Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speculation: Sell! Sell! Sell! Discussion

Marlins primed to make deals
    The deeper they fall in the standing, the great the chance the Marlins will be open to making moves.

In fact, there are rumbings from within the organization that they may be willing to listen to offers for just about everyone not named Josh Johnson or Hanley Ramirez. Besides those two -- plus players who are not yet in their arbitration years -- the club could be ready to make some changes.

There are indications that Ricky Nolasco, who has one year remaining in arbitration, could be dealt for the right price. The Marlins are in no rush to move the 27-year-old right-hander, but they would certainly listen to what is available.

Jorge Cantu is eligible for free agency after the season. While the Marlins are high on the veteran, who has been a steady run producer, they might not be in position to sign him to a multi-year deal if his salary reaches more than $10 million. Cantu appears to be the most likely Marlin to be moved before the end of the season.

Dan Uggla and Cody Ross -- like Nolasco -- have one year of arbitration remaining. There is no immediate urgency to trade either player. But both may bring back some parts to build upon for the future.

Nate Robertson, acquired late in Spring Training from Detroit, also could be an attractive trade piece should the Marlins be out of the race by the end of the month.

The team certainly is looking for bullpen help, but that's not the only area they hope to address. Offensively, they are hoping to become more balanced and less streaky.

-- Joe Frisaro
    http://mlb.mlblogs.com/archives/2010...ake_deals.html
    Last edited by Party; 07-04-2010, 09:21 AM.

I don't even think it would be all that bad for us if we moved Cantu, brought Cogs back to the infield and let LoMo play left.

That's not selling, that's improving.

Comment

With the quality young talents beinfest has been getting in exchange for our established players, this should be simply fanfuckingtastic. Andrew Miller helped combined for a no hitter this year after all.
      Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM Hugg!

Comment

Originally posted by Swift View Post
        I don't even think it would be all that bad for us if we moved Cantu, brought Cogs back to the infield and let LoMo play left.

That's not selling, that's improving.
        you know they would play Bonerface at 2B or 3B. Despite the foolishness of it they will do it.

But, I am not against moving any of the above guys. I would like to keep Sanchez for another year despite his arby situation due to the fact I think his head is finally on straight and he is ready to pitch this year. Last year I would throw out due to the loss of his child.

Comment

They've actually soured on Boner and are already thinking about moving Cogs back to the infield.

• With Gaby Sanchez continuing to impress, there's increasing thought inside the Marlins to moving Triple A first baseman Logan Morrison (.320) to left field and Chris Coghlan to second or third base eventually. Dan Uggla, Cody Ross and/or Jorge Cantu could be dealt if Florida is out of contention. Manager Edwin Rodriguez said that when he managed Triple A New Orleans this season, Morrison ``played only four games in left and is below average there. But he's way more advanced than Coghlan was when he made the move to left.''
          Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/07/0...#ixzz0sjGL7DpS

I wouldn't put it past them to find a spot for Boner next year if both Cantu and Uggla get moved, but if there's only one IF spot they aren't going to play Logan in LF, Boner at 3B, and bench Cogs. Boner's going to fall into the Amezaga-type of super utility role. Which is fine, so long as he's not in his arby years.

Comment

Where would you bat Boni though?

Gaby has done extremely well batting second, why change that? And likely Cameron will be batting 8th next year, so bat Boni 7th? Or Cam 7th?

I just do no see Boni as an everyday player. Let him be a poor man's Amezaga.
            --------------------
            Oh and I so misread the last part, sorry!
            Last edited by Miamarlin21; 07-04-2010, 10:53 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
            LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

Stuff your sorries in a sack, mister

Comment

Nolasco has 2 years of arbitration left.

Also, no problem moving him if the price is right, but it's going to need to be something big. If we can get two big A/B+ arms that are near MLB ready for Uggla and Nolasco and some lefty relievers for Cantu, Ross, Nate Rob, and Helms, team is going to look good going into next year as long as they sign a vet 3B, two veteran bench bats, and at least one veteran reliever.
                --------------------
                Got an email back from Cot's, Nolasco was optioned apparently Aug 21 in 2007, which kept his service time down.

He has arbitration for two years. Frisario, is wrong.
                Last edited by lou; 07-04-2010, 12:15 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Sell Cantu, moving Coghlan 3:16, and promoting LoMo is all for me

Comment

I'd also like to extend Uggla, but really, I can get behind a 3:1 for him so long as Cogs is the 2B heir.

I'm not against blowing it up as long as the turnover is proper (meaning no Bonifacio).

Comment

Unless the marlins go on a crazy run before the 31th, they should be sellers.

Trade NateRob, he should draw some interest since he cheap, a lefty, and serviceable. Not expecting to get anything sexy in return, but even a c- rp sect would be cool. We already a couple of replacement internally, and give west or sanabia a look for a spot in the rotation. No reason to keep him since
                      he'll walk as a FA next year, so might as well get something
                      of value in the future.

Trade cantu, personally I think he sucks, but some other team will fall for his RBIs. Evven though he will be a type b FA, we should still trade him cause they probably won't offer arb, and i prefer that we give Logan a taste instead. move cogs to 3B, logan in LF.

Unless the marlins get an incredible package for uggla, got to keep him, he a top 5 2B in baseball. Try to sign him to a 3yr deal please. Same with nolasco, I still have faith in him.

Undecided about Ross, if maybin's injury is serious then keep him. If not then trade him, can't see the marlins going into next year with maybin in AAA again.

In the offseason, the marlins need to fix the bullpen, bench, and we should be fine
                      Originally posted by Matt Wilson
                      Fish and Chips just became the smartest man on the board
                      Tom Koehler(4-0)
                      AAA: 7 GS, 40.2 IP, 2.66 ERA, 34 H, 12 ER, 17 BB, 31 SO, GO/AO 0.87, BAA .233 , 1.25 WHIP

Comment

Going to be very hard to sign Uggla to a 3 year deal spanning ages 31-33. This is the one opportunity Uggla is going to have to cash in. It's going to have to be a 4 year deal or Uggla will play out 2011 and take his chances he stays healthy. I suspect he would take about 4/$46-50. Worth it? Maybe you can fight him on a vesting option for "hometown" reasons, but for some reason I don't see anyone willingly giving our super nice ownership a break.

Nolasco, why bother signing him when his inconsistency makes him a bargain in arbitration. We don't need to be guaranteeing him money past 2011 until he rights his ship all the time. What is it, 20 HR now before the all star break? Marlins can murder him in arbitration.

As for Ross, he's solid, but going to cost $6 million in arbitration. I think the Marlins can find a .775 OPSing center fielder that plays good defense in free agency or a nominal trade for cheaper that that. He should be moved for pitching in the offseason, or sooner if Maybin is able to play and the team falls out of the race for good. Actually, who the hell wants Cody Ross for $6 million, they pretty much have to move him at the deadline to some team who needs someone to slug lefties and play a little bit. This Maybin injury really sucks. I really wonder if they just say screw it even if Maybin is seriously hurt, and Bonifacio/Carroll center field last two months of the season.

Cantu, Nate Rob, and Helms, who cares. Bring in anything that could be useful next year. We'll resign Helms in free agency anyways.

Comment

Nate Rob has value? We might as well stop using him before he fucks that up.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by FishFanInPA View Post
                              Nate Rob has value? We might as well stop using him before he fucks that up.
                              For value, he'd be a nice guy in the pen for a contending team.

And this will shock some of you, I would totally sign Nate Rob for next season (at a reasonable cost), to be a veteran left hander out of the bullpen. Kills lefties, and would be a non embarrassing defacto 6th starter. What more can you ask for?

I don't know if he wants that job, but he'd be good at it.

Comment

Working...
                              X