Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Assuming the salary doesn't decrease, that seems more than fair, yes?

Comment

From months, the Marlins have made it clear they are hopeful of signing Dan Uggla to a multi-year contract.

President of baseball operations Larry Beinfest repeated the team's stance on Wednesday when he confirmed there has been continued dialogue with Uggla's agent, Terry Bross of Gaylord Sports Management.

Beinfestbriefly addressed the team's stance on Uggla during a conference call introducing Edwin Rodriguez back as Florida's manager.

According to multiple sources, talks with Uggla have been progressing. Exact details are still stetchy, but there has been movement to bridge the initial gap.

The Marlins'initial offer over the summer was three-years, $24 million. Uggla's camp countered with five years at more than $50 million.

There are indications that the Marlins have agreed to add a fourth year. Based on performance, Uggla has positioned himself to be worth about $11 million a season. So there is a likelihood that the sides could be discussing a four-year deal worth roughly $44 million.

Uggla earned $7.8 million in 2010.

The 30-year-old power-hitting second baseman has one more season left in arbitration before he'd qualify for free agency. The Marlins are trying to avoid that by locking up one of their top players.

After hitting33 homers and driving in105 runs,Uggla is lined up for a substantial raise.

Uggla is posting historic numbers at his position. He is the only second baseman in MLB history to hit at least 30 home runs in four seasons. He has done so in four consecutive years, which also is a team record.

With 154 career homers, Uggla is the Marlins' all-time leader in that category.

Uggla and Hanley Ramirez combine to form one of the most productive middle infields in the game. The organization is hoping to keep them together for several more years.
      More movement in Uggla talks

Comment

The more I think about it, the more I don't like signing Uggla to a multi-year contract.

I mean yeah, we really do need him next year. But 2014 when he's 34 years old at 10mish? That scares me.

Comment

Oh please, he'll cycle his HGH and stay effective.
          This post was brought to you by: Dat SEC Speed

Comment

This will get done. All posturing as was mentioned. Marlins are smart to start low.

Comment

Originally posted by nny View Post
              The more I think about it, the more I don't like signing Uggla to a multi-year contract.

I mean yeah, we really do need him next year. But 2014 when he's 34 years old at 10mish? That scares me.
              Eh, $10M in 2014 is probably going to be the equivalent of $7-8M today in terms of payroll. If he's getting ~$10M in 2014 I see that as a win for the Marlins.

Comment

Originally posted by nny View Post

That's why they should "stadium load" the crap out of it

2011 9
                2012 15
                2013 10
                2014 8
                total - 42

Done deal. We have the revenue, and the club controlled players, to easily accomplish this.

Mike Stanton and Logan Morrison hit arbitration in 2014. They can do this.

Comment

100% in agreement with lou.

quasi-front load it so you can deal/release/waive him in 2014 if push comes to shove. Uggla's next three years are worth the risk of seeing what he'll be in 2014.

Comment

According to MLBTR / Rosenthal:

Marlins second baseman Dan Uggla rejected a four-year, $48MM extension offer. Uggla is one season away from free agency, and may prefer to hold off. SI's Jon Heyman wrote on Thursday that the offer was to pay $8MM in 2011 and that Uggla sought five years. Assuming Uggla is in line for $10MM or so in arbitration, he must feel he can top what equates to a three-year, $38MM free agent offer.

Sayanora Ugz.

Comment

If we offered 4-48 and he turned it down, then yeah. Keep him for this year and then so long.

Leave the offer on the table until opening day. If he doesn't accept say "Oh well" and give that money to Stanton on a Longoria contract.
                      Last edited by Bobbob1313; 11-07-2010, 10:14 PM.
                      poop

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
                        If we offered 4-48 and he turned it down, then yeah. Keep him for this year and then so long.
                        I rather trade him now, while his stock is high. Use that money on pitching and either promote Ozzie and place him at second, or sign a F.A 2nd basemen (Lopez, Hudson, Belliard, etc.). If i'm the Marlins F.O there's no way in hell Uggla gets 5 yrs.

Comment

I say deal him at the deadline unless you're just blown away this winter.
                          --------------------
                          Butttttt, that report may very well be a whole lot of hogwash
                          Last edited by Metes; 11-07-2010, 10:35 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

We should take it as seriously as we take every other report that makes the Marlins look bad.

We should assume it is 100% accurate and not wait for any independent corroboration and jump to conclusions.
                            poop

Comment

I kind of have to wonder how much Cody has altered Uggla's mindset.

I mean, I'm really happy that Cody won, but he's been a total doucher at every opportunity, and he hasn't hidden the fact that he tells Uggla how bad the Marlins treated him (Cody).

Like the JJ contract though, I think we'll eventually get something done. Uggla's taking a huge risk turning 4/48 down. All the big money teams are set at 2B, and he's not getting a 5 year deal on the open market even if the Yankees or Red Sox want him.

Comment

no way he gets a 4 year FA contract after this year either. he'll be what, 35 when that contract ends?
                                Originally posted by Madman81
                                Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                                Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Working...
                                X