Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marlins In or Out of the Race?

Projecting wins using today's win percentages:

For some perspective, through 95 games the 2003 squad was 49-46 and 2.5 games behind the Dodgers in the NL Wild Card race. That team won 42 of their final 67. The equivalent of winning 102 wins (.627 W%).
    Hell yes!
    39.13%
    Hell no!
    60.87%

To me, it comes down to our offense. If someone other than Gaby were to finally step up, we'd be in the thick of things.

It's amazing how underachieving the offense has been this season.

Comment

Originally posted by Ramp View Post
      To me, it comes down to our offense. If someone other than Gaby were to finally step up, we'd be in the thick of things.

You've gotta think that somewhere along the line, largely based on his streaky career, that Cantu is going to bust out and go on a tear. He could end up being the key.

Comment

Cantu gon bust one tonight I bet.
        "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
        - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

Originally posted by Ramp View Post

Just an example:

Hanley Runs Created (using OBP x TB)

2007: 138.6
          2008: 127.2
          2009: 129
          2010 (Projected): 106.02

Almost three wins and that's just Hanley.

Comment

Out.

Too many other teams to jump, too many issues with this team. But the winning streak is nice.

Comment

I would love to say in but we're still below .500, the offense is too inconsistent and there's too many teams to jump. I think I'll be happy if we can just jump the Mets and finish the year in 3rd.
              Last edited by THE_REAL_MIBS; 07-23-2010, 02:50 PM.

Comment

Unfortunately, out

Like Wanks said there are just too many teams to jump. Knowing the Marlins though, they will probably make it very interesting.

Comment

Mba

Would you be happy if we made the playlets but volstad was in the minors the rest of the year?

question
                  Originally posted by Madman81
                  Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                  Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

I love a perfectly placed Das reference

Comment

Originally posted by Daft View Post
                      Knowing the Marlins though, they will probably make it very interesting.
                      Yeah, I can see them cutting this to two or three games with only 2-3 teams in front of them at some point over the next month or two and people getting excited, but they won't be able to overtake everyone. They'll probably finish in the 83 win range and around 7 games out, but they'll at least sustain interest for awhile.

Comment

Originally posted by wanks1212 View Post
                        Yeah, I can see them cutting this to two or three games with only 2-3 teams in front of them at some point over the next month or two and people getting excited, but they won't be able to overtake everyone. They'll probably finish in the 83 win range and around 7 games out, but they'll at least sustain interest for awhile.
                        Well if they do that they are "in the race"
                        "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
                        - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

Not really, because they'll never have enough to take the WC lead and hold onto it. Having enough to temporarily knock the lead down to a few games isn't enough to be in the race if the team doesn't have the firepower to (1) take the WC lead and (2) hold that lead.

Getting close enough to be in shouting distance isn't "in the race," at least in my mind. To be in the race, there needs to be a realistic expectation that they can take the WC lead and hold onto that lead until the conclusion of the season. And I don't see them doing that. The best I see them doing is narrowing the lead to a couple of games.

Comment

Originally posted by Valid View Post
                            You've gotta think that somewhere along the line, largely based on his streaky career, that Cantu is going to bust out and go on a tear. He could end up being the key.
                            Cantu is the last person I would expect to go in the positive direction.

Comment

We're really bad.
                              Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM Hugg!

Comment

Working...
                              X