• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brawl Suspensions

Morgan- 8 games
    Volstad- 6 games
    Sanabia- 5 games
    Sanchez - 3 games

Like I said, Volstad may not be a problem since he could start Wednesday (Ricky's) spot. Sanabia is since he was supposed to start Sunday.
    --------------------
    Thinking more on this, Sanabia could start in Volstad's spot on Tuesday with Volstad going on Wednesday but we now need starters for both Sunday and game 2 of the doubleheader.
    Last edited by THE_REAL_MIBS; 09-03-2010, 12:36 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Damn I wanted to cheer on Sanabs on Sunday for kicking the Nats ass, as well as gaby. Guess this simmers down our chances of winning this series.

*According to the Washington Post Morgans suspension will actually be these 8 games plus the 7 he's appealing for throwing a ball and hitting a fan in the face; basically hrs about to get suspended for 15 games.
    Last edited by Big Z; 09-03-2010, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Elih Villanueva and Tom Koehler plus they can stay in the rotation the rest of the year.

Mastny had a terrible august otherwise I would say him
      Last edited by Jay; 09-03-2010, 12:54 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

The only issue is that Villanueva and Koehler start the playoffs next week

Comment

Nine members of Marlins, Nationals suspended or fined for brawl

BY CLARK SPENCER
          cspencer@MiamiHerald.com

Almost from the instant Nyjer Morgan charged the mound and Florida Marlins pitcher Chris Volstad readied himself for bare-knuckled combat by throwing down his glove, it became a given that punishment would result.

Did it ever.

On Friday, two days after a bench-clearing episode between the Marlins and Nationals, suspensions and fines were meted out by Major League Baseball to nine members of both teams, including both managers and a coach.

The league announced a six-game suspension for Volstad, a five-game suspension for pitcher Alex Sanabia, a three-game suspension for first baseman Gaby Sanchez, and a one-game suspension for manager Edwin Rodriguez. Marlins reliever Jose Veras was fined.

According to a release put out by the league, ``the suspensions of all players are scheduled to begin [Friday night], unless appealed, with the exception of Sanabia, whose suspension is scheduled to begin Wednesday, pending appeal, in order to avoid overlapping with Volstad's scheduled suspension.''

Morgan, already appealing another suspension for a previous transgression, received an eight-game suspension. Other members of the Nationals receiving suspensions were pitcher Doug Slaten (three games), third-base coach Pat Listach (three games) and manager Jim Riggleman (two games).

The suspensions were the first for a Marlin since reliever Burke Badenhop received three games for throwing at Arizona's Orlando Hudson in 2009. Former Marlins catcher Miguel Olivo was hit with a five-game suspension for his actions in a melee with the Mets at the end of the 2007 season.

Suspensions to starting pitchers are usually longer in duration in order to ensure that they miss at least one turn in the rotation.

Due to a doubleheader in Philadelphia on Monday, the Marlins will be playing six games in five days, and Volstad could decide to appeal the ruling in order to delay the suspension and help get the Marlins through that busy stretch. The Marlins are already thin on starters, with Ricky Nolasco lost for the season with a knee injury and Sean West continuing to work his way back from an injury.

Morgan sparked the unrest when he plowed into Brett Hayes on a play at the plate on Tuesday, dislocating the catcher's shoulder. On Wednesday, Volstad plunked Morgan with a payback pitch. Even though the Nationals were trailing 14-3 at the time, Morgan then stole second and third before scoring on a sacrifice fly, thumping his chest after he crossed home plate.

The next time Morgan stepped to the plate, Volstad threw behind his back. Morgan charged the mound and benches cleared. Morgan and Volstad were ejected, as were Rodriguez and Veras. Later in the game, Riggleman and Slaten were ejected after the Washington pitcher drilled Sanchez, who had clothes-lined Morgan during the melee.

The league suspended Sanabia for fighting.

The two teams play in Washington on Sept. 10-12.
          http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/09/0...nationals.html

Comment

Sanabia's suspension won't start 'til Wedensday
            --------------------
            JoeFrisaro: #Marlins Sanabia, the quiet one, took down Dunn during the big ordeal. Gets five-game suspension. ~
            /Twitter

That's a funny visual: little Sanabia taking down huge Adam Dunn.
            --------------------
            Actually, Sanabia's starting Wednesday works better. Volstad will likely start Wednesday and Miller can start for Sanabia.
            Last edited by THE_REAL_MIBS; 09-03-2010, 01:40 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Fines:

Morgan- $15K
              Sanchez- $3K
              Sanabia- $3K
              Edwin- $1.5K
              Veras- $1K

Haven't seen anything about Volstad's.
              --------------------
              Gaby, Volstad and Sanabia all appealed the suspensions.
              --------------------
              Volstad's fine was $4K.
              Last edited by THE_REAL_MIBS; 09-03-2010, 04:58 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

I think it's ridiculous that Morgan is appealing. I also think if you are dumb enough to appeal something so blatant, they should be able to increase your suspension.

Comment

Listach should have gotten more. Unacceptable behavior from a coach, as much as I would like to see a Marlins coach mixing it up with anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Madman81 View Post
                    Listach should have gotten more. Unacceptable behavior from a coach, as much as I would like to see a Marlins coach mixing it up with anyone.
                    100% in agreement.

Comment

I can't believe Morgan is even allowed to appeal this. MLB said that this suspension comes from a series of incidents, not just Wednesday's game. He's also already been served a suspension and this whole thing occured while that appeal was pending. It should be like revoking his parole.
                      --------------------
                      More on Sanabia...

Perhaps the most surprising punishment came against Sanabia, who didn't appear to be a protagonist in the melee. Sanabia said Adam Dunn, who outweighs him by at least 70 pounds, yanked him off the pile. In the process Sanabia fell back onto Dunn. He didn't admit to doing anything that would constitute fighting.

"I was just hanging out," Sanabia said. "He kind of threw me like a rag doll. He just grabbed me and tossed me back a little bit."
                      Four Marlins disciplined for brawl; Nats' Morgan suspended 8 games
                      Last edited by THE_REAL_MIBS; 09-03-2010, 06:46 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

LMAO Sanabia was kicking ass, he was one of the first in the pile, he's a badass.

Comment

"What did I do? I feel I haven’t done anything. They are blowing this way out of proportion because I’m a hard-nosed player -- because I knocked over a catcher. They throw the ball at me. Come on, what am I supposed to do?"
                          -Nyjer Morgan

http://www.sbnation.com/2010/9/3/166...pension-quotes

Comment

He's dumb.

Comment

still don't have a problem with the play at home or the stolen bases
                              Originally posted by Madman81
                              Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                              Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Working...
                              X