No announcement yet.

Marcell Ozuna, RF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anyone concerned he's not hitting home runs? that's the only think I thought he WOULD do
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

I'm more excited that he's putting up the numbers he has without hitting them, because they're gonna come.

Comment

http://www.fishstripes.com/2013/6/7/...una-2013-power

Ozuna's definitely shown less power. Regardless, I'll take him being this kind of hitter than the kind of hitter he was in the minors.

Comment

He's not going to have a .418 BABIP forever.

Yeah his power should go up but I think his average is going to crash. ZIPs has him at a .719 OPS the rest of the way...I'm not that pessmesitic, but I think .750-.770 is about what I expect. With more seasoning, I think he can become a consistent .800 OPS bat

No way should we get rid of Stanton because of Ozuna.

Comment

Right...he was never this kind of hitter at any level, he's not a .320 average bat. It's going to drop, so I'm concerned that the power isn't there
            Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.

Comment

Originally posted by nny View Post
              He's not going to have a .418 BABIP forever.
              ehe

Comment

Yes?
                poop

Comment

Marlins manager Mike Redmond said Marcell Ozuna will likely move to center field when Giancarlo Stanton (hamstring) returns from the disabled list on Monday.

Ozuna has forced the Marlins to keep him on the roster after batting .328/.370/.467 with a homer and three steals in his first 35 games. He's better suited for a corner outfield spot, but the Fish will do what they can to keep him in the lineup. Ozuna moving to center means Justin Ruggiano and Chris Coghlan (when he returns from the DL) will ride the pine. Jun. 9 - 12:36 pm et
                  glad he gon be in center and not left, but I would hope it would mean that Pierre would ride the pine

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...=398845&spln=1

Comment

I would guess it mostly has to do with trying to raise Pierre's trade value, and if he still sucks when Cogz is back then it's DFA time.

Ruggs better at least be starting against lefties though

Comment

Ruggiano and Olivo need to be starting vs LHP's.

I get the feeling that Redmond doesn't see how obvious that is, though.

Comment

I wrote about a bit about Ozuna today (from a Fantasy perspective, still might be interesting), figured I'd share my thoughts on his new approach :

Something interesting has happened in the first 90-plus games of Ozuna's major-league career; he has almost completely changed what made him successful in the minors. Coming up in the Marlins' system, Ozuna was an all-or-nothing hitter, striking out in at least 21.3 percent of his plate appearances in each minor-league season, while often eclipsing that mark with room to spare. He made up for his high strikeout numbers by posting a .213 ISO in six seasons, with 20-plus home runs in each of his final three full seasons.

However, after 384 plate appearances in the majors, he sits at 19.5 percent; according to research done by BaseballProspectus.com, strikeout rate tends to stabilize after around 130 plate appearances. Whether we have coaching or Ozuna's own maturation as a hitter to credit, it appears this is a real improvement. He has sacrificed a bit of power as a result, but still has a respectable .153 ISO, with one home run every 28 at-bats.

Even with these improvements, Ozuna probably isn't a .300 hitter. As Chris Cwik noted in his post on strikeout rate, it's pretty difficult to strikeout in every fifth plate appearance and still post much more than an average batting average. Still, Ozuna probably has 20-homer power and has more speed than he has shown this season, so double-digit steals aren't out of the question. If he can hit .280, Ozuna's got a chance to be a very helpful Fantasy option.
                        poop

Comment

His swing is a lot shorter than you'd expect as a classic swing or miss guy.

Comment

It's a situation where I have no idea if that's how he was in the minors, or if it's something they've tweaked. It could explain the less-than-anticipated power.
                            poop

Comment

Yup. I'm just adding anecdotal bullshit

Comment

The fact that his K% is basically identical in consecutive seasons, even with the small-ish sample sizes makes me think it can be legitimate. Especially with the numbers suggesting that K-rate stabilizes after 20% of a season.
                                poop

Comment

Working...
                                X