Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2011 Season Opener Likely in Miami Versus Mets

Josh Johnson vs. Johan Santana.

The pitching matchup attracted 41,245 at Citi Field on Opening Day when the Marlins took on the Mets.

The two All-Star pitchers are fixtures on their respective teams. Chances are, they will be matched up again on Opening Day in 2011. This time in Miami.

Nothing is official, as schedules for next season have yet to be released, but indications are the Marlins will face the Mets in the '11 opener. The game most likely will be on a Friday night.

The 2011 season will be the Marlins last at Sun Life Stadium, their home since their inaugural 1993 campaign.

Recently, the Marlins worked out a one-year lease extension to play at Sun Life Stadium in 2011.

There was some speculation a few weeks ago that the Marlins would open against the Mets, but with the series being played in San Juan, Puerto Rico. While the Marlins are expected to play three games in Puerto Rico in '11, it won't be their first series.

In 2012, the Marlins are moving into their new retractable-roof ballpark in the Little Havana section of Miami.

-- Joe Frisaro
    http://joefrisaro.mlblogs.com/archiv...y_at_home.html

Wow just 9 months until the last Opening Day at JRS.

I was actually curious if the new stadium will be ready by opening day 2012(if this has been answered, I apologize) or if its likely they start on a roadtrip?
    Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
    Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
    Noah Perio
    Jupiter
    39 AB
    15 H
    0 2B
    0 3B
    0 HR
    0 BB
    .385/.385/.385

Comment

My understanding is the target date is January of 2012 so it should be ready for the opener.

They were shooting for such an early date because of possible weather issues. Since construction began we've been really fortunate with the weather.

Comment

Originally posted by Todd View Post
        I was actually curious if the new stadium will be ready by opening day 2012(if this has been answered, I apologize) or if its likely they start on a roadtrip?
        The stadium is more than 50% done by what Tommy & Rich have said on telecasts.
        --------------------
        Originally posted by Swift View Post
        My understanding is the target date is January of 2012 so it should be ready for the opener.

They were shooting for such an early date because of possible weather issues. Since construction began we've been really fortunate with the weather.
        That is probably changing tomorrow.....not so lucky.....
        Last edited by Emperor; 07-22-2010, 08:41 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Originally posted by Todd View Post
          Last week Claude Delorme said the stadium would probably open the second week of April. Target Field, Citi Field and Yankee Stadium all opened in the second week of April.

The first game in the new stadium will be an exhibition game (league mandated). In PETCO, Target and Citi Field the first games were collegiate baseball. The Yankees exhibition game was Yankees-Cubs. I would prefer the Marlins open up the new ballpark with an exhibition game against the Yankees. But if they decide a smaller crowd would be easier to manage/test equipment it will be the U against someone else-- preferably FIU.

Comment

FIU vs. UM makes sense I suppose.
            Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
            Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
            Noah Perio
            Jupiter
            39 AB
            15 H
            0 2B
            0 3B
            0 HR
            0 BB
            .385/.385/.385

Comment

Working...
            X