Comment

Get Google Chrome and it will translate the site automatically.

Comment

Holy eff! I never knew Chrome did such things!

Comment

It's a little broken here and there but you get the gist of what he's saying.

Cool find, Michael.

Comment

I liked this:

We are in the second week of the Grapefruit League . The team has begun to look good.

Implanting the new philosophy of play is a process and gradually the team has been adjusted to give more attention to detail.

This week we worked in other areas of the game with the pitchers we practice how to keep potential base stealers out of balance.

The receivers worked the angles to be created with the body to 'lock' releases. The rangers perfect angle when fielding the grounder to be in an upright position to the base they want to throw away, with the hitters the different ways that can advance the runners holding the aggressive swing.

Much of the work program has been developed with the technical team ideas which have presented innovative methods of training and at the same time simple, efficient and effective.

This group of coaches has nothing to envy from any other team in the majors.

Among them is the Puerto Rican Joshua Sword , responsible for working with the rangers, the base paths as well as being the third-base coach.

Are already seeing the fruits of the attention you're giving the details.

Comment

I'm guessing by rangers, Chrome means infielders?

Comment

Originally posted by Mainge View Post
                  I'm guessing by rangers, Chrome means infielders?
                  Outfielders.

Guardabosques is the Puerto Rican translation. Jardineros (translated gardeners) is the more popular term.

1B, 3B and SS also have names that vary by region.
                  Last edited by Party; 04-10-2011, 11:28 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

This is really a great way to follow the team. That site makes me like Edwin even more. It's genuine view of the team from the perspective of the manager, which is pretty neat.

Comment

I cleaned up the translation for the Edwin speech.

Festa can feel free to delete my post and just replace the speech text in his original post if we wants to save space.

Here it is:

We were all together, the players, 63 in total, our big league coaches, minor league, the medical personnel, public relations and others. Among those present were also team owner Jeffrey Loria, and the entire staff including the General Manager. In total around 125 people.

Following is the full speech.

' I am very excited to be here not just because we are all ready to begin our training but also because we have a good team. Believe me we have a good, good team.

We have pitching, defense, offensive power, speed. The only shortcoming I see is inexperience because we are a young team.

I know many of you very well; I have managed almost all of you at some point in their career. That's why I am convinced that this team has the mental strength and attitude to win a championship. I know well from experience that we have winners on this team.

We must believe in ourselves . We must believe in our abilities. Confidence is a feeling and attitude, but it is also an action.

Any goal or objective that we want to achieve always begins with a thought . That's why I want all of you to think, feel, walk, practice, speak with the confidence that we have what it takes to win the pennant.

I'm sorry ... We'll be the last team standing when the season ends in October.

We already think and feel it, now lets act on it. What will we do to accomplish this?

Number one : We are going to dominate and be experts of the obvious.
                      Let's move runners, execute bunts, hit behind the runners, throw strikes, go from first to third with a hit to right field, throw to the right base to maintain the double play, we will give them 27 outs ... and not one more.

Number two : We will learn to win close games .
                      50% of the games played last season in the big leagues were won or lost by one or two runs. 50%! - That's 5 out of 10, 50 of 100.

How are we going to win those close games?, Back to number one. We will be experts of the obvious.

Number three : We must be accountable for our actions and performance. No excuses. I do not want to hear, 'I'm trying. " You know what to do, so do it. 'I'm trying' will not be accepted.

And last but not least. I want all of them to look around. We have people from all over - California, New York, Florida, Canada, Dominican Republic, Venezuela, Puerto Rico, Mexico. The message is: we have to stick together.

Like it or not, this group is going to be our family for the next seven months. We will spend more time together than we spend with our families. As in any family, we have differences and situations but we have to resolve them and move on.

When the season ends I will not ask you to send Christmas cards to anyone, but during the next few months we must find ways to make this work.

As far as I'm concerned, the season begins today, here in training camp.
                      Last edited by CrimsonCane; 04-10-2011, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Deleted mine.

Comment

Edwin is fucking awesome.
                          --------------------
                          This is fun. One of my favorite gafs when translated:

Of the 13 position players are 2 receptors, 5 infielders, 4 rangers and two 'super replacements. " The latter two have the ability to play both the infield and in the forests.
                          Last edited by Miamarlin21; 04-10-2011, 12:19 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
                          LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

Originally posted by Claudio Vernight View Post
                            Not only does Rodriguez compose the content, he is his own web master. This is the latest of several baseball-related sites he has built over the past decade. He taught himself html code after being told it would cost $8,000 to have someone else build a site for him.

"I went to Barnes & Noble and bought a book for $30, and two months later the website was running. I kept doing it, and it's a hobby for me," Rodriguez said. "Almost 20 years I've been working with computers. I took a troubleshooting course to fix computers."
                            Love the Hispanic work ethic by Edwin - '$8,000?!? I'll do it for $30!'
                            God would be expecting a first pitch breaking ball in the dirt because humans love to disappoint him.
                            - Daft

Comment

Not blog related but...

MarlinsMedia: #Marlins manager Edwin Rodriguez joins @SedanoShow on 790 in about 5 mins
                              /Twitter

This was sent at 8:33 am so he should be on in about 5 minutes.

Comment

Working...
                              X