2011 Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2011 Options

So with September here that means no one is going to be burning an option anymore. Going to do something different from years past, where I'd say "# of options left", instead I'm going to switch to "# of options used". This is because players are sometimes eligible for four options (See: Brett Carroll last season due to injury, RVH due to service time) so counting down from 3 isn't all too smart. If a player has 3 options used, I'll put in parenthesis if he's possibly eligible for a 4th option exception, or if he's likely out of options (OOO).

Cliff notes, OOO:
    Leo Nunez
    Brian Sanches
    Jose Veras
    Ronny Paulino
    Hector Luna
    Donnie Murphy
    Brett Carroll
    Cameron Maybin

Potentials:
    Taylor Tankersley
    Ryan Tucker

Just running down the 40 man:

Burke Badenhop: 1-2 options used (Hard to tell in 2009)
    Jay Buente: 1 option used
    Jose Ceda: 1 option used
    Clay Hensley: ?
    Josh Johnson: 0 options used
    Chris Leroux: 2 options used
    Jhan Marinez: 0 options used
    Andrew Miller: 3 options used (Should be eligible for fourth option because of service time, likely NOT out of options)
    Ricky Nolasco: 1 option used
    Leo Nunez: 3 options used (OOO)
    Omar Poveda: 1 option used
    Alex Sanabia: 0 options used
    Brian Sanches: 3 options used (OOO)
    Anibal Sanchez: 2 options used
    Brett Sinkbeil: 1 option used
    Taylor Tankersley: 3 options used (Possible injury exception: Missed all of 2009)
    Ryan Tucker: 3 options used (Possible injury exception: Missed almost all of 2009)
    Jose Veras: 3 options used (OOO)
    Chris Volstad: 0 options used
    Sean West: 2 options used
    Tim Wood: 2 options used

John Baker: 1 option used
    Brad Davis: 0 options used
    Brett Hayes: 2 options used
    Ronny Paulino: 3 options used (OOO)

Hector Luna: 3 options used (OOO)
    Logan Morrison: 0 options used
    Donnie Murphy: 3 options used (OOO)
    Hanley Ramirez: 1 option used
    Gaby Sanchez: 1 option used
    Dan Uggla: 0 options used

Emilio Bonifacio: 2 options used
    Brett Carroll: 4 options used (OOO)
    Chris Coghlan: 0 options used
    Scott Cousins: 1 option used
    Cameron Maybin: 3 options used (Likely OOO, no service time/injury constraints)
    Bryan Petersen: 1 option used
    Mike Stanton: 0 options used
    Last edited by nny; 09-15-2010, 03:20 AM.

Tank is out of options and was suppose to be this year but the Marlins got a fourth option back (for this year). And I think Andrew is out of options, I may be wrong though
    LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

Andrew had an option used in '07, '09, and '10

However, he's at 4 years of service time. If you're under 5 years, you get four options.

Tank I'll look back up in a second

Comment

Originally posted by nny View Post
        Andrew had an option used in '07, '09, and '10

However, he's at 4 years of service time. If you're under 5 years, you get four options.

Tank I'll look back up in a second
        Tank is legit, he talked to me about it when I was in DC. Long story but the Marlins got an option back from him.

Comment

Tank

'06: Contract purchased, never optioned http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/team/...r=2006&month=6

'07: Optioned June 29th http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/team/...r=2007&month=6

Recalled July 13th http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/team/...r=2007&month=7

Does not meet the 20 day requirement, only time he was optioned in '07, so no option used.

'08: Optioned June 3rd, not called up until late july. Option used. http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/team/...r=2008&month=6

'09: Optioned after ST, never called up. Option used
          http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/team/...r=2009&month=3

'10: Optioned after ST, not called up until late May. Option used.

I'm not calling you a liar (but don't lie to me, <3 Florence and the Machine), but I don't see how he used 3 options before this year. He was optioned in 2007 yes, but it should not count as an option year because he was not optioned for more than 20 days. He was down June 30th-July 15th = 16 days at most (He pitched in the Majors June 29th and July 16th, so that's not a problem on the transactions log)

"# If a player’s optional assignment(s) to the minors total less than 20 days in one season, an option is not used."

(Note: I'm not saying you're wrong/I'm right, nor you're right/I'm wrong. I don't know what's the right answer, all I know is things don't add up)
          Last edited by nny; 08-31-2010, 06:41 PM.

Comment

Tank

'06: Contract purchased, never optioned http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/team/...r=2006&month=6

'07: Optioned June 29th http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/team/...r=2007&month=6

Recalled July 13th http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/team/...r=2007&month=7

Does not meet the 20 day requirement, only time he was optioned in '07, so no option used.

'08: Optioned June 3rd, not called up until late july. Option used. http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/team/...r=2008&month=6

'09: Optioned after ST, never called up. Option used
            http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/team/...r=2009&month=3

'10: Optioned after ST, not called up until late May. Option used.

I'm not calling you a liar (but don't lie to me, <3 Florence and the Machine), but I don't see how he used 3 options before this year. He was optioned in 2007 yes, but it should not count as an option year because he was not optioned for more than 20 days. He was down June 30th-July 15th = 16 days (He pitched in the Majors June 29th and July 16th, so that's not a problem on the transactions log)

"# If a player’s optional assignment(s) to the minors total less than 20 days in one season, an option is not used."
            Well you state the facts. I just know he filed a grievance with the Marlins last year and in the deal they got an option back because, from what he said, he was out of options.

Comment

Oh shit, did he accumulate service time all of '09? Because of his injury?

Like, was that a repeat of the Anibal situation but just not given any media attention?

Comment

Oh shit, did he accumulate service time all of '09? Because of his injury?

Like, was that a repeat of the Anibal situation?
                He did, but not the full amount because it would have made him arbitration eligible and they weren't having that. I think it was like one day short of it. Because, if he would have been arbitration eligible, they were gonna non-tender him.

Comment

Interesting; I really wish the media would actually cover all of these things.

Going to see if I can find some answers on why an option would have been used in '07

Comment

Interesting; I really wish the media would actually cover all of these things.

Going to see if I can find some answers on why an option would have been used in '07
                    Yea i'm not totally sure. And ya, I was surprised about it, however, when I did know he was injured (last year) I always wondered if he was going to do that since he was obviously hurt during camp.
                    Same thing happened with BC I believe.

Comment

BC was on the 60 day DL and given ML salary/service time (Going to 2008, the only time he missed significant time from injury), so I doubt his situation was what Tank/Anibals was.

Rather, teams can file for a 4th option year if that player missed significant time because of injury. We did this for Dallas McPherson back in 2008 as well. Up to MLB if they'll award it or not.

Comment

Right, I meant more so of getting the 4th option, than the other with BC.

Comment

Just an update on the first post, two articles that have been posted today on here about Mr. Thriller say that he is out of options.

Comment

Originally posted by flamarlin21 View Post
                            Just an update on the first post, two articles that have been posted today on here about Mr. Thriller say that he is out of options.
                            Actually, three. All three newspaper beat writers (Joe Capozzi from the Palm Beach Post, Juan Rodriguez from the Sun-Sentinel and Clark Spencer from the Miami Herald).

Comment

And how long did it take them to correct when Ricky is an FA? How many times have they been wrong on other shit?

I mean, I might be wrong, I certainly have zero problem admitting that. But looking at the facts in front of me, what they have to say plays zero part in convincing me otherwise with the track record that they have. They probably look at him being optioned 3 times and say "ok, he's out of options" just like with Ricky when they looked at him being arbitration eligible and said "ok, he's a FA after '11"

Comment

Working...
                              X