• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dave Collins Resigns

MarlinsMedia: First base coach Dave Collins resigns from #Marlins
    /Twitter

They're dropping like flies.

He looks like one of those guys that probably thinks the front office is full of douche bags and doesn't want to work there anymore.

Comment

Awesome.

Comment

Hyde will coach first tonight
        Originally posted by Madman81
        Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
        Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

It always takes me way too long to figure out resigns v.s. re-signs

Comment

Just remember that we don't usually re-sign people and assume it's always resign
            Originally posted by Madman81
            Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
            Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Gotta love the English language. I guess it's stuff like that that makes people say that English is the hardest language to learn if it is not your first.

Comment

He's been in the game as a player or coach for more than 30 years. Dave Collins said the most gut wrenching decision he's made over that span was resigning as the Marlins first base/outfield coach.

In his first year on the job, Collins on Saturday said the right thing to do was step down in the aftermath Fredi Gonzalez's dismissal.

"If Fredi was still there, I still would be there," Collins said. "Fredi is not there and I needed to do what I felt was right. It's not as easy thing, but I felt it was the right thing. I respect the organization and the people I work for. I didn't want to disappoint anybody, but most importantly I didn't want to come back on my principles. I needed to follow what I believe is right. What was right was for me to step away."

Driving back home to Marietta, Ga., Saturday when he heard the news, Gonzalez was not surprised, saying: "He's a loyal soldier and I back him on any decision he makes."

In his first season on the Marlins' staff, Collins said the front office guaranteed he was in the club's future. More than the uncertainty of not knowing who the Marlins would install as their next manager, Collins didn't want that person saddled with a coach he didn't want.

"I don't think they were happy about it, but I have tremendous respect for Michael Hill and Larry Beinfest and David Samson, and especially Jeffrey Loria," Collins said. "I certainly didn't want to disappoint them because they've given me a lot of support and a lot of opportunity, but most importantly I didn't want to disappoint myself. I would have been disappointed in myself if I hadn't followed what I felt was the right thing to do."

Collins didn't resign Wednesday when Gonzalez was fired because he felt an obligation to help the incoming coaches and players transition. Once he felt everyone was sufficiently acclimated, he informed the front office of his decision Saturday afternoon.

"When I first came over here to coach I felt like my job was to help keep Fredi Gonzalez's job," Collins said. "That didn't happen and in the short time I've been in the organization I've got a great deal of respect and admiration for Fredi Gonzalez as a person and as a manager. When they let him go I was really disheartened and disappointed."

Collins said he hoped the players got as much from him as he got from them.

"To me when you're part of a team your contribution has to be such that when you leave there they were better because you were there in some way," he said. "I think the players I had an opportunity to be with hopefully are a little bit better because I was able to touch them in some way. I can honestly tell you they made me better and hopefully I did the same for them as well."

Brandon Hyde, who came aboard Wednesday as interim bench coach, served as the first base coach Saturday. Minor league outfield and base running coordinator Tarrik Brock will join the team in Puerto Rico Monday.
                First base coach Collins resigns due to Gonzalez firing

Comment

Dave Collins should go manage the Orioles.

Comment

Working...
                  X