Marlins Trade Andrew Miller to Boston for Dustin Richardson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marlins Trade Andrew Miller to Boston for Dustin Richardson

JCRMarlinsbeat: #Marlins acquire LHP Dustin Richardson from the Boston Red Sox for LHP Andrew Miller.
    /Twitter

Miller is gone!!!

not really sure we should be jumping for joy here

Comment

Richardson's had good K/9 in the minors, but in the majors last year he appeared in 26 games and had 14 BB in 13 innings.

Unless this freed up significant salary (which it did not), then meh.

Comment

Miller had no spot on this team next year. He was AWFUL in the rotation and he is no where near consistent enough to rely on him in the bullpen. And he's out of options so you can't stash him in AAA again. At least Richardson gives us a lefty reliever for the bullpen. Who knows how he'll do coming into the NL instead of pitching in the AL?
        --------------------
        Originally posted by wanks1212 View Post
        Richardson's had good K/9 in the minors, but in the majors last year he appeared in 26 games and had 14 BB in 13 innings.

Unless this freed up significant salary (which it did not), then meh.
        It does a little, though. Miller was still going to make somewhere in the neighborhood of $1 million dollars. Do you want to spend that on him?
        Last edited by THE_REAL_MIBS; 11-12-2010, 05:11 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Originally posted by mbaamin08 View Post
          Miller had no spot on this team next year. He was AWFUL in the rotation and he is no where near consistent enough to rely on him in the bullpen. And he's out of options so you can't stash him in AAA again. At least Richardson gives us a lefty reliever for the bullpen. Who knows how he'll do coming into the NL instead of pitching in the AL?
          Richardson has turrble control too.
          poop

Comment

Does he still have options?

Comment

Options to suck!

/bringingmuchtothetable
              --------------------
              He has options left. But he's pretty mediocre by the numbers.

Kind of crazy that his control has been a lot worse as a reliever. His K/9 numbers have been a lot better too, though. I guess worst case scenario he can be cool.
              --------------------
              I hate that minorleaguesplits.com is down.

Last year is all I can find, but he did have a 28/12 K/BB ratio against LHB. Still 12 BBs in 16 IP, but it looks like LHB couldn't hit him at all last year. Maybe he can be a low leverage LOOGY which is like the least useful major league arm possible, which still might be more useful than Andrew Miller.
              Last edited by Bobbob1313; 11-12-2010, 05:23 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
              poop

Comment

I have options, would be much cheaper and I am a clubhouse prankser/pieguy

Comment

Miller and Maybin!

That was the hype spun by the Marlins at the winter meetings in December 2007 when Florida traded two of its biggest stars — Miguel Cabrera and Dontrelle Willis — to the Detroit Tigers.

Yes, two fan favorites were gone but the Marlins were getting six players in return, led by two top prospects and former first-round draft picks LHP Andrew Miller and CF Cameron Maybin.

Not quite three years later, the Marlins are parting ways with Miller. He was traded today to the Boston Red Sox for LHP Dustin Richardson.

Miller is loaded with potential but he never blossomed into the front-line starting pitcher the Marlins had hoped.

Miller was out of options, so the Marlins had to at least try to make a trade to get someone in return for him. He went 10-20 in his three seasons with the Marlins, including 1-5 with an 8.54 ERA this year.

Miller’s highlight in 2010? He combined with two other Class A Jupiter Hammerheads pitchers to throw a no-hitter in the Florida State League.

Richardson, 26, split time between triple-A Pawtucket and Boston in 2010. At the Major League level he had no record and a 4.15 ERA (13.0 IP/6 ER) in 26 relief appearances. Of 26 runners inherited, only seven came around to score, marking the third-best percentage among Red Sox relievers. In 32 games with the PawSox he went 3-0 with two saves and a 2.66 ERA (44.0 IP/13 ER).

The native of Newton, KS, was originally selected by Boston in the fifth round of the 2006 First-Year Player Draft. In 29 career ML games he has no record and a 3.31 ERA (16.1 IP/6 ER). He has 142 minor league appearances, which includes 50 starts, compiling a 25-21 record with eight saves and a 3.95 ERA (395.0 IP/172 ER).

Now, the focus will be on Cameron Maybin.

He’ll be given the chance to start in center field again. He had that chance this year and spent a good part of the season in the minors.

Maybin did have his most productive Marlins season in 2010 — he hit .234 with 8 homers and 28 RBI in 82 games. The Marlins signaled that Maybin would get another chance in August when they let the Giants claim Cody Ross on waivers.

What does everyone out there think? Will we be reading a year from now that Maybin has been traded away? Or will Maybin in 2011 have that break-out year the Marlins are hoping for?
                  Florida Marlins part ways with Andrew Miller; Will Cameron Maybin stick?

Comment

More than happy with this trade. I wish we got a "jose alvarez" tacked on like we did with Hermida/Jones but I like Richardson a lot more than I liked jones. We seem to like to trade fallen prospects to boston for LOOGYs though

Comment

A couple comments from Beinfest;

"He worked hard and did everything he could," President of Baseball Operations Larry Beinfest said. "He just never really got there with us and that's unfortunate. Andrew had a lot of opportunity here. He's still relatively young and we recognize that. Maybe the old change of scenery, and I don't like to use that a lot, but maybe it'll be beneficial for him. He really, really tried and the organization really, really tried to get him to fulfill his potential and it just didn't happen."

"We had an opportunity to pick up a young left-handed reliever who we think has a really good arm and we want to give him a shot," Beinfest said. "It's about throwing strikes. The stuff is really good with Richardson. He had very limited opportunity in the big leagues. He has good minor league numbers and the stuff is good. He has good size and we have control obviously with his service time and with options, so we thought it made sense. We think there's upside with this kid."
                      Marlins trade underachieving lefty Miller to Red Sox
                      Last edited by THE_REAL_MIBS; 11-12-2010, 07:32 PM.

Comment

Well that leaves one less guy vying for a rotation spot.

I really don't see Richardson doing much for us. We shall see.
                        LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

The Cabrera deal just gets worse and worse. It's the shit that keeps on shitting.

Comment

Well, as for the Miguel trade, yes we shit the bed on that one. We win some, we lose some. We really don't need to dwell on the past anymore and just forget about it to be honest.
                            LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

I'm not dwelling. When a key piece in that trade leaves the organization it's a comment not a dwell.

If I was talking about how bad the Cabrera trade was 20 days ago it would have been a dwell.

Kisses

Comment

Working...
                              X