Marlins to Retain Edwin Rodriguez As Manager; Perry Hill Also Returning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marlins to Retain Edwin Rodriguez As Manager; Perry Hill Also Returning

The Marlins won't be hiring a 10th manager in the franchise's 18-year history. They've determined the ninth will do just fine.

Tuesday, Edwin Rodriguez met with owner Jeffrey Loria in New York City, where he was offered and accepted the job to remain in the position he took over in June, when the club fired Fredi Gonzalez. An official announcement is expected Wednesday.

Rodriguez was managing Triple-A New Orleans when he assumed the reins on an interim basis. The Marlins announced he would keep the job through season's end in the aftermath of negotiations breaking down with Bobby Valentine. The Marlins went 46-46 under Rodriguez.

Pitching coach Randy St. Claire, who signed a two-year deal before last season, will return to Rodriguez's staff. Also coming back are Brandon Hyde (bench coach), John Mallee (hitting coach) and Joe Espada (third base coach).

The Marlins also will announce the return of infield and first base coach Perry Hill, who was held the same position with the club from 2002-06.

Former third base coach Bo Porter, the other confirmed candidate for the job, accepted a position as the Washington Nationals' third-base coach. Porter interviewed for the Marlins' job in June, but finished the season as the Diamondbacks' bench coach under Kirk Gibson.
    Rodriguez to remain Marlins manager

Perry Hill returning is for me.
    poop

Comment

This is a good decision.

Comment

This is all for me

Comment

Well, at least 1 player likes this move, too.

brett_hayes: Heard Edwin Rodriguez was coming back. We shall see if those reports turn out to be true. I sure hope they do!
          /Twitter

Comment

Excellent news

Comment

I'm also glad that Brett Hayes is happy.

Comment

I know nothing of Edwin Rodriguez. But I do know every I see the Mexican baseball manager of Kenny Power's team on Eastbound and Down...that is Edwin Rodriguez.

Comment

Cool on Perry and Espada too.
                  "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
                  - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

I enjoy this.
                    Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
                    Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
                    Noah Perio
                    Jupiter
                    39 AB
                    15 H
                    0 2B
                    0 3B
                    0 HR
                    0 BB
                    .385/.385/.385

Comment

wish we had a more established bench coach but I'm super excited that edwin is coming back and that we got perry back too!
                      Originally posted by Madman81
                      Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                      Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

It's official.

MarlinsMedia: #Marlins extend contract of manager Edwin Rodriguez through 2011 season
                        /Twitter

Perry Hill has been confirmed as returning as well.
                        --------------------
                        Originally posted by markotsay7 View Post
                        wish we had a more established bench coach but I'm super excited that edwin is coming back and that we got perry back too!
                        I've always liked Brandon Hyde ever since he was managing our AA teams. I like that he's returning as bench coach. Actually, I'm quite happy with everything. Love the return of Perry Hill. Espada did a good job at third. Mallee has worked with all of our hitters for a while (especially the young guys) and I love the Edwin gets a shot to manage from day 1.
                        Last edited by THE_REAL_MIBS; 11-03-2010, 10:34 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Some tidbits from Twitter:

JCRMarlinsbeat: Larry Beinfest: Several candidates considered, but #marlins kept coming back to Edwin Rodriguez.

JCRMarlinsbeat: Rodriguez: "Number one priority should be improving the defense." On Perry Hill: "Best infield coach in the business." #Marlins

joecapMARLINS: Edwwin -- watching the world series give me more reason to believe we have what it takes, made me feel more confident #Marlins

joecapMARLINS: Edwin said it took Loria 2 minutes yesterday to offer him the job, then they spent 2 hours talking about how to improve #Marlins in 2011
                          --------------------
                          A little more:

JCRMarlinsbeat: Edwin: "This 2011 season we're going to see a different Hanley Ramirez...The relationship with Hanley was excellent." #marlins

joecapMARLINS: Edwin said Hanley called him and said both of us are going to have good seasons in 2011 #Marlins

joecapMARLINS: Edwin said Loria didn't explain why he offered only one-year x. but i understand the business side of things. It doesnt bother me #Marlins

JCRMarlinsbeat: Edwin: "The formula we're going to use is mastering the basics...That's what we can expect [in 2011]." #Marlins
                          Last edited by THE_REAL_MIBS; 11-03-2010, 12:36 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Well I mean once Bobby said no and Bo Porter went elsewhere, of course it took us 2 minutes to offer the job to Edwin.

And damn right Hanley better have a good season in 2011. This year was some serious bullshit.

Comment

...But does he know the game??????

Comment

Working...
                              X