No announcement yet.

Logan Morrison Called Up; Coghlan to DL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coghlan will ice the knee for two days before a decision is made on whether surgery is needed.

“They have to make a call on whether he’s going to have surgery or avoid surgery. He’s going to be at least two or three weeks,” Rodriguez said of Coghlan.

If Coghlan has surgery, he could be out six to eight weeks, not returning until mid-September at the earliest.

“It happened as I was going to pie Wes (Helms) in the face and when I jumped I landed on my knee wrong. That’s how I hurt it,” Coghlan said.

“Hopefully through this experience, obviously Kendry Morales’ was a little bit more serious than mine, but hopefully players around the league will realize that even though were all excited just to be a little bit more cautious, a little bit more safe when we celebrate. It was one of those freak things that happen.”

Coghlan has never been on the disabled list. But he knew something was wrong less than a minute after it happened.

“It took me 30, 45 seconds. I was like, ‘OK, something happened.’ Iced it after the game. Took that flight out there, which was real rough on my knee because of that elevation, flying seven hours, it was more swollen, the doc said, than it might’ve been.”

Coghlan’s injury was a reminder of Angels slugger Kendry Morales, who broke his leg in May in a post-game celebration.

“My initial reaction is you just can’t believe it,” said Helms. “Then once it all sinks in, you hate to see anybody get hurt but you want them if they do get hurt to get hurt on the playing field to get hurt on the playing field.

“To do it that way, it’s one of those freak things and you take it a little harder. I know he does and do as a team that it had to happen that way, on a celebration. I don’t think it has sunk in yet on everybody.

“I didn’t know (intitally). I got pie-ed in the face finished the interview and came in (to the clubhouse) and nothing happened. Then I saw him last night icing on the plane and figured his knee was sore from where he got hit (by a pitch) the other night.

“Today I got to the field and they said he’s getting an MRI then I found out what happened.”

Wes agrees with the pie-celebration ban.

“Celebrations are fun. You hate for this to be the cancellation of the celebration but you can’t take celebrations too far. Each time you celebrate it seems like it gets more and more exciting and guys get more and more into it,” Helms said.

“Any time you go after a guy like that and chase him down, it’s very dangerous. It really is. Anybody can get stepped on. You can turn an ankle. This year with Morales and now Coghlan it has maybe opened up not just to us but to the whole league that hey on these celebration we need to be careful and keep these guys in the lineup and not on the DL.”
    Logan Morrison called up after Chris Coghlan injures knee in Florida Marlins post-game pie celebration

Comment

I fault those who run from Pie.
      There's No jOOj In Team.

Comment

Wes agrees with the pie-celebration ban.
        always knew Uncle Wes didn't like to have fun
        Originally posted by Madman81
        Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
        Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Jeez this really sucks.

Comment

it sucks because now they won't move cantu or, if they do, we have to deal with boner and wes every day
            Originally posted by Madman81
            Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
            Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by markotsay7 View Post
              it sucks because now they won't move cantu or, if they do, we have to deal with boner and wes every day
              This.

Fuckin' idiot. At least Coghlan has been pretty crappy this year so it's not a huge loss.
              This post was brought to you by: Dat SEC Speed

Comment

Donnie Murphy my friend! Still CC's injury is a big letdown (hoping it isn't the severe tear and just need minor surgery 4-6 weeks probably around recovery time). Also sucks no more pie's, just have Emilio do it who cares if he gets hurt...that was uncalled for.

Comment

I don't really get why they're banning the pie celebration. It's not like they took Coghlan and hit him in the knee with a steel chair for 10 minutes.

Comment

Thats what they get for having an unexperienced pie man doing a professional pie job. Hanley, Ross, Bonifacio, and Uggla, that is the designated pie squad.

Comment

It's the whole "it's all fun and games until somebody gets hurt" mentality. They didn't care until CC got hurt and now they think they have to do something to stop it from happening again.

Comment

Weaksauce.

Comment

Working...
                        X