No announcement yet.

2011 Lineup Set?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would say for a converted IFer A corner outfield spot in DS might be more difficulty play than CF, given the lights at DS and the way the ball comes off the bat towards the corners.
    poop

Comment

Chris Coghlan hasn't played a day in center field. But the Marlins - who have pledged a new commitment to defense - say they are confident he can handle the position next year because of how easily he switched from second base to left field as a rookie in 2009.

It's a plan that has some baseball observers at the winter meetings shaking their heads.

"I heard the same stuff with Alfonso Soriano when we moved him from second to left (field),' said Jim Bowden, who was general manager of the Washington Nationals in 2006. "I had very good baseball people tell me, 'Just put him in center and he'll be fine.' We experimented with that. It did not work.'

It didn't work for a star like Soriano. Still, the Marlins are counting on Coghlan to be the centerpiece - literally - of what likely will be the least experienced outfield in the majors.

Neither of Florida's corner outfielders has played a full season in the majors. Logan Morrison, a first baseman, debuted for the Marlins in left field in July. Right fielder Mike Stanton was called up in June.

"There is not great concern on the club's part with those three guys in the outfield,' Marlins baseball operations president Larry Beinfest said.

"With Chris, we have to take what we know: He made himself a left fielder in a short period of time, so we believe he'll be able to take that over to center field.'

Coghlan said he won't start any center-field drills until January. He started a running program almost four weeks ago as part of his rehabilitation from season-ending surgery Aug. 11 to repair a torn meniscus in his left knee.

"Center field is going to be fun. I've got confidence in my ability to be able to play that position at a high level,' said Coghlan, who had been penciled in to play third base before he injured his knee July 25.

"I take it as a challenge, like I did with left field. Any time you switch to a new position, there's going to be some new things that you're going to have to adjust on the fly to. But I feel like I'm athletic enough and that I've played enough in the outfield that it's going be fun.'

That doesn't mean it's going to be easy.

"Whether he can handle center or not, I just don't know,' said former New York Mets general manager Jim Duquette. "Center field is a tougher position for him to go in there and handle it in an above average way. That's one I kind of circle and say let's see how the spring goes and how the start of the season goes with him in center.'

Bowden said he wouldn't be surprised if, at some point next season, Coghlan moves to second base and infielder Omar Infante takes over in center. Infante now is the likely replacement for second baseman Dan Uggla.

"To me, the whole key to the center fielder isn't just (moving) left, right, what you get to. It's how many singles do you take away out front,' said Bowden, an analyst for Fox Sports. "Look at Andruw Jones. The Braves' pitching was great and he caught everything out there."

Beinfest said "there's always a chance" the Marlins could trade for a center fielder before spring training. But for now, they're committed to giving Coghlan a chance.
      Florida Marlins front office confident that Chris Coghlan can make move to center field

Comment

Just play deep. Id rather you have balls fall in front of you than go over your head.
        poop

Comment

Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
          Well, what has he done to make anyone think he CAN'T patrol CF adequately?

I realize he's never played there before, but he had never played LF before his switch to that position in '09 either.
          He sucked in LF?

Comment

joecapMARLINS joe capozzi
            Edwin: #marlins tentative lineup: cf coghlan, 2b infante, ss hanley, Rf stanton, lf LoMo, 1b Gaby, c Buck, 3b dominguez, rhp jj
            - teh tweets

Comment

Random thoughts on Dominguez

Zimmerman, .898 OPS, UZR 13.9, 7.2 WAR
              Beltre, .918 OPS, UZR 11.8, 7.1 WAR
              Longoria .879 OPS, UZR 11.1, 6.9 WAR
              Rolen .856 OPS UZR 10.6, 5.0 WAR
              Headley .702 OPS. UZR 16.5, 4.6 WAR
              Wright .857, -10.6 UZR, 4.1 WAR

There were the top 6 most valuable 3B (took out Bautista because he was all over) according to fangraphs last year. I know it's a really simple gloss over all in offense/defense, but you get the idea. I'm just doing this quick. Someone obviously doesn't belong in this group, or so you'd think.

Now looking at the "high" and the "low" together (and I know this is rough, nny/someone feel free to blast excel or correct)

Headley .702 OPS. UZR 16.5, 4.6 WAR
              Jose Lopez, .609 OPS, 10.1 UZR, 0.7 WAR

If Dominguez can split this difference and hit .650 with a 12+ UZR, we're probably looking at a 2-2.5 WAR player or, what Gaby Sanchez did last year hitting a .788 OPS.

This may not be such a bad idea IF Dominguez can smack a few extra base hits and defense is as advertised. And if he pulls a Headley, awesome.

Comment

That's not a horrible looking lineup.

Comment

Working...
                X