Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Postgame: Marlins Dispose of Mets 10-3 in Puerto Rico

Ricky's back.

Ignore the 2 blasts (if you can), he looked gooooood tonight.

Stanton going boom is nice

if we bunt with Coghs or Gaby again I'm gon hurl

Can't really ignore the blasts, just live with them I guess.
    CSBC Commish

Comment

Originally posted by Ramp View Post
      Ricky's back.

Ignore the 2 blasts (if you can), he looked gooooood tonight.

Stanton going boom is nice

if we bunt with Coghs or Gaby again I'm gon hurl
      I completely understand that we do not want to bunt with our two hottest hitters, while Gabys may have been instructed by the staff, Coghlans most likely wasnt. And as a leadoff hitter, Cogs should be able to drop one down on occassion, at the worst, its a SAC.

But if Gabys not on fire, is it ok to bunt in that situation in the 1st?

Comment

I don't think you should ever be giving away outs.

As for Coghs, no doubt in my mind that he was told to bunt there.

Comment

sac bunts should never be okay

i wish more baseball people understood this
          Originally posted by Madman81
          Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
          Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

So in no situation, other than a pitcher batting, should a sac bunt be ok? I mean are you saying a leadoff double in a tie game in the bottom of 9th, followed by a sac bunt, is taboo? I understand the point, as 90 percent of the time you are giving the other team an out. But I definitely see the merit for it in National League baseball at times.

Comment

It's definitely taboo.

Comment

Originally posted by TealMonster08 View Post
                So in no situation, other than a pitcher batting, should a sac bunt be ok? I mean are you saying a leadoff double in a tie game in the bottom of 9th, followed by a sac bunt, is taboo? I understand the point, as 90 percent of the time you are giving the other team an out. But I definitely see the merit for it in National League baseball at times.

Run expectancy chart, you can make up the situations in your head
                CSBC Commish

Comment

For me, it depends who is batting really

Comment

90 percent of the time you are giving the other team an out
                    no, 100% of the time you are giving the other team an out, this is the purpose and meaning of a sacrifice

and in your specific situation you described, IF you can get a successful bunt down you raise your win expectancy by .027. If you fail to move the runner over and make an out you lower your win expectancy by .104. Big, big difference there. I guess if you're 100% certain you can have a successful bunt and move the runner to 3rd then maybe. but bunts are really anything but sure things
                    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.

Comment

Sac bunts are useless if you are a good situational hitter. My only problem with our team is that we are the shittiest of situational hitters, and a Strikeout or a Double Play make me less angry than a sac bunt.

In retrospect, Gaby and Coghlan shouldnt bunt because they are good situational hitters under normal circumstances, obviously Uggla, Cantu, Ramirez, Paulino, Stanton and Ross traditionally have too much power to sac bunt. So maybe our team is not the type that should ever lay down a bunt, but I dont think we can bash a new manager for trying a little bit of a different style when we are struggling to produce.

Comment

You would think when you are struggling to produce, that you would not want to give away precious outs.

Comment

but we won

and he's puerto rican

you're missing the point ramp

Comment

Sac Bunts are the worst.

/Waves White Flag.

Im happy that we won.
                            Maybe we can do it again tomorrow.

Comment

Play 'em all down in Rich Port

Comment

Working...
                              X