No announcement yet.

2011 Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This seems a bit different than the Ricky Nolasco FA thing, though. In reading the articles about Miller that I posted in his thread, it sounds like the writers posed the question to Miller; "You're out of options next year, does that make you worried about your future with the Marlins?" Miller's answers kind of lead one to think that was how the question was posed to him.

It also would make sense as to why the FO called Miller up to begin with. He wasn't exactly dominating in AA. It would make more sense that the FO called him up to evaluate him and figure out what they want to do with him next year when he's out of options.

Comment

This is not the most reliable source, but here's a piece from wikipedia regarding options:

If a player is on the 40-man roster but not on the active major league roster, he is said to be on optional assignment—his organization may freely move him between the major league club and the minor league club. If a player is on the 40-man roster and not the active 25 man roster for any part of more than three seasons (in which he spent 20 or more total days of service in the minors), he is out of options and may not be assigned to the minors without first clearing waivers. However, if a player has less than 5 years of professional experience, he may be optioned to the minors in a fourth season without being subject to waivers.

Comment

A highly doubt a player has any clue about his option situation.

Comment

Every one knows this already

Comment

I think the main thing to look at would be this "5 years of professional service". Does that have to be 5 full years like is required to be eligible for Super 2 status or do they count each year individually? If it's each individual year, 2010 would be his 5th year as a professional (1- '06, 2- '07, 3- '08, 4- '09, 5-, '10). If he's at 5 years of service, he would not qualify for the 4th option year and his options would have been used in the '07, '09 and '10.
            Last edited by THE_REAL_MIBS; 09-25-2010, 10:18 AM.

Comment

I'm not sure 2006 counts, that season he jumped from college straight to the majors(fucking tigers) and he only had 10 innings pitched at the professional level.

Comment

It has to count somehow. He did pitch that year. His minor league stats also count as "professional service" so they have to be counted as well.

Comment

I'm aware of that, however he only pitched 10 innings of professional baseball in 2006, which I do not believes qualifies him for a "year of service". I believe he still has one more year of options.

Comment

Originally posted by mbaamin08 View Post
                    I think the main thing to look at would be this "5 years of professional service". Does that have to be 5 full years like is required to be eligible for Super 2 status or do they count each year individually? If it's each individual year, 2010 would be his 5th year as a professional (1- '06, 2- '07, 3- '08, 4- '09, 5-, '10). If he's at 5 years of service, he would not qualify for the 4th option year and his options would have been used in the '07, '09 and '10.
                    http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/200...-glossary.html everything you'll think of

6 does not count because 90 days is required for a year to count as a full year. So he only has four (07-10). And like Ramp said, I doubt a player knows his option status. And they said themselves in the articles about how they never talked to anyone in the front office.

A full season is defined as being on an active pro roster for at least 90 days in a season. (If a player is put on the disabled list after earning 60 or more days of service in a single season, his time on the DL is counted.) The 90-day requirement means short-season leagues (New-York Penn, Northwest, Pioneer, Appalachian, Gulf Coast, Arizona Rookie, Dominican and Venezuelan Summer Leagues) do not count as full seasons for the purposes of determining eligibility for a fourth option.

Comment

hmm I thinks ims gon go with nny on this. When it comes to arby and options and some other shit nny and Lou are money.
                      "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
                      - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

Sorry Nny, I didn't mean to post it saying "ha, you're wrong" I was just showing what I read. I believe you, if you are that confident that Andrew has an option left then I'm gonna go with what you say instead of those beat writers because more often than not, they're wrong.
                        LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

Found a 100% confirmation that Miller is out of options next year.

Just went over the roster with General Manager Michael Hill. In addition to Maybin and Carroll, others that are out of options include: Andrew Miller, Wes Helms, Clay Hensley, Brian Sanches and Leo Nunez
                          Ask Juan!

Also, I didn't realize that Maybin was out of options next year.
                          Last edited by THE_REAL_MIBS; 09-26-2010, 05:48 PM.

Comment

Well damn. Tank isn't out of options. Guess he was wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by flamarlin21 View Post
                              Well damn. Tank isn't out of options. Guess he was wrong.
                              Not necessarily. There are others who are DEFINITELY out of options that aren't on that list that are currently on the 40 man roster (Like Jose Veras). Look at his wording:

"In addition to Maybin and Carroll, others that are out of options include:"

The way he worded, it is open ended if what he listed was the complete list. "Others include", not "The rest are" or whatever.

Or it could be that Veras/others are DFA fodder, so he didn't see a reason to mention them.

But good to actually hear something from somebody in the FO about Andrew. I guess Detroit really did fuck up and use an option in '06 lol.

Comment

I got ya. I thought that list he gave was short,, as in I thought more players were out of options. I guess we'll find out in Spring Training lol

Comment

Working...
                                X