Some Thoughts on Our Bullpen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Thoughts on Our Bullpen

A big deal is made out of the bullpen. And leading the majors in blown saves is a good reason for that. But is our bullpen actually bad?

Their 4.10 ERA is exactly the average ERA for NL bullpens - Same goes for their 1.38 WHIP, while their .710 OPS against is just barely better then the NL average of .719. When you look at the results as a whole of hitters v.s. our relievers, you're looking at an average pen.

And nothing cries good luck or bad luck. Their .302 BABIP, 4.04 FIP, 71.6% LOB% are all basically dead average.

And out of the six pitchers who've thrown at least 20 innings (Those six make up for over 71% of our BP innings), Brian Sanches has gotten rather lucky (2.83 ERA but 4.32 FIP/.243 BABIP) but that's canceled out by Leo Nunez (3.38 ERA but 2.56 FIP/.351 BABIP), while everyone else is where they're "suppose" to be.

So what's the problem?

The problem is the team gives up hits at opportunistic times. Maybe this means that our bullpen is "unclutch", if you believe in such a thing. That they fold under pressure when the game is on the line.

Or it means that pitchers are going to give up hits, they're going to give up runs, and when our relief pitchers have given those up, it's been at the worse possible time and that's not a true representation of their skill.

This is not to say our bullpen is not at fault; They are one of the biggest reasons we are not going to make the playoffs this season. Their inconsistency at the end of games has been horrible. I think this is best shown by a couple fangraphs made stats, "Shutdown" and "Meltdown":

"A Shutdown is when a reliever accumulates greater than or equal to 0.06 WPA in any individual game.

A Meltdown is when a reliever’s WPA is less than or equal to -0.06 in any individual game."

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...wns-meltdowns/

And WPA:

"WPA is the difference in win expectancy (WE) between the start of the play and the end of the play. That difference is then credited/debited to the batter and the pitcher. Over the course of the season, each players’ WPA for individual plays is added up to get his season total WPA."

Obviously, win expectancy is theoretical, but really all we can work with is theoretical things for this.

The Marlins bullpen are 8th in the majors in Shutdowns, which is obviously really damn good.

The problem? They are third in Meltdowns (Behinds Brewers and Diamondbacks).

Either they completely close out the game, or they completely fuck it up. There is no in between with them this season.

Again I bring this up not to defend the bullpen's results from this season, there is no defending them. But the question is next year. Out of those six who have pitched at least 20 innings, three are definitely going to be back next year because they will cost the minimum (Sanches, Badenhop, and Wood [Though Wood might have pitched himself to DFA land]), two will probably be back in arbitration (Nunez and Hensley), and I have no idea what they're gonna do with Veras in arbi.

Obviously we are not going to have a good bullpen if we just throw out the same bullpen next year. I don't think we'll have a bad bullpen either though - going into the year, we all thought our bullpen was going to be average. Going by ERA, WHIP, FIP, OPS against, whatever you want, they have been. But their runs against have come when it mattered most. Certainly, maybe it is a psychological thing, maybe they can't perform under pressure. Or you go with the odds which says it's just an incredibly volatile game and when they've given up their hits, it's been at the wrong times.

Great post.

I don't necessarily believe in "unclutchness" but you'd have to think that it's tough to make the playoffs when you're close to the top of Meltdowns. Any contenders near the top?

How many months of meltdowns until their no longer "unlucky" and become "unclutch"?

Comment

Going into this year the bullpen was the thing that disappointed me most because I knew it was bad last year and that they got rid of Kiko Calero, who was the best of the bullpen, so it could only be worse this year. I'm not disagreeing with you at all, it's just that last year we had a big problem with the bullpen, specifically the 9th inning (where Lindstrom failed and Nunez didn't do much better). Take out Brendan Donnelly and Kiko Calero and that's why I was worried about the bullpen before the season started.

For a while this year the bullpen was very bad; Hensley and Nunez were the only ones you could actually rely on to get people out, as well as Brian Sanches maybe. Things got a lot better when Jose Veras returned from the minors; he gave up 8 er in 4.2ip in 4 games before going down, but has only given up 4 er in over 25 ip since returning, two runs of which came off two different home runs. Since June 25, compare that to 12 er in 22.2ip for Nunez, 3er in 13.2 ip for Hensley, 8er in 25.1ip Sanches, etc. What's really been great about Veras (and was brought to my attention by this article by Juan C. Rodriguez) is the number of Inherited Runners he has allowed to score. He has thus far inherited 18 runners and allowed NONE of them to score. The Marlins are 21-9 in games Jose Veras has pitched in and 19-7 since June 25.

Comment

Anyway to break all that down by month? I kinda feel that the pen has just been very streaky. Periods of both extremes could result in the "average-ness" of the stats.

Comment

Originally posted by Mainge View Post
          Anyway to break all that down by month? I kinda feel that the pen has just been very streaky. Periods of both extremes could result in the "average-ness" of the stats.
          http://www.fangraphs.com/winss.aspx?...n=2010&month=0 I checked espn, fangraphs, and B-R and that's the only place I can seem to do a split of both relievers and by month, but it doesn't give team total. I'm too lazy to do the math then but if you're interested in it, that's where to find the IP/ER by month.
          --------------------
          Originally posted by Namaste View Post
          Great post.

I don't necessarily believe in "unclutchness" but you'd have to think that it's tough to make the playoffs when you're close to the top of Meltdowns. Any contenders near the top?

How many months of meltdowns until their no longer "unlucky" and become "unclutch"?
          Only the Reds are in the top-10. The Rockies too if you consider them contenders. Us and those two are the only 3 teams over .500 that are in the top-10, the rest are the bottom feeders of the league.

Meltdowns are a horrible thing, I wasn't saying otherwise. They are the reason we aren't a contending team, really.

For me, it's not really a question about "clutch" v.s. "unclutch" (I brought that up because so many people bring up Nunez having the huevos to close), but rather consistency. Some players are more consistent than others. Plain and simple, our bullpen has been far from consistent, and Nunez is certainly a top of that which is why he has so many BS.

To me, the question is when going into next year, is it a small sample size this season and next year the runs they give up will be more equally distributed, or are they just too streaky? There's going to be some inconsistency with every player, but our bullpen has been among the worst at it. They're either lights out or horrible.
          Last edited by nny; 08-29-2010, 11:07 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

This about sums up our bullpen for the year.

"Very concerned," Rodriguez said, about Nunez. "At some point I have to take the starter out of the game unless he goes 150 pitches and that's not going to happen. At some point the bullpen has to step up. They have to come in and throw strikes. For the last five or six days they've been coming in and walking people."
            Diaz, McCann homers off Nunez send Braves to walk-off win

Comment

Unclutch does sum up our pen. Its all the difference from us being in the race or hell even leading the race for the playoffs.. Hensley was a bright spot but seems like he just got burned out but its hard when your options are limited when everyone is cheif walksalot

Comment

Is it at all possible that Nunez is just experiencing some fatigue? His numbers in August are ridiculously inflated as opposed to his other months, and this is, after all, his first full season as our closer.

Comment

Working...
                X