Marlins Interested in Tony Pena

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rumor: Marlins Interested in Tony Pena

Having previous big league managing experience will be a plus for those under consideration to manage the Marlins in 2011.

Meeting the criteria is Tony Pena.

Currently the Yankees bench coach, Pena spent parts of four seasons (2002-05) managing the Royals. In 2003, he was named the American League Manager of the Year.

Internally, the Marlins see Pena as a serious candidate.

The Marlins will address their manager situation after the season. So right now they are evaluating their options.

Edwin Rodriguez, who replaced Fredi Gonzalez in late June, also will receive consideration. But the team has made it clear that it will further evaluate Rodriguez once the season ends.

Most likely, the team will explore several possibilities, including Bobby Valentine. With Pena expected to be in the mix, the search could last throughout the playoffs.

The Yankees are primed to be in the postseason. So if the Marlins plan on interviewing Pena, they may have to wait until an opportune time arises in October or perhaps early November.

Pena, 53, was a five-time All-Star, and he won four Gold Glove awards.

One of the primary positions the Marlins plan to address in the offseason is catcher.

-- Joe Frisaro
    http://joefrisaro.mlblogs.com/archiv...candidate.html

no plz
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

FWIW, he's supposedly the candidate we were denied an opportunity to interview in-season, which ultimately led to us letting Edwin have the team for the rest of the season.

Worth watching.

Comment

Originally posted by markotsay7 View Post
        no plz
        Why?
        poop

Comment

Just stay with Edwin

Comment

I likes Tony.
            "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
            - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

Wes Helms player manager

Comment

I kind of want Bobby V. It seems if Bobby is hired he will demand us to go after some above average players and spend money.

Comment

I don't think it works that way

Comment

Well he will actually push Loria to make some moves, or atleast attempt to. I like the idea that he wants to come down only if we spend.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
                      Why?
                      unless you're going out to get a big name type guy, ie a bobby v or a dusty baker or don baylor, i don't see the point in changing from edwin. to me pena is just edwin with a different name.
                      Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.

Comment

But what is the negative in moving from Edwin to Pena?
                        poop

Comment

I don't know about Peña, he had two seasons with 100+ losses, and one season that he was over .500. I know the Royals don't have much to work with but I prefer Bobby V. I know Larry Bowa is available as well, anyone interested in him? It would be nice to have Bobby V as manager and Bowa as bench coach.

Comment

I like Edwin and don't like Pena. I think at worst they are the same and at best Edwin is better, so why change?

Comment

Originally posted by Big Z View Post
                              Well he will actually push Loria to make some moves, or atleast attempt to. I like the idea that he wants to come down only if we spend.
                              And he will be quickly fired.
                              --------------------
                              At this point just keep Edwin.
                              Last edited by Party; 09-15-2010, 03:03 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Working...
                              X