No announcement yet.

Maybin Optioned to AAA; Hensley to DL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calling up potential every day players to sit on the bench is shitty roster management.
    poop

Comment

You aren't going to like me much, but I'm pretty sure I'd rather have Maybin on this team than Cody. Not entirely sure what that's based off of other than my own instincts. I know the numbers kill Maybin, but whatever.

I'm just kind of fed up with Beinfest right now. The roster shuffling he's done is stupid.

Comment

chris, on the one hand you say cousins is sucking and on the other he's a potential every day player. he's a 25-year-old outfielder who's OPSing in the .500s in AAA. I do not think he is or will be an everyday player. I do think his skill set could make him a good 4th outfielder though, and my point is that we don't know how he will look at the major league level but what we do know is that mike lamb sucks
        Originally posted by Madman81
        Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
        Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

A player can suck and end up being an every day player. With his defense, if he puts up a .750 OPS he's an everyday player. It's more important to give him an opportunity to beocme that than to be our 25th man.
          poop

Comment

Who? Cousins or Maybin?

Comment

The point works for both, but I'm referring to Cousins in particular.
              poop

Comment

I am more confident that Maybin will put the ball in the play than this Stanton fella

Comment

Update: John Baker has been moved from the 15 to the 60-day disabled list, making room on the 40-man roster for infielder Mike Lamb.
                  LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

Originally posted by Swift View Post
                    You aren't going to like me much, but I'm pretty sure I'd rather have Maybin on this team than Cody. Not entirely sure what that's based off of other than my own instincts. I know the numbers kill Maybin, but whatever.

I'm just kind of fed up with Beinfest right now. The roster shuffling he's done is stupid.
                    You have completely lost me, Swifty.

Comment

I actually agree with Swift. I don't like the way we're running this team right now because I feel like we're trying to play it both ways when our real focus should be on 2012. We're not gonna win anything this season. We're not terrible or anything, but we're not good enough to make the playoffs.

There is nothing Maybin can prove in AAA. He needs to be playing every day for us for the rest of the season. Cody is not going to be here in 2012, trade him and put Maybin in CF.

Because sooner or later we're going to have to make the real decision on Cam and right now we're just delaying that. Get him in the lineup for the rest of the year and then make the decision, one way or another. I don't want to play this can he or can't he game with him for the next 2 years.

Comment

Yeah my point is that regardless of what the numbers say, Cody isn't a huge contributor this season for us (as in, if he goes, we won't substantially miss his production) and he isn't a great defensive center-fielder. This isn't to say he's bad out there, but just that he doesn't bring anything to the table that I'd label above average or irreplaceable.

In Cam, you have a guy that needs to play every day, if for no other reason than it allows us to permanently pull the plug on him a year earlier than we would under this plan.

Additionally, I think Cam is the only guy on the roster that offers a change of pace from the rest of the lineup. Nobody's going to steal 20 bases or make the 3B play even with the bag. I know this is a crusty old scout kind of argument, but you can't construct such a redundant lineup and expect to be good. Yes, Cam sucks, but at least he gives you the prospect of something very different from the rest of the lineup. I'm getting pretty tired of seeing opposing infielders play 5 steps behind the bag and never have to move off that position. Give me some diversity in the lineup, dammit.

Comment

Yeah my point is that regardless of what the numbers say, Cody isn't a huge contributor this season for us (as in, if he goes, we won't substantially miss his production) and he isn't a great defensive center-fielder. This isn't to say he's bad out there, but just that he doesn't bring anything to the table that I'd label above average or irreplaceable.

In Cam, you have a guy that needs to play every day, if for no other reason than it allows us to permanently pull the plug on him a year earlier than we would under this plan.

Additionally, I think Cam is the only guy on the roster that offers a change of pace from the rest of the lineup. Nobody's going to steal 20 bases or make the 3B play even with the bag. I know this is a crusty old scout kind of argument, but you can't construct such a redundant lineup and expect to be good. Yes, Cam sucks, but at least he gives you the prospect of something very different from the rest of the lineup. I'm getting pretty tired of seeing opposing infielders play 5 steps behind the bag and never have to move off that position. Give me some diversity in the lineup, dammit.
                          You love your cliches.

You should've explained yourself better. You made it seem like Maybin gives us a better chance to win now.

For the record, I think you're baseball bipolar.

Comment

I've really soured on the lineup in the last month. Since Cantu is unfortunately going nowhere, Cody is now the player I most want replaced, and I loathe stacking him, Uggla, Stanton and Paulino.

Comment

I disagree with pulling the plug a year earlier. If he was on the MLB squad all year and struggled, he'd be back next year. It's the same situation with him going to AAA for the whole year. He's going to get a ton of PA next year. They believe in him and are going to give him every benefit of the doubt to develop. I don't really care if he is in AAA or the bigs, he just needs to play. I don't think some more AAA is hurting his development. Granted, he doesn't have much to prove, but it's not like how the Royals are treating Alex Gordon which is absolutely insane. I don't think the Marlins will make the playoffs, but at the same time I don't think they give up in mid June because of the bullpen and Mike Lamb. They need Cody to do that even if he is not an above average bat and the lineup is mostly hackers.

Come July 28th though, it might be a very smart idea to trade Cantu, Ross, and Nate Rob for as much young pitching that can possibly be obtained. Maybe even Uggla too, but Id really like to keep him on a 3-4 year deal.

Comment

Well, by year earlier I mean a Hermida situation where it's a player
                                we keep holding onto in hopes of it "coming together" but
                                finally finances said cut bait (thereby opening a spot for turnover). By playing Maybin instead of the AAA shuffle, his service clock ticks, we see him for an extended time at the big league level and we are able to make an intelligent decision. Right now, we're not allowing ourselves to do that.

Comment

Working...
                                X