Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fredi Gonzalez and the Bullpen of Doom Ruin Everything; Rays Beat Fish in Extras 9-8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lou View Post
    I think if you sign Uggla for 3-4 years, keep Nolasco, Nunez, Anibal, Paulino, and sign a viable FA reliever and bench, all would be forgiven if the defections are only Cantu, a FA who is gone anyways, and Ross, who is relatively expendable if you sign a legitimate 4th outfielder. I also think even casual fans would understand if those two are moved for pitching.
    But you have to trade for MLB ready players, and someone the casual fan knows or as has been stated, the casual fans are going to look at it and say "firesale". And if you do that, it means pitchers that have decent salaries, and is Loria willing to take on that kind of risky salary situation in his 1st season in the new park.

This all happened because the front office didn't bit the bullet and trade two of the three (Cantu/Uggla/Ross) this past off-season. Their safe window of operation has just about closed, and they blew it. They put too much into a team that frankly overachieved last year, thinking that a career year out of Hanley would be repeated every year.

I still don't know what they were thinking about that bullpen. It was the weakpoint last year, and they did zilch to upgrade it. Criminal negligence is what I call it, and it should cost someone his job.

Comment

exactly what DolfanJake said. If it's MLB pitching and we keep Uggla then it's forgiven. Like Frisaro, Tommy and Rich, etc. have said, everyone complains about the bullpen more than anything else. So if somehow Ross or Cantu were moved for ready elite pen arms, I think people would forgive it. But if it's prospects there is no way people will turn the other cheek. There will be no forgiveness.
      Originally posted by Madman81
      Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
      Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

People like to complain about every little thing their favorite team does or does not do when they arent winning a championship. If they moved those guys and fixed the bullpen and their offense struggled a bit, there would be a new complaint

Comment

sure, and the offense probably would sputter, but complaining is fine, it shows that people still care. the issue is if people get fed up with the team and don't come back
          Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.

Comment

Originally posted by DolfanJake View Post
            But you have to trade for MLB ready players, and someone the casual fan knows or as has been stated, the casual fans are going to look at it and say "firesale". And if you do that, it means pitchers that have decent salaries, and is Loria willing to take on that kind of risky salary situation in his 1st season in the new park.

This all happened because the front office didn't bit the bullet and trade two of the three (Cantu/Uggla/Ross) this past off-season. Their safe window of operation has just about closed, and they blew it. They put too much into a team that frankly overachieved last year, thinking that a career year out of Hanley would be repeated every year.

I still don't know what they were thinking about that bullpen. It was the weakpoint last year, and they did zilch to upgrade it. Criminal negligence is what I call it, and it should cost someone his job.
            I disagree. Ideally you get a Jon Sanchez back or whatever, but you don't need a name. MLB ready now (or by 2011, as in we aren't contending this year) absolutely. Salary doesn't make performance. And it's hard to say the front office is doing it again when they have locked Hanley and Johnson longterm, and likely before the stadium hits will do at least Coghlan and Volstad.

And biting the bullet and selling low would have been the worst case scenario. There is no safe zone now. All they have to do is keep Uggla and Leo next year, which at this point is not a stretch, and payroll is going to go up to satisfy MLB. All they have to do is sign a LOOGY next year and everyone will be happy with the pen additions, because Marinez, Jennings, etc are coming fast. The also barely overachieved last year, 2-3 games. The weakness was also the SP last year, not the bullpen. Bullpen 11th in baseball in era.

I think your frustration is getting the best of you. The bullpen is truly awful, but this isn't the end all be all of everything if as a result they move Cantu and Ross.

Winning cures everything. You win, no one cares with what players.
            --------------------
            Originally posted by markotsay7 View Post
            sure, and the offense probably would sputter, but complaining is fine, it shows that people still care. the issue is if people get fed up with the team and don't come back
            This is a bandwagon town. They all come back.
            Last edited by lou; 06-20-2010, 11:17 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

but we don't need them to come back in october 2012. we need them there april through july of 2012

Comment

Who is this "them" that is currently somewhere that will be elsewhere in 2012?

The people who will go in 2012 dont go to many games right now. They will go at least because it is the thing to do in 2012 and then maybe they will stay (for the whole game).

Comment

they will not go in 2012 if they have the perception that the team trades everyone for prospects. then we're looking at 12-15k a game in a brand new stadium

Comment

I can say, without any doubt in my mind, that that was the most painful Marlins game to ever go to in person. I really am jealous of anyone who was anywhere else in the world.
                    God would be expecting a first pitch breaking ball in the dirt because humans love to disappoint him.
                    - Daft

Comment

Working...
                    X