No announcement yet.

Donnie Murphy Bails Out the Rook, Fish Win 9-8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But I think the team becomes modest buyers if we win these next two series. Obviously, we'll never go out and get the Oswalt or Lilly or Myers for the rotation and the catcher we need but maybe a bullpen arm or two a la Rhodes whatever deadline that was. Maybe our Nick Johnson.

Comment

I don't think just winning these next 2 series does it

we seriously need to win 3 of 4 and sweep the Braves

If this team wants to be buyers, they need to go on a tear right now

Comment

I honestly don't think we should do much either way. Although I wouldn't mind trading Cantu.

Comment

Originally posted by FishFanInPA View Post
          I'm just saying. My tune will change if we take 3 of 4 from the Rox (conceivable considering we have the edge in 2 of the next 3 games and even Francis isn't that good) and take the series from Atlanta then why not go after it? Especially if the MLB is making us spend money.
          I agree... Maybe the team is getting hot? We have been waiting all season for this lets see them run with it..

Trading Cantu makes this a better team instantly especially in the field. Seems like every other game he costs us a run with an error. Im neutral on Ross whether he is traded or not.

Hopefully tomm Cantu gets moved further down the line up too!

Comment

Projecting out the rest of the season:

East Champion- Braves 95 wins .587
            Central Champion- Cardinals 91 wins .559
            West Champion- Padres 96 wins (!!!) .593
            Wild Card- Reds 90 wins .553

Others:

COL- 88 .543
            SF- 88 .543
            NYM- 86 .533
            LAD- 86 .533
            PHI- 85 .522

Marlins would have to win 46 of their remaining 70 games (.657 W%) to finish ahead of Cincy at the current pace.

I don't see the current squad putting together a streak like that.

Comment

We can overtake Philly. That team doesnt scare me with Utley out. Outside of Halladay, their pitching sucks hardcore. Hamels is inconsistent while Kendrick, Moyer and Blanton blow.

Colorado can't play all of their games at home. They are a piss poor road team.

San Francisco is hot right now but they've shown their offense can go cold.

The Mets offense is cold right now and their SP's are coming back to earth.

The Dodgers are jekyll and hyde.

Comment

and what the hell are we?

we'll need Sanabia continue pitching well, Volstad to come up pretend he is a rookie again, Nate to get sent to the pen (or Asia), Cantu to either get uber hot or traded, Mike Stanton to get hot (might be happening), Chris Coghlan to turn it around again, and the pen to continue this recent magic (Jhan's bad outing be damned)

seems reasonable enough

Comment

Why don't we just enjoy tonights awesome win? I'm still totally amped up from that walk off.

FLA scored 3 total runs in 3 games vs WAS and needed a miracle walk off tonight to overcome another bullpen train wreck. The Marlins are not going to the playoffs but I suppose it's OK to dream.

Comment

Stanton OBLITERATED the ball on his tater.

Murphy's was even more impressive because the wind was swirling hard, he flat out killed it.

Comment

Yes it's a pipe dream i know but is there really a team ahead of us for the wild card that doesnt have some sort of weakness that could be exploited.

And okay Daft, i'll play your game....

The Rockies scored 4 runs against the Reds in Cincy last time out.
                      The Phillies lost three of four to the piss poor Cubs in Wrigley.
                      The Dodgers scored 9 runs in four games against the Cardinals in St. Louis
                      The Rangers were swept at home by the Orioles before the all-star break.

The difference? We took two of three and won the series while the others didnt.

Yes I know it's a pipedream, but let me think there's a future for us. That dream could be snuffed out on the west coast trip after the homestand but even if that goes our way then we have the Phillies and Cards who we can close the gap on.

Comment

Even to win 88 games, which may not take a WC spot, this team needs to finish 43-27. Like, really? This team? Playing 16 games over .500 for the rest of the season?

They still have a shot to finish over .500, which would make for a decent enough season (except to Loria/Samson), all things considered. But there's just no damn way they get to that 88-90 win range necessary to make the playoffs. They could have added Cliff Lee and that still wasn't happening, and there's no point in being buyers just to up the win total from the 80-82 range to the 83-85 range, because that's still not making them a playoff team.

It doesn't appear they're dealing Nolasco and Uggla, but they can sell of Cantu and Ross (and maybe Leo), keep everyone else, and still put together a nice season. Logan and Maybin (when healthy) coming back isn't all that detrimental to the present and would help for the future. Just go for that avenue and see what happens.
                        --------------------
                        Also, here's where I'll point out that the BP playoff odds give the Marlins just under a 5% chance at the playoffs and have the average wins of the NL WC winner at 91.5. 91 wins? For these guys?

Christ on a bicycle, buying would be a bad idea.
                        Last edited by wanks1212; 07-19-2010, 11:31 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Except Fip, those teams are good. We are average still below average.
                          --------------------
                          wanks, what if venison was involved?
                          Last edited by Ramp; 07-19-2010, 11:34 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Originally posted by FishFanInPA View Post
                            Yes it's a pipe dream
                            I'm glad you agree with me.

Comment

doesnt mean I can't think it could happen

Comment

If we're buyers, we should buy Lunchables Pizzas for the whole team through the rest of the year

That's the only way to ensure this season will end in a pile

Comment

Working...
                                X