X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2011 Lineup Set?

Uh oh.

Marlins every day lineup set
    Barring anything unforeseen, the Marlins' every day lineup is set. At least, the lineup the team envisions when Spring Training opens.

Around the horn, the team plans on going with John Buck (catcher), Gaby Sanchez (first base), Omar Infante (second base), Hanley Ramirez (shortstop), Matt Dominguez (third base), Logan Morrison (left field), Chris Coghlan (center field) and Mike Stanton (right field).

A few weeks ago, Florida explored some possible center field options. They were linked to having interest in Arizona's Justin Upton.

MLB.com has learned the Marlins also inquired about Tampa Bay's B.J. Upton. But the asking price didn't match.

The Marlins have no intention of trading their young core of players -- Coghlan, Morrison, Sanchez and Stanton. If Dominguez isn't ready, there is a chance the team could move some pieces around. Wes Helms could play third. Another scenario would be Emilio Bonifacio playing second and Infante sliding over to third.

-- Joe Frisaro
    LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

This really doesn't say anything we didn't know and doesn't even have quotes. It's just JoeFrah talkin some creme fraiche.

Comment

True, but I still hate the idea.

Comment

Cogs in CF is going to be Must See TV

Comment

Which part?... I assume you mean Coghlan in CF? Assuming he's gonna practice over the next few months (when he can), I'm not as angry about that move as most are. If he's truly abysmal in CF, I don't expect him to last there for too long. As for Dominguez, if he earns the spot in ST, more power to him.

Comment

I will gladly eat crow for this down the road but I'm relatively confident that Cogs will struggle in CF. Such a hard position to play in that stadium. FO is setting up for failure IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Ramp View Post
              Which part?... I assume you mean Coghlan in CF? Assuming he's gonna practice over the next few months (when he can), I'm not as angry about that move as most are. If he's truly abysmal in CF, I don't expect him to last there for too long. As for Dominguez, if he earns the spot in ST, more power to him.
              Both really, more so the latter.

Comment

I have no problem with the FO grooming Coghlan as the CF, but i want the marlins to have a backup plan encase it does fail.

I'll feel alot more comfortable with this team if we got a decent 4th OF that could start if need be, like a Dukes, Hairston or Lewis. That case if CC proves to be LOL THATS SO MARLINS bad, we can move CC to 3B and move Dominguez to AAA. And this could also serve as a backup plan if Dominguez seems overmatched.

We have a bigger payroll right now, so we shouldnt find ourselves in the same situation we were in 2009, when the marlins had no legit options behind Boner. Sign a veteran option or trade for someone late in ST.
                Originally posted by Matt Wilson
                Fish and Chips just became the smartest man on the board
                Tom Koehler(4-0)
                AAA: 7 GS, 40.2 IP, 2.66 ERA, 34 H, 12 ER, 17 BB, 31 SO, GO/AO 0.87, BAA .233 , 1.25 WHIP

Comment

But really the question should be:

What has Cogs done to make anyone think he can patrol CF adequately?

Comment

He has done nothing to suggest it.

Comment

Originally posted by Namaste View Post

Well, what has he done to make anyone think he CAN'T patrol CF adequately?

I realize he's never played there before, but he had never played LF before his switch to that position in '09 either.

Comment

Well, he sucks in LF.

Comment

Originally posted by rmc523 View Post

I realize he's never played there before, but he had never played LF before his switch to that position in '09 either.
                          He wasn't any good in a LF.

Comment

Originally posted by rmc523 View Post

Generally when I'm thinking about whether to switch a player to a new position, I want the burden of proof to be on the player proving he's able to do something, rather than having someone prove the player can't do something. It's a much safer way to maneuver the defensive alignment.

Comment

Originally posted by Namaste View Post

Nothing, which makes me think that its postering by the FO so they have leverage in trades for CFers.

They have inquired on both Justin and BJ Upton, so they are actively searching for guys.
                              Originally posted by Matt Wilson
                              Fish and Chips just became the smartest man on the board
                              Tom Koehler(4-0)
                              AAA: 7 GS, 40.2 IP, 2.66 ERA, 34 H, 12 ER, 17 BB, 31 SO, GO/AO 0.87, BAA .233 , 1.25 WHIP

Comment

Working...
                              X