Marlins Interested in Reacquiring Castillo [Luiy signs with Philly]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lou View Post
    Because he may actually be able to hit the ball, something Castillo is pretty much done with even if he draws some walks here and there. Ozzie was pretty good in AA last year even if he was getting premo pitches as teams were presumably pitching around Stanton, and he looked pretty good in September (I acknowledge the amazingly low 40 something PA, but still).

I don't think it's crazy to think he'd be a .250-.270 / .310-.330 / .350-.400 kind of guy immediately, and he has a good defensive reputation. That wouldn't be terrible at 2B for right now if they want to groom Dominguez some more (which they should).
    He was pretty good in AA, but it was the first time he'd ever been good in his minor league career. Luis' BABIP was super low last year; maybe it stays that low. But I don't think Ozzie's any better a bet to give you a better OPS than Luis, so why not take a shot on the guy who has done it before and will likely make the minimum?
    poop

Comment

The issues related to bringing in Luis, I think, should be focused on Dominguez. Ozzie, regardless of what happens with Luis, seems ticketed for AAA.

Comment

Don't get too excited about Luis Castillo return. #Marlins had internal discussions like they would on any released player. Nothing more.
        - via @JCRMarlinsBeat

God would be expecting a first pitch breaking ball in the dirt because humans love to disappoint him.
        - Daft

Comment

Because Ozzie could actually have a future with us

Because Ozzie saw a start in improvement last year in Jupiter, greatly increasing his BB/K (which transfered over to this year), but posted poor power numbers (Jupiter!) and a bad BABIP (.285) which fixed itself this past season in Jax

And, most importantly, defense. Ozzie is suppose to be at least an average defensive SS. Put him at 2b = woo. That's like 10-20 run difference between the two in defense most likely.

Comment

Nny, you mean Jacksonville?
            LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

Originally posted by lou View Post
              And a side note, check out Castillo's amazing 2000 stat line. 101 runs, 17 RBI, .806 OPS. Gotta be lowest RBI total for anyone with 500+ AB and an .800+ OPS history of baseball.
              Next lowest is 27.

Comment

Originally posted by flamarlin21 View Post
                Nny, you mean Jacksonville?
                he means last year as in 2009

Comment

The Marlins are talking about signing second baseman Luis Castillo once he clears waivers, but they also have in-house options. The club could decide to go with Emilio Bonifacio at second and Omar Infante at third if they choose to demote rookie third baseman Matt Dominguez.
                  -KRosenthal

It's a win win situation. If we sign Castillo is for 414K, not like we are wasting millions on him. If Castillo struggles and Matty D improves at the minors we give him the call up around July.

Comment

not sure how that's a win-win, but he's worth the risk if they choose to go that direction

Comment

I'd honestly rather trade for Eric Chavez or Andy LaRoche or even no defense Chris Davis than any of these other vagabond 3B free agents who aren't going to make their club. I'm not sure Castillo upgrades Bonifacio at this point, or as said, Martinez can't produce the same amount of production. At least there is hope for an improvement with the other guys.
                      --------------------
                      I'd also call the Royals and trade for anyone from Gordon, Betemit, and Avilies. They seem to really like Chris Getz at 2B, Melky and Maier are passable and they are on their bench, and they have Moustakas coming middle of the year. Someone from that above list isn't playing regularly is the point. They are going nowhere and know it, and we can give them some of our pitching depth. I'd trade projects with them for Gordon-West in a second, and if they want Brian Sanches (who would immediately become their 2nd best RP) too, who cares. Let it rip. Probably helps both teams each way.
                      Last edited by lou; 03-20-2011, 11:45 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Originally posted by Ramp View Post
                        he means last year as in 2009
                        oh ok, I wasn't sure.

And I like brining in Chavez. I don't want Boni starting, but it seems inevitable.
                        LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

Dominguez looks terrible at the plate. Definitely does not look comfortable at the plate.

Comment

He looked pretty good today in the two at-bats I saw.

Comment

Pretty sure the Yankees are keeping Eric Chavez

Comment

What about Brandon wood. Claim him and if he sucks see if he sneaks waivers. Anything.

Comment

Working...
                                X