Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is This the Straw That Breaks Loria's Back?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is This the Straw That Breaks Loria's Back?

Since about an hour after Jeffrey Loria bought the team, there has been a growing contingent of fans/talking heads wanting him to sell it. 2003 bought him some time/goodwill with this crowd.

2006 comes along and all the goodwill disappears as the stadium deal falls apart, Samson takes his tours of third rate media markets and the roster is traded for pennies on the dollar.

Flash forward to today and there is a significant amount of anger from EVERYONE-- the league, fans, media, players' union, politicians. This is as bad as its ever been. 2012 is around this corner and if the anger, if not hatred of this group continues to build I would not be surprised if we start hearing whispers of Samson or Loria moving on. I cannot see how the league can allow all this ill will to overshadow the franchise and ballpark opening.

MLB tried to get rid of Loria once. He threatened to sue and the Marlins were his consolation prize. It is going to be very interesting to see if MLB tries to do it again and how they go about doing it.

It is amazing to see how inept this team is at anything that has to do with public relations. Every opportunity they get to screw up, they go one further and make things worse.

It's amazing too as if they did sell and had someone come in that wanted to up payroll, this team has the core to be a juggernaut.

Comment

And that is not a new development. The Loria has seen two cores of great players that could have been juggernauts.

Comment

Loria won't sell until after the stadium is ready to open at the earliest. A completed stadium would increase the value of the franchise. Although I would expect him to hold onto it that first season and then possibly sell.

Even with this news I doubt MLB makes a push to get him out until after that and that depends on if he doesn't make smart baseball decisions. Which this offseason will give more insight to how the organization will operate in years to come. Say if they hand out a few multi year deals even if uggla ends up traded because a contract can't be reached.

Does a good off season where a uggla deal or trade for 2 ready to produce players, a 3 year deal to nolasco/sanchez, an actual bullpen arm is signed, and a decent bench player is signed happens does this organization look bad? Would you still want Loria/Samson out the door?

Comment

Only way you'd get Loria to sell is if the poison pill of the stadium lease agreement is removed/waived.

He'd give the city of Miami something like 22% of the sale price if he sells now or through 2020.

Comment

Loria is scum, anyone whose ever thought differently is naive. I just hope this pressures him to spend more on the team or be forced out to go spend his jew gold elsewhere.
            Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM Hugg!

Comment

Can't imagine what Swift said is not correct.

Also, I no longer like Chewie

Comment

Yes, Swift is correct.

Also, it's not like Loria is the first owner to be loathed by the fanbase. The Twins fans all hated the Pohlad family throughout the 90's and 2000's, up until the stadium, because Carl always kept payroll low, tried to move the team on multiple occasions, and even tried to have them contracted, despite making $ the entire time and being a fucking billionaire. Then the Twins got a new stadium, Carl died (and is now inexplicably remembered as a great owner), the payroll rose, and people forgot all about it.

If Loria raises payroll and keeps guys around when the new stadium opens, people will forget. If the payroll remains low, then maybe MLB steps in and does something about Loria.

Also, I hope that guy who used to talk about "garish ethnic stereotypes" reads Chewie's comment, takes it seriously, and decides to comment on this story. He was the fun type of crazy.

Comment

What exactly is THE news?
                  Christian Yelich
                  LF, Greensboro Grasshoppers
                  12/5/1991 - 19 years old

.299/.375/.461/.836
                  100-334, 24 2B, 0 3B, 10 HR, 38 BB, 74 SO, 26 SB (4 CS)

------------------------------------

Last 10 Games:
                  .394/.512/.697/1.155

Last Update: 7/27/2011

Comment

Originally posted by Swift View Post
                    Only way you'd get Loria to sell is if the poison pill of the stadium lease agreement is removed/waived.

He'd give the city of Miami something like 22% of the sale price if he sells now or through 2020.
                    *Miami-Dade

For reference:

--------------------
                    Originally posted by wanks1212 View Post
                    Yes, Swift is correct.

Also, it's not like Loria is the first owner to be loathed by the fanbase. The Twins fans all hated the Pohlad family throughout the 90's and 2000's, up until the stadium, because Carl always kept payroll low, tried to move the team on multiple occasions, and even tried to have them contracted, despite making $ the entire time and being a fucking billionaire. Then the Twins got a new stadium, Carl died (and is now inexplicably remembered as a great owner), the payroll rose, and people forgot all about it.

If Loria raises payroll and keeps guys around when the new stadium opens, people will forget. If the payroll remains low, then maybe MLB steps in and does something about Loria.

Also, I hope that guy who used to talk about "garish ethnic stereotypes" reads Chewie's comment, takes it seriously, and decides to comment on this story. He was the fun type of crazy.
                    Loria/Samson do not have the respect Pohlad had with the Commissioner's Office and MLB. MLB did not want Loria to be the guy that moved the Expos to DC.

This is the ownership group MLB deemed so inept that they had to negotiate the stadium agreement for them.
                    Last edited by Party; 08-25-2010, 04:34 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

I honestly dont think Loria will be able to get away with shedding massive payroll now with all this new(although long suspected) information out. I was expecting a "market correction based on unexpected expenses related to the stadium" before.
                      Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
                      Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
                      Noah Perio
                      Jupiter
                      39 AB
                      15 H
                      0 2B
                      0 3B
                      0 HR
                      0 BB
                      .385/.385/.385

Comment

Gem from Samson on LeBatard just now "Jeffrey Loria never put a dollar in his pocket."

You know what, fuck this team. I'm embarrassed I have season tickets. They've got me through 2012 (fucking contracts ) , and then that's it. I'm done with them.

Comment

drama queens

Comment

Originally posted by nny View Post
                            drama queens
                            It's fine to ignore it, it's fine to say the numbers speak for themselves or that they're involved in league investigations and won't comment on deadspin, whatever, but to come out and still flat out deny any of this is insulting.

Comment

It is amazing to see how inept this team is at anything that has to do with public relations. Every opportunity they get to screw up, they go one further and make things worse.

--------------------
                              HAHAHAHA

We dumped Cody to gt Maybin playing time!!!
                              --------------------
                              We've got the 5th best record in the NL over the last 5 years!!!
                              Last edited by Party; 08-25-2010, 05:33 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Working...
                              X