• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What the Florida Marlins Should Do

What the Florida Marlins Should Do
    by R.J. Anderson - June 14, 2010

Overview

The Marlins are once again pacing for a record around .500 — an impressive feat, given a payroll shy of $50 million. Nevertheless, the Marlins are still in fourth place in the National League East and seem unlikely to make a real run to catch up and sustain the pace being set by Phillies and Braves. They could certainly add someone in a similar capacity to the Nick Johnson trade last deadline, but odds are, they’ll hold steady or even move a part or two.

Buy or Sell?

Sell seems like the better option since the Marlins could cash in on a few pieces getting too expensive. Dan Uggla, Cody Ross, and Ricky Nolasco will enter their final year of team control next season; meanwhile, Jorge Cantu and Wes Helms will become free agents (as will Nate Robertson, but the Marlins are only paying him $400K).

Cantu seems like the most likely to be moved. Gaby Sanchez and Wes Helms make him a bit redundant and he’s not going to bring back Type-A compensation in free agency.

Untouchables on the current roster include Hanley Ramirez, Mike Stanton, Josh Johnson, and Anibal Sanchez given how he’s pitched. Everyone else seems like a potential trade target — especially some of the Marlins’ relievers. Leo Nunez will probably stay in place, although they should listen to offers, but rejuvenation project Clay Hensley could lead to an interesting dilemma when it comes to weighing their confidence in his ability versus the guarantee of a return before a potential collapse.

The rest of the Marlins’ roster is a collection of young players and useful and (more importantly) cheap cogs without the kind of trade value that makes them must-goes.

On The Farm

Here’s where the Marlins shine. They just promoted Stanton, but Logan Morrison seems like the future at first base. 2007’s first-round pick, third baseman Matt Dominguez, is currently in Double-A Jacksonville. Meanwhile Triple-A New Orleans holds the team’s top two outfield prospects in Bryan Peterson and Scott Cousins. New Orleans also features a number of former major leaguers who could step in if the Marlins feel uncomfortable burning service time in a losing effort down the stretch.

As for pitching, the Marlins have a drove. There’s Chad James, Ryan Tucker, Brad Hand, Jhan Martinez, and yes, even old familiar names like Andrew Miller and Brett Sinkbeil – although it’s important to note neither is particularly close to their former prospect selves … Sinkbeil especially, he’s essentially a replacement level reliever at the Triple-A level.

The two spots the Marlins have organizational weakness at are the two that form the middle infield, although one could list catcher depending on their evaluation of Kyle Skipworth.

Budget

Just as Ambrose Bierce once wrote, “War is God’s way of teaching Americans geography”, the trade deadline is baseball’s way of teaching Marlins fans how the economic aspect of player development works. Hate him or … well, just slightly dislike him, Jeffrey Loria sticks to his guns when it comes to spending money. All success is credit to the Marlins’ front office’s creativity and ability to strike gold when they’re paying in tinfoil. Something that doesn’t appear likely to change within the next six months.
    http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...ins-should-do/

I don't know how I feel about this article. I think I'd give him more credibility if he said what we should get for them, not just who we should deal off. And Sinkbeil is having a better year than Andrew Miller. And no mentioning of Sean West? Really? Ya, this guy has no idea what he's talking about. Oh and love the confidence he has in the Marlins. lol
    LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

no mentioning of Chris Coghlan or Cameron Maybin either

Comment

To be fair, if they're around 7 games back in late July, they probably should consider trading off Cantu and Cody, since both aren't gonna be here next year anyway. Especially if Logan's still hitting and pushing his way onto the big league squad.

Comment

Originally posted by wanks1212 View Post
          To be fair, if they're around 7 games back in late July, they probably should consider trading off Cantu and Cody, since both aren't gonna be here next year anyway. Especially if Logan's still hitting and pushing his way onto the big league squad.
          I agree. Jorge is a free agent but Cody isn't. Maybe Cody still gets traded, I don't know

Comment

I'm on the trade Cantu team whether it the team is in or out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by jay576 View Post
              I'm on the trade Cantu team whether it the team is in or out of it.
              Gaby played 3rd in the minors correct? Send him to third, Logan to 1B?

Comment

CC to 3rd Logan to LF. Gaby is below average at 3b.

Comment

Originally posted by MiamiHomer View Post
                  I'd be down with that as well, I just couldn't remember if Gaby did play 3B.

Comment

Gaby could not cut it defensively at any other position as far as I know. I'm sure we can give anyone a glove and say play here, it just might be torture to watch even if they tried the position in the past.

Comment

He played mostly third until 2008 when he split time between the hot corner and first. He's definitely not the best option there but he could do it.

Comment

Gaby can't play 3rd. And don't trade Cantu unless you're giving up.

Comment

Originally posted by MiamiHomer View Post
                          So is Coghlan.

Comment

Wes Helms is the only answer at the hot corner

Comment

Ed Helms is the only answer at the hot corner
                              This post was brought to you by: Dat SEC Speed

Comment

Working...
                              X