Badenhop and Sanches to Battle It Out Over Last Bullpen Spot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Badenhop and Sanches to Battle It Out Over Last Bullpen Spot

JUPITER — The day after the Marlins' season ended last October, pitcher Burke Badenhop reported to jury duty at the Palm Beach County courthouse. He wasn't picked to serve, but he did talk just a little baseball with the judge.

"The judge said, 'What do they call you on TV? The Hopper? That's right,' ' he recalled Sunday.

Badenhop's day in court, where he said he "served the great County of Palm Beach,' marked the start of a busy off-season: He got married, helped a friend write a book about financial planning and started co-writing a movie screenplay with his agent. ("It's a comedy,' he said, "so if the Farrelly brothers are out there listening, we'd love to have a shot.')

He hopes his upcoming baseball season with the Marlins is much busier.

Badenhop has turned out to be the biggest contributor of the six players the Marlins got in the trade that sent Miguel Cabrera and Dontrelle Willis to the Detroit Tigers in December 2007.

Although his ability to pitch multiple innings has made him a valuable reliever, he knows he might not necessarily be a lock to win a job this spring.

In an effort to rebuild a bullpen that led the National League with 25 blown saves last year, the Marlins acquired four new relief pitchers - left-handers Randy Choate and Mike Dunn and right-handers Edward Mujica and Ryan Webb.

"You don't really trade for those guys and then send them down,' said Badenhop, who went 2-5 with a 3.99 in 53 games in 2010. "In years past, the bullpen was kind of wide open. I think we have a better idea (this year).'

Leo Nunez is the closer for now, with Clay Hensley setting up. That leaves one bullpen spot open, with Badenhop and Brian Sanches as the top candidates.

Unless one of them is traded before April, Badenhop might appear to have an edge because the Marlins gave him a $750,000 contract in his first year of arbitration.

Sanches, who's eligible for arbitration next winter, was a valuable contributor for the Marlins, too, last year. He posted career highs in appearances (61) and innings (63 2/3) and a career low ERA (2.26).

"In this game you never want to get comfortable. In my career I've always had something to prove,' said Sanches.
    http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/...s/1269676.html

It really is a testament to how impressive the bullpen looks when you have these two guys battling it out for the last spot.

Comment

Badenhop is best.

Comment

Seems like a weird "battle." I know they want two lefties, but Dunn is a walk machine and we'd be more than adequate vs lefty heavy teams with Choate, Mujica, and Sanches/Nunez are alright against them. Just have to steer clear with Webb and Hopper. I think Sanches should be a lock (even though I think he is overachieving a little, still solid), and Hopper/Dunn dule it out.

Best idea is to trade Nunez for more help at 3B. Next best idea would be to send Dunn/Hopper to AAA, and if Dunn wins, just eat Hopper's salary while he's hanging out down there until someone inevitable gets injured and he comes up for his normal 70 innings pitched in blowouts.

I guess not a big deal. It's just we have.... two? three? position battles with 7th bullpen spot, Matt Dominguez vs the field, and backup outfielder. Yawn yawn yawn. Let's start the season.

Comment

Sanches is also out of options. That likely will give him the edge over Hopper since I doubt Sanches would clear waivers with as good as he's been the last couple of years.

Comment

I think it kinda sucks for Sanches because I feel as though he has kinda earned his spot in the bullpen with his numbers the past two year. I don't feel as though he has to fight for it after what he's done for us already. He's not great, but he's gotten the job done.
            LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

I could see Shawn Hill entering this battle, if he performs like Hensley did last year in ST.
              Originally posted by Matt Wilson
              Fish and Chips just became the smartest man on the board
              Tom Koehler(4-0)
              AAA: 7 GS, 40.2 IP, 2.66 ERA, 34 H, 12 ER, 17 BB, 31 SO, GO/AO 0.87, BAA .233 , 1.25 WHIP

Comment

Working...
              X