Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Matt Dominguez 2011: Can He Play? (early returns: no)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I meant that being in Triple or Double-A for him for just a few months won't really help him. He needs, I think, almost a full year. He has the stroke, he just can't fully put it together.
    I don't think he is ready for Triple-A because he hasn't done anything to prove he is ready for the next level. And I do think that the talent level is better in Double-A than Triple-A. Maybe there aren't many four-A players there, but there are ton of top prospects there that have nasty stuff.
    LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

Having nasty stuff is not the same as knowing how to pitch.

Comment

Originally posted by flamarlin21 View Post
        I meant that being in Triple or Double-A for him for just a few months won't really help him. He needs, I think, almost a full year. He has the stroke, he just can't fully put it together.
        I don't think he is ready for Triple-A because he hasn't done anything to prove he is ready for the next level. And I do think that the talent level is better in Double-A than Triple-A. Maybe there aren't many four-A players there, but there are ton of top prospects there that have nasty stuff.
        .744 ops is plenty production enough to move on. Also regarding the bolded, you would be wrong.
        Last edited by Mainge; 03-22-2011, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Is it the next level or a downgrade? Depending on what sentence I'm reading, you argue both in the same paragraph.

Comment

See his month of August. Matt saw improvement over the second half. He went from a 600 OPS to a 900 OPS from July to August. He also had a .700 for May. Yes he went through rough patches but he put up a decent ending line with all said and done.

He needs to face people that know how to pitch not those with nasty stuff. I don't care if he can hit someone throwing their heater every pitch. He's more likely to get eaten alive by veterans rather than the guy who throws hard.

Being in AAA, he may get a confidence boost because of park factors which never hurts.

Comment

Originally posted by CrimsonCane View Post
              Is it the next level or a downgrade? Depending on what sentence I'm reading, you argue both in the same paragraph.
              Next level meaning going from Double to Triple-A.

Comment

Next level meaning going from Double to Triple-A.
                But, you also say the talent is worse. So, how can Dominguez not deserve to go to what according to you is an inferior league? It can't be both a promotion and a demotion at the same time.

I just find it odd that according to your reasoning, the front office could actually tell a player originally in AA, "Great work. Let's send you to the inferior league now."
                Last edited by CrimsonCane; 03-22-2011, 02:37 PM.

Comment

I guess my main point is about how different the PCL is from other leagues. It's like someone playing at Petco the entire year, or a small ballpark the entire year. People always get on players (Matt Holliday) because of their away numbers from Coors. I think sending Matt there would help him put up big numbers (Because of how the league and parks are,) but it would also give false numbers that he may not be able to put up just yet if they call him up to the big leagues.

Comment

That's quite different from "not deserving" to be in AAA.

Comment

Well, a guy who hits .252 in Double-A shouldn't be moved up. Yes, he hit 14 bombs, but I think he should have to do well in a league before being promoted, especially since his bat has always been his problem.

Comment

That's incredibly dumb.

Comment

I give up.

Comment

Sounds good guys. Nice talk.

Comment

Just so we're clear. AA is better than AAA in your mind. And Matt Dominguez didn't do well enough to move to an inferior league. Is this correct?

Comment

Dominguez facing one guy who is a legit ace and 5 "throwers" a week is not going to help him as much as facing actual pitchers and vets in AAA at this point. He should be in AAA so he can learn to recognize the secondary pitches better. And it's not like we play in Albuquerque anymore. I realize NOLA isn't exactly the Polo Grounds, but it's not the worst place to play either.

Comment

Working...
                                X