Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2011 Managerial Search Discussion: But Does He Know the Game??!?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lineup Analysis

Comment

did the research change since baseball between the numbers came out? it said descending obp in there. i don't have my copy with me and it's been a while since i read it...
      Originally posted by Madman81
      Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
      Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

I am guessing their descending OBP approach was a recommended "rule of thumb." Basic math says that it's not a universally optimal strategy.

Comment

Bo knows:

Porter emerges as frontrunner
          The Marlins may be weighing all their options, but the candidate that appears to have the most momentum to manage the club in 2011 is familiar to Florida fans.

Indications are Bo Porter has emerged as the frontrunner.

Porter, a former big league outfielder, was the Marlins' third base/outfield coach from 2007-09, before he joined the Arizona staff in 2010.

Numerous sources confirmed the Marlins have serious interest in Porter, who is regarded as a strong teacher of fundamentals. Known for being well prepared, the 38-year-old already has been making inquiries about candidates for his coaching staff.

Earlier this month, Porter interviewed for the Pirates managerial position.

The Marlins' search is entering another week after Bobby Valentine, who was offered the job, opted to withdraw from consideration.

Edwin Rodriguez, who went 46-46 after replacing Fredi Gonzalez on June 23, remains in the mix. But the club hasn't spoken with Rodriguez since the season ended.

Porter previously interviewed for the Marlins job after Gonzalez was dismissed in June. Porter impressed the club then, and he remained under consideration even after the team decided to stay with Rodriguez.

Other candidates being mentioned are Tony Pena, Ted Simmons and Jim Fregosi. It remains unclear how much serious interest the team has in them.

The Marlins finished 80-82 in 2010, and the organization is placing an emphasis to improving fundamentally.

Florida has a young outfield that features rookies Logan Morrison and Mike Stanton. Cameron Maybin isn't a rookie, but he is 23-years-old.

Porter would be looked at to help the developments of these young players.

In recent years, Porter worked with former Marlin, Cody Ross, who now has become a playoff hero for the Giants. In 2008 and 2009, Porter frequently stated that Ross was deserving of a Gold Glove.

-- Joe Frisaro
          LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

Cool. Just bring Perry Hill back too.
            "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
            - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

I don't get how this fits with what we supposedly want. Loria wants an experienced, "name" guy for a manager. Bo Porter is neither. This would be his first time as a major league manager and no one outside of us and the D-backs fans have ever heard of him. And all we really know about him is that he sucked as a third base coach. May as well just keep Edwin.
              Last edited by THE_REAL_MIBS; 10-18-2010, 01:50 PM.

Comment

what mibs said
                Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.

Comment

Or maybe the media is wrong about loria wanting a "name"

Comment

either way, what's the advantage he has over edwin?

Comment

He can play in a cover 2 system

Comment

Comment

He's black. He's young. He's hip.
                          "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
                          - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

He'll bring that Mike Tomlin swagga

Comment

** A lot of buzz about former Marlins coach Bo Porter becoming the next manager. Porter is a candidate and has fans in the organization, but sources that have spoken to the club say characterizing him as anything more than that right now is inaccurate.
                              Florida Marlins: Cody Ross NOT a money dump; Bo Porter NOT the front runner

To recap, we have Frisaro saying that Porter is the favorite, JCR says he's not, Capozzi mentioned to keep an eye on him and the Herald says that the manager search is going to take a while.

Comment

I wish I had something to fuel the fire but I have nothing to report.
                                LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

Working...
                                X