This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marlins Close to Signing John Buck

Ken_Rosenthal: #Marlins close to signing free-agent catcher John Buck to three-year deal. #BlueJays #MLB
    /Twitter

Marlins Close to Signing John Buck to 3 Year Deal

per Ken Rosenthal's twitter

Comment

I don't know if this is good or bad.

Comment

3 years seems like a bit much, but having a veteran catcher wouldn't be the worst thing ever.... could be a nice little 1-2 punch with Johnny Bakes
        Last edited by Ramp; 11-16-2010, 05:49 PM.

Comment

Depends on the figures, last year seemed like a fluke, he hasn't done much in his career apart from last year. Wonder what the numbers are.. 3/15?

Comment

Definitely think the Marlins are worried about losing some of Uggla's homerun power

Big Z, his 2009 was similar to 2010 (slugging wise)

Comment

Originally posted by Big Z View Post
              I don't know if this is good or bad.
              Depends on the price. His last 600 PA have been a high .790(eyeball)ish level of production, and murders lefties.

If we're paying him $5-6 plus.... not good, but if it's a high 3/low 4, average, not bad at all. I think I am ok with 3/$12... but I will have to look at this harder after work. Hopefully it's a 2 year deal, with an option if he breaks out. That would be perfect.

And this makes so much sense as he can blast 20 in 400 AB, and that makes up Uggla's longballs overnight.
              --------------------
              16/111 BB/K last year though
              Last edited by lou; 11-16-2010, 02:18 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

any idea how he is defensively? I haven't really heard much of him since I don't pay too much attention to the AL, and it's hard to get defense from numbers alone. The team could really use a solid defensive catcher.

Comment

Career Fielding:

.991 FPCT
                  .26 CS%
                  --------------------
                  jonmorosi Source tells me that John Buck's three-year deal with #Marlins could be worth more than $15 million. #Florida #MLB
                  Last edited by Big Z; 11-16-2010, 02:31 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Originally posted by lou View Post
                    Depends on the price. His last 600 PA have been a high .790(eyeball)ish level of production, and murders lefties.

If we're paying him $5-6 plus.... not good, but if it's a high 3/low 4, average, not bad at all. I think I am ok with 3/$12... but I will have to look at this harder after work. Hopefully it's a 2 year deal, with an option if he breaks out. That would be perfect.

And this makes so much sense as he can blast 20 in 400 AB, and that makes up Uggla's longballs overnight.
                    --------------------
                    16/111 BB/K last year though
                    Eh, he hit 20 in a homer friendly park/division. His career OPS in Kansas City was .705.

Comment

Ken_Rosenthal: RT @jonmorosi: Source tells me that John Buck's three-year deal with #Marlins could be worth more than $15 million. #Florida #MLB
                      /Twitter

Comment

Jesus H(anley) Christ that better be incentive-laden.

Comment

I don't have too much of a problem with it at 4-5 mil a year, especially if there are incentives or an option/buyout for that 3rd year. Yeah last year seems to have been a fluke, but he's "okay" defensively and a consistent .700+ OPS bat. At a position like catcher, that's not bad.
                          Originally posted by Madman81
                          Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                          Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Wow, this caught me off guard (the years). I do not think he will put up his 2010 numbers. I've never been a fan of him, just glad the Marlins are doing something.
                            LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

Is he going to play full time or platoon with Baker when he returns?

Comment

Working...
                              X