Wins Still Talk: Why Johnson Isn't Starting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wins Still Talk: Why Johnson Isn't Starting

NL All-Star manager Charlie Manuel said (I think, I had to translate from hillbilly) that he picked Ubaldo Jimenez over Josh Johnson to start on Tuesday because ever since he came up he's been great, and in the series they've played against the Rockies he's stood out.

The Phillies have not faced Jimenez this year. In the last 3 years, he has an 8.10 ERA in 10 innings vs. the Phillies (2 starts).

JJ has 15 scoreless innings against the Phillies this year. Over the last three years, he's 3-1 with a 3.71 ERA in 40.1 innings.

Of course, much has been made about how much better Johnson has been than Jimenez this season in most ways. Johnson's ERA is 0.50 points lower, and his WHIP is 0.09 points lower. In five fewer innings, Johnson has ten more strikeouts and 18 (!) fewer walks. He's given up two fewer home runs. His OPS against is 0.035 points lower. Johnson's WAR is 4.4 to Jimenez's 3.6. His xFIP is 0.65 lower. His FIP is 0.82 lower.

But Jimenez has benefited from a bullpen that doesn't blow his wins, and he heads into the All Star Break with a 15-1 record, as opposed to Johnson's 9-3 record. Despite the progress that was seemingly made in the Cy Young voting last year, in which Zack Greinke and Tim Lincecum won with a small number of wins, the old guard in baseball can't unhook themselves from the allure of wins.
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

I bet Maneul chooses JJ if he doesn't play for a division rival
    God would be expecting a first pitch breaking ball in the dirt because humans love to disappoint him.
    - Daft

Comment

Working...
    X