Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BBTN "Expert" Chris Singleton Says No Dice to Marlins in Postseason... or Does He?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BBTN "Expert" Chris Singleton Says No Dice to Marlins in Postseason... or Does He?

It was 1997 when the Florida Marlins won their first World Series title, in just their fifth year of existence. Six years and a new 25-man roster later, the Marlins returned to the World Series and won another championship. Now it's been another six years since their last title. Once again, they have turned over their roster, and are five games behind the Philadelphia Phillies in the National League East and four games out in the NL wild card. So it's not unreasonable to ask … is history bound to repeat itself?

The Marlins got off to a hot start in April, but fell under .500 before May came to an end. Now, they've been able to make up some ground and see themselves back in the NL East and NL wild-card races. One of the big keys to this team's success is the pitching of its young ace, Josh Johnson. Johnson is one of the best pitchers in the National League at 10-2 (he pitched seven solid innings before getting in trouble in the eighth against the Nationals on Tuesday), but he's incredibly underrated because he plays for the Marlins. You could plug him in just about any rotation and he would be a No. 1 or No. 2 starter. He's a huge contributor every fifth day because of his ability to go deep into games and preserve a mediocre bullpen, though it was the bullpen that helped do him and the Marlins in Tuesday. Ricky Nolasco has also pitched well in this rotation after being sent to the minors in June. Nolasco and Johnson are a scary 1-2 punch. Add in Chris Volstad, who has been a good No. 3, and the rotation is among the league's best.

Pitching has them in the race, but it's not like they aren't getting any help from the offense. Hanley Ramirez is not just the best hitter on the team; he's one of the top five in the game. When you have a player of that caliber in your lineup, it makes the guys around him better.

Cody Ross has piled up hits in clutch situations because pitchers would rather go after him than Ramirez. Dan Uggla has now started to provide a hot bat, and the trade for Nick Johnson cements the middle of that lineup. Johnson also brings his great defensive skills to the table, which should help a team that's committed 67 errors this season.

This team is not only winning on the field, but they are becoming a more cohesive unit off it. During their struggles this year, Ramirez complained about the team not protecting him when opposing pitchers threw at him. Last week in Los Angeles, Ramirez was hit by Dodgers pitcher Jeff Weaver. Marlins' reliever Burke Badenhop took the initiative to protect the team's best hitter by throwing at one of the Dodgers' best in Orlando Hudson. As good a hitter as Ramirez is, he walks to the plate with a target on his back. He needs to know that if something goes wrong, his teammates are prepared to fight back for him at all costs. This team has figured out that having each other's back contributes to a winning mentality.

As good as this team is, and with all the potential it has, I don't see the Marlins making the postseason this time around. They'll probably hang on the periphery, but they won't be a serious threat, not with the defending champion Phillies in their division. Same thing with the wild card -- hang around, but not get the spot.

If there was a perfect time for them to make up some ground in both races, it would be this week. On Tuesday, they coughed up their first chance, giving up six runs in the eighth inning to waste a 4-0 lead. You can't lose games like that and hope to contend for a playoff spot.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/notebook?page=bbtn

So in an article that's supposed to be why the Marlins won't make the playoffs, he instead gives plenty of reasons why they could/should/would make the postseason. A brilliant mind that Chris Singleton.

This is why I haven't watched BBTN this year.

Comment

Maybe the editor titled it wrong?

Comment

The only people on ESPN worth listening to when it comes to baseball are Gammons, Kurkchin, Olney, and Phillips. They definately have some duds that appear on that show, chief among them is the former-marlin-dude, can't remember his name now but god is he dumb. Singleton is horrible as well, Winfield is too big to fit my tv screen and stays silent most of the time anyways, Orel Hershiser (spelling?) is decent but unneccessary. I like Kruk because he provides some helpful insight at times but sometimes he gets a little too carried away with his criticism.
        STANTON

Serious fun! GET IT IN!

Comment

Originally posted by BigGameFish View Post
          The only people on ESPN worth listening to when it comes to baseball are Gammons, Kurkchin, Olney, and Phillips. They definately have some duds that appear on that show, chief among them is the former-marlin-dude, can't remember his name now but god is he dumb. Singleton is horrible as well, Winfield is too big to fit my tv screen and stays silent most of the time anyways, Orel Hershiser (spelling?) is decent but unneccessary. I like Kruk because he provides some helpful insight at times but sometimes he gets a little too carried away with his criticism.

anyway, I tend to agree with Singleton that the Marlins will probably hang in the race for most of the season but fall short...but, of course, not for the "reasons" given by Singleton

Comment

Ehe, they good at pitching, they got Hanley and he makes the offense better and Nick Johnson gon improve the defense. I don't see them making the playoffs because they wont catch the Phillies. Also, they won't win the WC. Why? Thanks for reading!

Comment

Lol
              I can't stand Kruk with his beloved Phillies.
              No one can ever come close to the Phillies in his eyes.
              Not just now that they're an incredible team, but in the past when they weren't.

And I believe you speak of Orestes Destrade the former Marlin.
              I know Al Leiter hasn't said some nice things about the team either on MLB tonight.
              "The Marlins are going to lose because they don't have two magical unicorns having sex in the bathroom"
              -Dan LeBatard

Comment

Originally posted by wanks1212 View Post

anyway, I tend to agree with Singleton that the Marlins will probably hang in the race for most of the season but fall short...but, of course, not for the "reasons" given by Singleton
                I can understand hating on Kruk because he does get annoying at times (or most of the time) but you cant argue with Phillip's knowledge of the game and players. My only problem with him is that he is a Marlins hater but ESPN doesnt give us the time of day anyways so its not like that ever comes into play much. I also forgot to mention that Joe Morgan is also another moron who thinks he cant comment on the game. Probably one of the dumbest things ive ever heard a baseball analyst say was while i was watching a Sunday Night Baseball game this year and they were showing the strike-out leaders in the NL, Javier Vasquez was 2nd at the time I believe and Morgan says...

"All the guys on the list are guys you'd expect to see but there is one big surprise, Javier Vasquez. He has never been a guy known for strikeouts in his career but he IS pitching in the NL now, thats probably why."

STANTON

Serious fun! GET IT IN!

Comment

Well in the NL you do get to throw to the pitchers

*cant believe i am backing up joe morgan even a little bit*

Comment

Yeah, but it'd prob more so be the comment about never being a strikeout guy or whatevs. Since 2000 he has been a top 10 strikeout guy in the majors every year except for a couple. Once he was still top 15 and there was a third where he was 11th.

Comment

i stop reading after he said the marlins have a "mediocre bullpen"
                      Originally posted by Matt Wilson
                      Fish and Chips just became the smartest man on the board
                      Tom Koehler(4-0)
                      AAA: 7 GS, 40.2 IP, 2.66 ERA, 34 H, 12 ER, 17 BB, 31 SO, GO/AO 0.87, BAA .233 , 1.25 WHIP

Comment

Though the reason for writing the article and his point of view are disppointing....the fact that someone at ESPN took the time to even write about the Marlins is pleasing.....it rarely ever happens, well besides the monthly article by Peter Gammons about the new reasons why he still wants to be the mother of Michael Stantons children....

Comment

Seriously, I don't understand why the Marlins and even the Heat are so looked down on by ESPN.
                          I know it's a "small market" but come on.
                          D-Wade is highly underrated.
                          As is JJ and even Hanley to an extent.
                          And that's because Hanley and Wade have put up numbers that just simply cannot be ignored so they get a little love.
                          But it's incredible the stuff that these so called analyst say about the Marlins.
                          "The Marlins are going to lose because they don't have two magical unicorns having sex in the bathroom"
                          -Dan LeBatard

Comment

Cody Ross has piled up hits in clutch situations because pitchers would rather go after him than Ramirez.
                            Heh. Not like he's talented or anything.
                            --------------------
                            This team has figured out that having each other's back contributes to a winning mentality.
                            This is why TnB failed.
                            Last edited by Metes; 08-05-2009, 12:40 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Originally posted by Fish and Chips View Post
                              i stop reading after he said the marlins have a "mediocre bullpen"
                              Our bullpen has gotten mediocre results as a whole up to this point.

Comment

Working...
                              X