No announcement yet.

Spring Training Odds and Ends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ricky has a sore thumb.. Nothing serious..

Comment

famous last words, I'd bet fiddy bux he's on the DL at some point for it
      Originally posted by Madman81
      Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
      Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

JCRMarlinsbeat Juan C. Rodriguez

#Marlins manager Edwin Rodriguez said club will consider batting right-handed hitting Omar Infante 1st and left-handed hitting Coghlan 2nd.
        joecapMARLINS joe capozzi

Wes Helms tells 790 radio he'd like to play at least 3 more years including '11 then may retire, pursue coaching #Marlins

Comment

big fan of infante-coghlan as opposed to coghlan-infante
          --------------------
          nolasco not throwing off a mound for 7-10 days

and so it begins
          Last edited by emkayseven; 02-19-2011, 05:22 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
          Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.

Comment

joecapMARLINS: LHP Sean West not throwing bullpens yet because of left elbow discomfort. #Marlins
            /Twitter

Isn't that why he was shut down from the Arizona Fall League? Sounds like he may be headed for Tommy John surgery. Or he just can't stay healthy which is entirely likely since this is Sean West we're talking about here.

Comment

West is getting annoying. Ugh.
              --------------------
              Ceda banned from team until he loses 10 pounds lol:

Last edited by Miamarlin21; 02-19-2011, 06:07 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
              LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

That 2005 first round has kind of turned into a clunker.
                Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
                Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
                Noah Perio
                Jupiter
                39 AB
                15 H
                0 2B
                0 3B
                0 HR
                0 BB
                .385/.385/.385

Comment

I guess the FO is pissed that Ceda showed up overweight. Not sure why they're surprised. It's not like he hasn't always been overweight, including when we traded for him.

Comment

The way he is.. He is prolly one good shit away from losing that 10lbs

Comment

JUPITER -- They took the tendon from his left forearm to replace the ligament in his right elbow the first time surgeons performed Tommy John surgery on pitcher Shawn Hill. They took the hamstring from his left leg the second time they conducted the procedure.

Hill doesn’t know if his body can withstand a third such operation.

“I’m running out of spare parts,” Hill said with a smile.

Hill is a long shot to crack the starting rotation for the Marlins, which is all but set already.

But he already has overcome great odds just to be in spring training camp. He is among only a handful of players to twice undergo the procedure and return to pitch in the big leagues.

“There’s not many of us kicking around,” Hill said. “I know there’s single digits that have come back at least somewhat successfully, come back and done something.”

Hill mentioned Jose Rijo and Dodgers reliever Hong-Chih Kuo as pitchers who managed to work their way back from more than one Tommy John surgery. Rijo had it three times.

Former Marlins reliever Chad Fox also had it twice.

“There’s so few of us, I guess you can pat yourself on the back for making it back,” said Hill, who had the surgery in 2004 and ’09. He made it back from the second operation at the end of last season, when he made four starts for the Toronto Blue Jays.

Over parts of six seasons with the Expos, Nationals, Padres and Blue Jays, Hill has been limited to just 44 starts in the majors because of his history of arm problems. In addition to the two Tommy John surgeries, he also has had three arthroscopic procedures on the same elbow, as well as a nerve decompression operation on his left shoulder.

“I injured the shoulder running the bases against the Marlins [at Sun Life Stadium] back in ’07,” Hill said. “I subluxed it trying to avoid Hanley [Ramirez] in a rundown. They did the nerve decompression and flipped me over and did a scope, so it was a two-for-one.”

Hill has lost count of the number of doctors who have treated him.

“In 2007 and ’08, I went through a carousel of doctors,” he said. “I went to the Mayo Clinic. I went to a guy at Duke. I saw [Dr. James] Andrews and his nerve guy. I went to a bunch of different guys trying to get answers.”

The Marlins are hoping Hill, 29, is not only healthy, but effective. He said he signed with the Marlins over the Minnesota Twins because of pitching coach Randy St. Claire, was his pitching coach with the Nationals and Expos, and catcher John Buck, who was his teammate last season with Toronto.

“When he was healthy, he pitched well,” St. Claire said. “He’s a great sinkerball guy, a great competitor, and does everything well. It’s just that the arm didn’t hold up. He had a very promising career, and he still can have a good one.”

Hill could start the season at Triple A New Orleans, though he has an escape clause in his contract that allows him to go to another club if he doesn’t make the Marlins’ 25-man roster out of spring training.

“My main goal is to stay on the mound,” Hill said. “And I’ll just let them [the Marlins] figure out where I’m going.”

http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/02/2...#ixzz1EbTXufDG

Looked good in his 4 starts for the jays last year and his velocity was the same as the past and his gb/fb ratios were near the same as in 2007. If he's healthy I think he can steal a starting spot from someone...
                      "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
                      - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

Originally posted by flamarlin21 View Post
                        West is getting annoying. Ugh.
                        --------------------
                        Ceda banned from team until he loses 10 pounds lol:
                        Ceda overweight: Jose Ceda isn't in the Marlins' bullpen plans just yet, but the team is still upset with the right-handed reliever for reporting to camp overweight. He weighs about 288 pounds now, and the Marlins won't let him throw off the mound until he drops about 10 pounds.

Ceda, 24, is listed on the Marlins' roster at 6-foot-4 and 275 pounds

"It's not a drastic situation, but we just want to send the right message not only to him but to the other guys,' said manager Edwin Rodriguez. "Those days when you came to spring training to get into shape? Those days are over a long time ago.'

Acquired before the 2009 season from the Cubs in the Kevin Gregg trade, Ceda rose to Class AA Jacksonville last year before posting a 5.19 ERA in eight appearances for the Marlins after a September call-up.
                        http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/...s/1269676.html
                        --------------------
                        This just off the Twitter:

HeraldSports Miami Herald Sports

RT @clarkspencer: Overweight #Marlins reliever Jose Ceda must have met team's weight standard. He's throwing his first bullpen.
                        Last edited by Party; 02-21-2011, 09:30 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

who would he steal a spot from? I don't think there's been any indication that Volstad's spot is in doubt, so unless Anibal gets injured or something there's no reason to think he'd make the rotation out of camp. I do love having him as a backup in the minors though.

Comment

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIiHHr6soJg[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by markotsay7 View Post
                              who would he steal a spot from? I don't think there's been any indication that Volstad's spot is in doubt, so unless Anibal gets injured or something there's no reason to think he'd make the rotation out of camp. I do love having him as a backup in the minors though.
                              it can always be a rainy spring...
                              --------------------
                              Originally posted by Claudio Vernight View Post
                              http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/...s/1269676.html
                              --------------------
                              This just off the Twitter:
                              10 pounds of water weight.
                              Last edited by Ralph; 02-21-2011, 10:26 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
                              "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
                              - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

Jose Ceda was back on the mound Monday, but the Marlins' pitching prospect is still being held out of group workouts until he reaches his target weight.

Ceda threw a 35-pitch bullpen session at roughly 8:30 a.m. ET, observed by pitching coach Randy St. Claire.

Because he came into camp overweight, the Marlins are not allowing the right-hander to take part in drills with the team. The team is looking for him to drop about eight to 10 pounds from his current 288-pound frame.

Ceda is projected to start the season at Triple-A New Orleans.

"He's doing everything, but not with the group, until he makes his target weight," St. Claire said.

Monday was the first day Ceda threw off the mound since pitchers and catchers started Spring Training on Friday. Prior to the official workouts, the right-hander threw off the mound last Thursday.
                                Weight issue has Ceda out of group workouts

Comment

Working...
                                X