Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Marlins Be in Market for a Catcher?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Marlins Be in Market for a Catcher?

Marlins in market for a catcher
    Bullpen won't be the only area the Marlins plan to address in the offseason.

The organization is strongly considering moving in another direction at catcher. Ronny Paulino recently was suspended for 50 games for violating MLB's substance abuse policy.

This year, Paulino made $1.1 million. Through arbitration, he projects to see his salary increase to about $3 million in 2011.

Due to the suspension, he is out for the remainder of the season. The organization is cautious about wanting to pay $3 million to a player coming off a suspension. So they will be exploring other catching options.

If Paulino were to return, it would be at a marked down price.

The other catcher the Marlins expected to have this year faces the strong possibility of arm surgery.

John Baker, projected to get majority of the playing time this season, has been on the disabled list since mid-May. Baker visited a doctor on Monday, and chances are likely that he will be undergoing surgery on his right elbow.

Because of the situations with Paulino and Baker, the Marlins have made finding catching help a high priority. Adding catching help is up there with solidifying the bullpen.

Paulino played in 91 games and he batted .259 with four homers and 37 RBIs.

While he was especially solid in May and June, his numbers dropped significantly as he was playing every day. In June, he batted .287, and followed that up with a .174 batting average in July. In August, he appeared in 12 games, and was hitting .171 in the month when he was suspended.

Rookies Brett Hayes and Brad Davis are currently handling the catching duties.

-- Joe Frisaro
    http://joefrisaro.mlblogs.com/archiv..._a_catche.html
    "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
    - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

My top 3 options at Catcher this off season are-

1)V-Mart-Wants more than a 2 year contract, maybe we can offer a 3/25ish deal. My worries with V-Mart is that he is not in the best shape to be a Catcher and who knows if he can be solid defensively for the next 3 years as we wait for Skip to get ready. V-Mart can still rake though.

2) Torrealba

3) Olivo

Both 2 and 3 have 500K buyouts, according to MLB trade rumors. They are very similar catchers with the exception that Olivo has more pop, while Torrealba hits for a higher average and has a better career OBP. Either one of these will probably cost us under 3M per year and can be a stop gap for Skipworth as well.
    Last edited by Big Z; 09-08-2010, 09:50 AM.

Comment

ehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehhehehehehehe h Olivo.

Comment

There is absolutely no cash to pay V-Mart. Even if they get rid of Uggla and Nunez, not enough cash unless they club control A LOT of extra guys on the team.

Yorvit on the other hand, would make a lot of sense. Can play defense, has a good OBP, and could be a likely sign for 2/$6 or so. We'd be able to limp through the # 2 catcher with Hayes, Davis, Veteran MILB Spring Training signings, and Baker in August. I like that idea a lot, as he is a significant upgrade over Paulino (who would get over $2, maybe $2.5, in arbitration. Annual offseason survival arbitration/option/salary/etc post early October for more exact figures).

That's the way to go. Plus, I think this team can hit already. I think we need someone like Yorvit who is solid defensively and can throw out a runner or two so Volstad doesn't give up 50 SB next year. I'm not saying he is better than V-Mart and I'd prefer Yorvit straight up, but Yorvit at $3 and V-Mart at $14, Yorvit is the better deal for this team.

I'm not singling Volstad out either, as I know there are "insane Volstad issues" on the board sometimes. Miller sucks at holding. Johnson sucks at holding. Nolasco sucks at holding. These guys need at least one of the catchers to be super legit and make runners a little more honest.

Comment

mike nap
          "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
          - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

don't think we need a low average/high hr guy when we've got stanton and potentially uggla. definitely agree with the sentiment that i'd take a small hit on offense to get a real good defender
            Originally posted by Madman81
            Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
            Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

I don't know who the FO is more sour on out of Volstad/West/Miller, but one of those 3 will not be in the 2011 rotation for sure, and possibly two won't. You can easily turn one of them into Pudge + his contract paid. Makes sense for us, gets a C that upgrades what we have and gets fans interested because of the return of the hometown guy and the 3,000 hit chase.

Comment

OBP above .300 in only two of his last six seasons. .567 OPS since May 1 this year. Super Meh.

He can still throw guys out, but that's really all he brings to the table. If it only costs you Miller, I guess I might do it. But I wouldn't do it for West or Volstad, since they still make the minimum and have some semblance of upside. Pudge really isn't a starter at this point.
                poop

Comment

I think if we're not going to spend stadium money before we're in the stadium, a move like this is the best-case scenario for excitement heading into the new park. Pudge isn't ideal, but he can still bring some brand appeal and the 3,000 hit hunt should be marketable.

Even with his issues, I'd prefer him to any in house option. It's an upgrade.

Comment

I'm almost positive Uncle Wes can catch

Comment

I still can't get over the fact that we didn't trade Miller/West for Bell last year.

What's our payroll like next year, low 60's? I know entering this year we were at around 55 and we subtracted Ross and Jorge's contract, which is about $10.4 mil and added Ohman which is about $1.4 mil?.. This leaves us with an extra $9 mil in salary space to get back to $55 mil; if we end up going with $60 mil we have around what, $10 mil to spare this offseason after everyone signs?

Comment

Originally posted by Big Z View Post
                        I still can't get over the fact that we didn't trade Miller/West for Bell last year.

What's our payroll like next year, low 60's? I know entering this year we were at around 55 and we subtracted Ross and Jorge's contract, which is about $10.4 mil and added Ohman which is about $1.4 mil?.. This leaves us with an extra $9 mil in salary space to get back to $55 mil; if we end up going with $60 mil we have around what, $10 mil to spare this offseason after everyone signs?
                        I'm pretty sure the deal was one of Miller or West along with Maybin for Bell; not Miller and West.

Comment

It was for West or Miller according to InsideSoCal.com, here's the article from their website:

Jon Heyman at si.com says the Marlins are in serious talks with the San Diego Padres about a trade for closer Heath Bell.
                          According to Heyman, the Padres are seeking young pitchers Andrew Miller or Sean West in return.
                          Bell is enjoying a sensational year as a first-time closer with San Diego, compiling 25 saves with a 2.01 ERA. That being said, he's one of the few chips the Padres have that will bring back a decent return.

The Marlins are on a roll, winning seven of eight to climb withing two games of the Wild Card lead, and getting Bell will definitely improve their fortunes.

Comment

I think it would have been an awful move at the time, and really that's all that matters.

Comment

Originally posted by Swift View Post
                              I think it would have been an awful move at the time, and really that's all that matters.
                              Yep, hindsight is 20/20

Although, I'm sure most will agree, I wouldn't be surprised if Miller goes somewhere like STL, CHW, SD, ect and finally puts it together. I certainly wonder if he's a "lost cause" not as a player, but on this team; That it was possible we failed him, not the other way around.

Of coarse, it's possible he also just sucks.

Comment

Working...
                              X