Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Something Click for Volstad in September?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did Something Click for Volstad in September?

You guys keep talking about Volstad's last three starts but it goes a little further than that. But, rather than have everyone gang up on me and call me stupid, I'll quote Edwin, Randy St. Claire and a beat writer. They probably know more than us.

Volstad is 3-0 with a 4.75 ERA in five starts this month. More importantly, he's 7-1 with a 4.44 ERA in 12 starts since a brief July demotion to Class AAA New Orleans.

"Something clicked in him,' manager Edwin Rodriguez. "It could be his release point. It could be confidence in his pitches, because pretty much he has the same stuff that he had earlier in the year. Something is working for him now and he feels very confident and attacking hitters.

"When something happens to a pitcher, when something in his mechanics clicks, it will stay forever, and I would like to believe that that's what's happening to Chris Volstad.'

"Although there have been ups and down, inconsistency, he has been making strides in a positive way since he came up from the minor leagues,' Rodriguez said.

"I have to say it has been a very positive season for him, not only his record, but we can see him getting better and better.'

"I think he has found the issues of his delivery. He understands them, what he needs to do to correct them,' pitching coach Randy St. Claire said. "Now it's just getting consistency out of that.'
    Chris Volstad adds to scoreless inning streak as Florida Marlins shut out Milwaukee Brewers

Hahahahaha.

Yes!

Comment

I hate you all.

Comment

He had 4.44 ERA and something clicked?

Comment

That's all I'm going to say. If you have a problem, take it up with Edwin and Randy. They're the ones who said it.

Comment

What else did you expect them to say. Unless your manager is Ozzie Guillen or something it isn't like they are going to criticize him in the media.

Comment

If a 4.46 ERA/1.40 WHIP (with a 4.61 xFIP and 16 K's in 36 innings) is "clicking" and "good," then yup, it clicked and he's good.

And if that's good, then the bar is waaaaaayyy too low

Comment

"When something happens to a pitcher, when something in his mechanics clicks, it will stay forever, and I would like to believe that that's what's happening to Chris Volstad.'
                That's the single dumbest comment I've ever heard on pitching.
                --------------------
                That's akin to saying, hey kids, if you drink your milk, take your vitamins, and say your prayers, all your dreams will come true!
                Last edited by Metes; 10-04-2010, 03:35 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

And in no way is this attacking Volstad for him being him. This is more of an attack on the title of this thread and the quotes by the coaching staff.

We can all agree that his last 3 starts of the season were very encouraging, but this will mean nothing if he can't carry it into 2011.

Comment

I came up with the thread title...

Comment

Well then you have been attacked!
                      --------------------
                      I mean, a 4.44era is absolute shite. If that is clicking, we have serious issues.

Whysoserious you ask? Because 4.44 is shite.
                      Last edited by Ramp; 10-04-2010, 03:43 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Originally posted by wanks1212 View Post
                        If a 4.46 ERA/1.40 WHIP (with a 4.61 xFIP and 16 K's in 36 innings) is "clicking" and "good," then yup, it clicked and he's good.

And if that's good, then the bar is waaaaaayyy too low
                        He wasn't talking about something clicking right when he got back to the majors. He was talking about the end of the season (starting with the Cardinals start).
                        --------------------
                        "Although there have been ups and down, inconsistency, he has been making strides in a positive way since he came up from the minor leagues,' Rodriguez said.
                        This quote goes back to his starts since his return.
                        Last edited by THE_REAL_MIBS; 10-04-2010, 03:56 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Dear Ramp,

My thread title was not meant to be taken seriously. I saw where Mibs was going and acted appropriately. I do not endorse any clicking by Volstad.

Sincerely yours,
                          Festa

Comment

Originally posted by mbaamin08 View Post
                            He wasn't talking about something clicking right when he got back to the majors. He was talking about the end of the season (starting with the Cardinals start).
                            --------------------

This quote goes back to his starts since his return.
                            The 4.46 ERA/1.40 WHIP/4.61 xFIP/K/9 I cited? Yeah, those were his September/October numbers, when he supposedly clicked and was good and stuff.

But he really wasn't good, at least if you want to look at ERA/WHIP/xFIP/Kper9 and other, well, numbers that actually measure pitching performance.

Comment

Originally posted by Ramp View Post
                              Well then you have been attacked!
                              --------------------
                              I mean, a 4.44era is absolute shite. If that is clicking, we have serious issues.

Whysoserious you ask? Because 4.44 is shite.
                              4.44 ain't shite. If that's your 5th starter, then you're doing pretty well.

(In no way supporting this thread. Just being rational.)
                              Christian Yelich
                              LF, Greensboro Grasshoppers
                              12/5/1991 - 19 years old

.299/.375/.461/.836
                              100-334, 24 2B, 0 3B, 10 HR, 38 BB, 74 SO, 26 SB (4 CS)

------------------------------------

Last 10 Games:
                              .394/.512/.697/1.155

Last Update: 7/27/2011

Comment

Working...
                              X