This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hanley Ramirez 2011: Knocking on .250's Door

Nova High School’s baseball team beat Miramar 10-0 last night, and some credit might go to Marlins shortstop Hanley Ramirez.

Ramirez didn’t play in the game, although for a few memorable moments (which we’ll get to later) some of the high school kids thought he might. But the Marlins’ three-time All Star definitely put a charge into the kids with an unexpected visit to the school’s batting cages in Davie.

“He just kind of showed up,” said Scott Kleiman, an attorney whose son Zach plays for the Nova Titans.

Hanley Ramirez with Nova's freshman first baseman Brandon McCalla. Photo courtesy of Scott Kleiman

Nova high’s baseball facilities, with four indoor batting cages, over the years have attracted major league players living in South Florida who are looking to take a few swings in the off-season — from Manny Ramirez to Cliff Floyd.
    Around 6 p.m. last night, Nova High players preparing for their game noticed Hanley in one of the cages with Mike Morse of the Nationals and Rangers catcher Mike Napoli.

At first, Hanley started off taking swings left-handed, according to Kleiman. Then, the three-time All Star switched to his usual right-handed stance and took cuts.

“Here goes Hanley, and all of these kids followed him in like a magnet. The kids kind of flocked in to watch him hit,” said Kleiman, who volunteers as the scorebaord operator and PA announcer.

“All of the younger kids, sophomores and freshmen and some juniors who weren’t going to be playing, all flooded into the cage to take a look.”

As word spread, the crowd around the cages grew.

Hanley Ramirez prepares to swing at Nova High's batting cage as Mike Napoli watches. Photo courtesy of Scott Kleiman

“A lot of kids were peering in from outside the door to look and see,” Kleiman said.
    “They don’t get to see that very often. They were also impressed by his size. They’re used to seeing him sitting in the stands or on TV. They don’t get to stand within a few feet of him and see how big he is.”

Soon, Kleiman was in the press box, playing high-intensity music as he prepared pre-game introductions — as he names off the players in the batting order, each kid runs through a tunnel of the non-starters and onto the field.

“My son bats ninth, so he’s in the back as we’re doing the introductions,” Kleiman said.

“I kick on the music. Hanley hears the music. Looks through some of the holes in the concrete block. Can’t really see, so he comes into line with the kids to see what’s going on.

“Then gets in line between our fifth and sixth hitters. He’s bouncing up and down and acting like he’s going to run out. Runs by a couple of of the kids but never comes out of the dugout and laughs and circles back around.

“He was getting all hyped up with them, which got the kids all hyped up, too!”

Kleiman was impressed that Ramirez was seen sitting in the stands along the third-base line, watching at least part of the game.

“Some of us were joking that maybe Hanley was the second-best shortstop at the facility last night,” Kleiman said, “behind our kid, our senior starter, George Gugino.”

Ramirez will report to Jupiter soon, in time for the Marlins’ first full-squad workouts on Feb. 22. On Tuesday, he’ll take batting practice at the new Marlins’ ballpark in downtown Miami along with Mike Stanton, Chris Coghlan, Gaby Sanchez, John Buck and Logan Morrison. (The event is for media only and not open to the public. The ballpark, still under construction, is on schedule to open in 2012.)

As the Marlins prepare for their final year at Sun Life Stadium, Ramirez is looking to bounce back from what he considers a sub-par 2010 season.

After winning the NL batting title in 2009 by hitting .342, he hit an even .300 last year and sat out most of September complaining about sore elbows. It’s encouraging to see that he’s getting some pre-spring work in — and having fun in the process.

“It was fun,” Kleiman said. “The kids all got a good charge out of it. They were all talking about it after the game as well as, I’m sure, during the game.”
    http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/marli...a-high-school/

NSU represent.

Comment

Hanley Wants to Be a Team Leader

Hanley Ramirez’s new Aston Martin Rapide sports car has a base price of $199,995 — a little less than half the minumum Major League salary of $414,000.

But after backing the car into a front office member’s parking spot this morning at Roger Dean Stadium, Ramirez was anything but brash and flashy in his comments with reporters.

OK, his ear went bling-bling when the sun bounced off a diamond stud, but Ramirez was humble — and he sounded hungry about 2011.

“I like the challenge that I’ve got to take the team to the playoffs,” he said. “That’s my challenge this year. That’s my goal. I’m gonna put them on my back and go all the way to the end, hard every day.”

On the playoffs: “I want to know what it feels like. I’m tired of watching it on TV. I want to be in there.”

Ramirez said he’s ready to be a clubhouse leader, a role that manager Edwin Rodriguez brought up in December and repeated again this afternoon.

“We all know what he can do on the field,” Edwin said, “but he is maturing. He is only 27. We’ve been very patient with him. He’s ready to take this team to the next level. He should be the one taking this team to the next level because of his abilities.”

Ramirez, who will make $11 million this year, is eager to improve on last year, when he finished with an even .300 batting average after missing most of September with sore elbows.

But being a team leader might look like a bigger challenge.

The 2010 season included an ugly episode in May when he publicly ripped then-manager Fredi Gonzalez for benching him. (Ramirez was benched for loafing after a ball that he’d kicked.)

And he has clashed with teammates, including Dan Uggla.

Ramirez gets along well with Rodriguez. With a few new faces in camp, he has a chance to blossom into the leader the Marlins want.

It’s up to him to make that happen.
      Is Hanley Ramirez ready to be Florida Marlins team leader?

Comment

His ear went bling-bling

Comment

On the playoffs: “I want to know what it feels like. I’m tired of watching it on TV. I want to be in there.”
          love it

Comment

Originally posted by mbaamin08 View Post
            “That’s my challenge this year. That’s my goal. I’m gonna put them on my back and go all the way to the end, hard every day.”

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1P0yfq2wDvU[/ame]
            LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

I'll believe it when I see it.

Comment

Yeah, I don't really believe he wants to be a leader, either. Do I believe he wants to make it to the playoffs? Yes. Win MVP? Absolutely. Both of those mean more money for Hanley. I just don't see him as the kind of clubhouse leader the front office wants him to be.

Comment

He's never articulated that desire before and it's well known that he kept away from the "leader" role in prior seasons. If he didn't have a change of heart, why bother saying it so forcefully now?

I wonder how much Uggla's departure has impacted Hanley reconsidering his leadership role on the team.

Comment

HanleyRamirez Hanley Ramirez

Sure all dayRT @l2inaldi: are you gonna hustle this year @HanleyRamirez ?
                    Hanley's twitter

Comment

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=6191417

MVP.

Comment

fucking awesome

i love him again
                        Originally posted by Madman81
                        Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                        Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

He's fucking jacked.

Comment

Hanley's job isn't to pat guys on the back in the clubhouse and be a leader. Edwin Rodriguez and Wes Helms are being paid enough money to fill that role.

Comment

Alrighty

Comment

Working...
                              X