Comparing the 2005 Design with the Final Product

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comparing the 2005 Design with the Final Product

Found some of these earlier. These make for some interesting comparisons.

As you may remember, the 2005 ballpark plan fell through when the state legislature failed to pass a $45 million tax exemption that would have completed the funding component. This ballpark would have been on the east side of the Orange Bowl property, just a few hundred feet from the current ballpark. Because the Orange Bowl renovation was still seen as viable, the city was prepared to acquire several properties adjacent to the east boundary to fit the ballpark. The retractable dome would have opened over parts of the Orange Bowl's upper deck.

Final

Several major changes to the final design here. First and most obvious is the tower. Brendt O'Connell who was at HOK at the time, told me the plans before this one had a 300-400 foot tower serving mainly as an entrance for VIPs. The 2005 design had a tower half that height. The tower was eliminated in the final design.

This a DOWNGRADE.

On the southwest corner, the ramp in the 2005 design was right up against the ballpark, barely noticeable in the renderings. This had to be done due to the proximity to the Orange Bowl. In the final design, with the Orange Bowl out of the picture, the ramp was extended away from the ballpark adding another feature to the exterior.

This is an UPGRADE.

In Safeco and Minute Maid Park retractable roof tracks are not architecturally appealing. This was going to hold true in the 2005 design even though that palm tree look is there. However, in the final design these columns were transformed from an architectural afterthought to a central piece of the ballpark's presentation.

This is an UPGRADE.

Final

Final

With the Orange Bowl out of the picture, a plaza was added on the western side of the ballpark. It remains to be seen if the pond is still in the plans (some more recently renderings do not make it clear), but in a city where green space is not exactly easy to find (probably a shock for most people who don't live here) this is a welcome addition.

I consider this an UPGRADE.

Final

Couple of minute changes here.

First, the roof panels in the original design are bulkier. In the final design, they are much sleeker. This is a common theme throughout the ballpark, especially in the facade on the eastern and western sides.

I consider this an UPGRADE.

The upper deck in the original design is completely intact. In the final design, mostly likely due to cutting costs, the upper deck was split into various sections and the super columns brought closer and lower to each other. While it makes the roof seem less imposing and the ballpark more open to those sitting behind home plate, some seats (a couple dozen at most) in the upper deck will have obstructed views of the field.

The stationary portion of the roof on the western side was enlarged between the 2005 and final designs.

I consider this a DRAW.

Final

Again, the design was refined and made sleeker than the original design. The final design is less like an airplane hangar and more like a modern stadium. The glass was expanded around centerfield and into rightcenter on the south side and closer to third base on the north side. A concrete structure with MARLINS running down the side was eliminated and that patio deck looking thing (lulz) was brought down and made into a very attractive entry. All these changes make for a ballpark that is more open to those inside.

This is an UPGRADE.

The final product is very similar to Brendt O'Connell's original design. But several changes were made-- IMO for the better. The facade of the building was refined. The curves are sleeker/sharper and the entire structure is more open. It's hard to find the exact words to describe it, but it looks more Miami and less like an arena/hanger.

The one serious complaint I have about the final design are the parking garages. The garages sort of separate the ballpark from the neighborhood compared to the original design. In the original, two sides the ballpark would have been directly across the street from homes, integrating the ballpark more seamlessly with the neighborhood. BUT one of the drawbacks to that would have been parking-- especially UM games. One garage was planned, but it was probably not going to compensate for all the parking lost to a 15 acre stadium. Even now, with four garages planned "no blocky, blocky" is still going to be part of the experience for many.
    Last edited by Party; 01-14-2011, 01:06 AM.

In my opinion, the lack of a tower is an upgrade. I don't think it looked good at all. And, if it was going to be used exclusively for VIPs, that's pretty lame.

Also, in that final 2005 picture, that futuristic boat looking thing is all kinds of awful.

As for parking, I'm glad they have those parking garages. The surrounding area is nothing right now where you'd really want to be walking around there. If they eventually develop restaurants and bars around the stadium, I don't think the proximity of the parking garages will deter people from visiting those places.

The stadium as designed today is a big time improvement.
    Last edited by CrimsonCane; 01-15-2011, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Yeah, the final product is far nicer, but I did like the 2005 tower. For VIP use only might be great for heavy hitters like Ramp and CC, but I think it's lame if used in such a fashion. I think I like it partly because it reminds me of The Gherkin in London, which I think is one of my favorite buildings in the world. I also like the parking garages since the area there sucks.

Also, if stores go into the bottom of the parking garage, that'd be kinda cool and could potentially keep people around the stadium too until the area gets to be a bit more developed.
      This post was brought to you by: Dat SEC Speed

Comment

Fritz,

That is the plan for the parking garages.

The two garages on the south side of the site are going to gave condos:

I believe the key to development will be the lots on the eastern and western portions of the site.There is a small office building right next to the NW parking garage. It would look incredibly out of place when the ballpark opens. That lot is going to be a very good barometer as to what happens with the neighborhood. It is in a prime location directly across the street from the home plate entrance the ballpark. It is the only privately owned land in such a location. The rest of the land surrounding the ballpark is owned by the county and is destined to become surface lots (unless there are plan to lease it). There was also talk of a national hotel chain opening up nearby, so far I have not seen anything to confirm this.

For reference:

It really sucks that the real estate market in South Florida is so bad. The redevelopment never got a chance to get up that far north and the proposals along the Miami River fell apart. That neighborhood is less than a mile from downtown and would be a good location for anyone looking to be a few minutes from work without having to live on the 30th floor of a condo in Brickell.
        Last edited by Party; 01-16-2011, 01:02 AM.

Comment

I'd love some bars and restaurants to open around the stadium where people could hang out and whatnot. I know it's probably impossible with the fan base down here, but the environment around Wrigley is amazing. Different kind of town here, but it would still be cool to have something along those lines around this ball park.

I haven't been down to the AAA in a while, but how is it like around there when the Heat play now. Do people actually hang out at the places down the street? What is it Bayside or something?

Comment

Is the county land going to be surface lots because there is no alternative use planned at the moment, or were surface lots planned from the beginning? I detest the idea of surface lots for what this stadium is trying to create.

Comment

I don't know. I've always thought they were placeholders if the demand were there.

The plans on the western side changed twice. At first the ballfield that is currently on the southernmost lot was going to be moved to the northernmost lot. In the final renderings the park is gone.

Comment

I prefer it without the tower, but agree with the rest of your comments.

Comment

Working...
                X