X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by flamarlin21 View Post
    Eww on both of those.
    well you are now forever on my shit list (in regards to Hammer)

Comment

Originally posted by Stimpson J Cat View Post
      He was supposedly a butcher defensively in college. Plus, you'd have to think if he could handle it, we'd have shifted him...no? We wanted 1B to be LoMo's, Gaby just couldn't play anywhere else - we tried him at 3B, C, and I think LF in the minors with poor results.
      Yeah he was, including being terrible at first. But those articles about him really working on his defense came out when he was in AA and he ended up winning Baseball America's best defensive firstbaseman award. Total zone shows him being better at 3rd than 1st over 2008 and 2009.

So I think he could do it.

He never played OF.

Originally posted by Claudio Vernight View Post
      I think it's off the table if it wasn't considered during this past offseason. Dominguez was a stretch and LoMo in left last season was a huge liability.

Personally, I would keep him at 1B. You get the positional offensive upgrade, but you are going to do it at the expense of defense. Gaby makes his share of dumb errors at 1B and I think moving him would just make the problem worse. He's going to be 28, if we're talking long term, his range will start to regress in a few years anyway.

If the FO goes out and buys a 1b/OF this offseason, you could package Gaby for a middle of the rotation guy. Assuming payroll will expand considerably starting next season, Gaby is the regular that fits least into our plans.
      Does he make dumb errors? Not saying you're wrong, I truly don't recall any.

Good point about his age.

Comment

I'll be the first to say it. I hated Gaby coming up. I thought he was going to be a tremendous disappointment. He has exceeded all expectations. If he moves to 3B, he's a legit keeper.

HOWEVER

Doing the switch now makes little sense. Bonifacio as an everyday player is not a fun thought. Cousins and Petersen aren't every day guys either. I don't see the benefit doing it now; unless we have a reason to think we can get someone like Rick Ankiel for a guy like Sanabia. Any LF that makes us "holy cow" good probably costs Gaby, so it's a moot point then anyway.

Comment

Im not sure Rick Ankiel is an everyday player.
          poop

Comment

I am talking more offseason than now, where he'd have some time to work on it. It would give us much more flexibility, as I've said a few times.

It won't happen though.

Comment

Originally posted by Mainge View Post
              Yeah he was, including being terrible at first. But those articles about him really working on his defense came out when he was in AA and he ended up winning Baseball America's best defensive firstbaseman award. Total zone shows him being better at 3rd than 1st over 2008 and 2009.

So I think he could do it.

He never played OF.

Does he make dumb errors? Not saying you're wrong, I truly don't recall any.

Good point about his age.
              I can recall Gaby dropping a few easy throws (one this year). I don't think he is terrible or prone to dumb errors like Dan Uggla. But Gabs has his moments. I'd argue he's our best defensive everyday first basemen since D Lee. It's not saying much when you consider who he is up against, but I say it as a compliment.

Comment

I feel that Logan was always advertised as better than Gaby for defense but Gaby cannot cut it anywhere else on the diamond.

Comment

Logan was compared to Casey Kotchman coming up, at least with the glove, that's pretty high praise.

Comment

It may not even be his glove.. I don't see him making decent throws across the diamond.. Its not like we have D Lee over there to help him out either.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamRavs View Post
                      It may not even be his glove.. I don't see him making decent throws across the diamond.. Its not like we have D Lee over there to help him out either.
                      Logan is meant to be ++ defensively at 1B, it wouldn't be like he'd be throwing to Delgado.

Comment

This season has been so weird for Gaby.

The BB and K rates are right about what I'd expect, but his BABIP is pretty high. However, he also only has like one double in the last 25 games or something, so his avg is going to go down, but he'll probably get some more doubles as it evens out and he may be able to maintain like an .840 OPS.
                        poop

Comment

Because of how much the offense is "sputtering" and because I recall reading a run-expectancy piece on how, really, your best hitter should hit second (not all that surprising since the run expectancy with 2 out and none on is <<<<< than 1 out 1 on), maybe the tweak we need is to move Gaby to the 2-hole.

Bonifacio
                          Gaby
                          Hanley
                          Stanton
                          Dobbs
                          Buck
                          Coghlan
                          Infante

OR

Coghlan
                          Gaby
                          Hanley
                          Stanton
                          Dobbs
                          Buck
                          Bonifacio
                          Infante

I think I like #2 better.

Comment

I like Boner in the 8 hole or top of the line up. 7-hole with infante 8 doesn't really help.

Comment

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb
                              After hitting his first career grand slam and leading the National League in hits and RBIs this week, Marlins first baseman Gaby Sanchez was named the NL Player of the Week, Major League Baseball announced Monday.

Sanchez's 13 hits and 10 RBIs were tops in the league, as were his 22 total bases. He also finished second with a .464 batting average (13-for-28) and .531 on-base percentage. The 27-year-old also added two home runs and three doubles on the way to a .786 slugging percentage.

Sanchez started the week with a bang, slugging his first career grand slam on May 2 to lead the Marlins to a 6-5 win over the Cardinals. The following day, Sanchez had a four-hit game, matching a career best. In the third game of a four-game series against the Cardinals, Sanchez had his third consecutive multihit game, going 2-for-4.

Sanchez, who finished fourth in the 2010 NL Rookie of the Year Award balloting, has reached base safely in 30 of Florida's 33 games this season. He entered Monday with the sixth-highest on-base percentage (.414) and ninth-highest batting average (.328) in the NL. His 41 hits lead all NL first basemen.

This is Sanchez's first career weekly award.
                              Last edited by Ralph; 05-09-2011, 05:22 PM.
                              "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
                              - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuwraJtVHjo[/ame]

Comment

Working...
                                X