This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gaby Sanchez 2011: There's No Place Like Home

JUPITER -- As a child growing up in Miami, Gaby Sanchez didn’t have time to attend Opening Day Marlins games.

With his seemingly relentless, year-round schedule of basketball, soccer, baseball, football – not to mention school and homework – there just weren’t enough hours in most weekdays.

But on the weekends, whenever there was a smidge of free time, Sanchez found a way to squeeze the Marlins into his schedule.

On Friday, he will attend the Marlins’ opening-game ceremonies at home.
    He’ll be playing first base.

“You’ve got all the nerves and all the blood coursing through your body,” Sanchez said, describing his opening-day experience from 2010 when Florida kicked off its season visiting the New York Mets. “That first game you’re always going to have those butterflies going through.”

HIS HOME TEAM

For Sanchez, the butterflies are understandable. He’ll be kicking off his second full season in the majors, and he’ll be doing it for the team he grew up watching.

Sanchez played third base at the University of Miami, and before he was playing for the Hurricanes in Coral Gables, he was winning a state championship three miles down the road at Brito Miami Private School.

The Marlins came to town when he was 10 and still playing four different sports. When Sanchez’s father made him choose between the four at age 13, the choice was a simple one.

“Every single time I would play baseball, and then all of a sudden I would be in basketball season or football, I was like, ‘Man, I can’t wait until baseball season starts,’ ” Sanchez said.

He stuck with baseball and enjoyed the 1997 and 2003 World Series championship teams from afar.

Now he’s up close and personal with Marlins history, and he hopes to create some of his own history like the Bobby Bonillas and Mike Lowells of the past.
    Last year, Sanchez didn’t let the pressure of playing in his home city faze him. He hit nearly 80 points better and had an on-base percentage 105 points higher at Sun Life Stadium than on the road.

And if there’s one thing batting coach John Mallee prizes in Sanchez, it’s his consistency.

Only three times during 2010 did Sanchez have three consecutive games without a hit.

“He has a plan and an approach in the box that he takes in every day,” Mallee said. “Even last year, the consistency of his approach has been great.”
    Mallee also noted that Sanchez has picked up this spring right where he left off last year.

HOT START

With five games left to go in spring training, Sanchez has been right at the top of the team in several categories.

Among Marlins with more than 30 at-bats, Sanchez’s on-base percentage topped the team, and his slugging percentage was second only to Greg Dobbs. His .360 batting average also placed him fourth on the team.

Sanchez says he has numbers that he wants to reach, but he’s not willing to disclose those personal goals.

On a broader team level, though, he pictures a scenario where the Marlins close out their time in Sun Life Stadium with a dogpile after Game 7 of the World Series.

“That’s the best situation possible, to end with a bang, go into the new stadium being the champs from last year,” he said. “We know that’s on everybody’s mind, and I feel like we have the team that can easily do it. We have everything, basically.”
    http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/03/3...hez-right.html

So, does anyone here think that Gaby couldn't handle 3B? It would probably be for the best longterm if he was moved there, assuming we'd rolled out an actual first basemen (or LFer).

Using the ole' eye test, I think he'd be fine. He has good hands, range is iffy but better than anyone we have sans Boner. Arm is a question mark but dude was a catcher, right? Would think he'd be okay.

It would never happen but I think it would give us a lot more flexibility going into the new stadium. As a first basemen, his OPS is good for 10th in the MLB. It would be more helpful, obviously, if we could move him to 3rd (where his OPS would be 6th) and replaced him at first with a legit lefty power bat. Or you could move LoMo back to first and replace him in left with an actual OFer.

Just thinking out loud.

Comment

I wouldn't be against it Mainge. Before this year I wanted them to trade Gaby and move LoMo back to first but having Gaby at third would be good for me. However, if we move him it would make a lot more questions. Would we move LoMo to first? And if so, who is going to play left? Do we move Cogs back to left? and if so, then who is going to play center?

I'm sure it can all be answered. Like you said, I don't think the Marlins are even contemplating that (not sure why, much like why they won't have Cogs at second, but that's a different story)
      LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

We're gonna make a big splash this offseason, I think. I could see us dropping 80-90 mil on a free agent. We're gonna fill a hole in a big way.
        poop

Comment

It would just overall give us more flexibility to acquire that last bat. We would have a wider pool of players to choose from, rather than just 3B.

Comment

Originally posted by Mainge View Post
            It would just overall give us more flexibility to acquire that last bat. We would have a wider pool of players to choose from, rather than just 3B.
            AKA Albert Pujols?

Comment

Or Jose Reyes! Or Grady Sizemore!

Or probably more likely, Swisher or Willingham.

Comment

Eww on both of those.

Comment

Both of who?

Comment

Swisher or Hammer.

And I'm not that big of a Reyes fan either for some reason.

Comment

They're all pretty good. You're nuts.

Comment

They are pretty good, I just wish we could do better. Hammer has injury problems. But Swish might be intriguing. He's a fan favorite in New York so he could be our next Cody?

Comment

So, does anyone here think that Gaby couldn't handle 3B? It would probably be for the best longterm if he was moved there, assuming we'd rolled out an actual first basemen (or LFer).

Using the ole' eye test, I think he'd be fine. He has good hands, range is iffy but better than anyone we have sans Boner. Arm is a question mark but dude was a catcher, right? Would think he'd be okay.

It would never happen but I think it would give us a lot more flexibility going into the new stadium. As a first basemen, his OPS is good for 10th in the MLB. It would be more helpful, obviously, if we could move him to 3rd (where his OPS would be 6th) and replaced him at first with a legit lefty power bat. Or you could move LoMo back to first and replace him in left with an actual OFer.

Just thinking out loud.
                          He was supposedly a butcher defensively in college. Plus, you'd have to think if he could handle it, we'd have shifted him...no? We wanted 1B to be LoMo's, Gaby just couldn't play anywhere else - we tried him at 3B, C, and I think LF in the minors with poor results.

Comment

Just thinking out loud.
                            I think it's off the table if it wasn't considered during this past offseason. Dominguez was a stretch and LoMo in left last season was a huge liability.

Personally, I would keep him at 1B. You get the positional offensive upgrade, but you are going to do it at the expense of defense. Gaby makes his share of dumb errors at 1B and I think moving him would just make the problem worse. He's going to be 28, if we're talking long term, his range will start to regress in a few years anyway.

If the FO goes out and buys a 1b/OF this offseason, you could package Gaby for a middle of the rotation guy. Assuming payroll will expand considerably starting next season, Gaby is the regular that fits least into our plans.

Comment

Just going to have to live with him on another team when we sign Pujols
                              God would be expecting a first pitch breaking ball in the dirt because humans love to disappoint him.
                              - Daft

Comment

Working...
                              X