Home Plate Backdrop at New Stadium to Be Dual Aquariums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Plate Backdrop at New Stadium to Be Dual Aquariums

I sure hope Hanley Ramirez keeps his eye on the ball and not on the fish when the Marlins open their new ballpark in 2012.

The team just announced a unique feature — dual aquariums that will serve as the home plate backstop.

The twin Custom Saltwater Aquariums that will flank both sides of home plate have been approved by Major League Baseball, said P.J. Loyello, the team’s vice president.

They’ll be stocked with saltwater tropical fish, “but there won’t be any Marlin,” Loyello said.

The aquarium exhibits will provide baseball fans with a firsthand glimpse of the fish and coral reef ecosystems that are synonymous with South Florida.

Designed and Built in Ft. Lauderdale by Living Color Enterprises Inc., the aquariums have been designed to ensure the safety and health of the many species of aquatic life that will inhabit them, the team said.

The aquariums will be built on each side of home plate and will be been positioned to prevent any disruption to players on the field.

The aquarium to the right of home plate (when looking from the pitcher’s mound) measures an impressive 34 feet long, 36 inches high and holds over 600 gallons of seawater, while the aquarium to the left, will be 24 feet in length, holding 450 gallons of water.

Each aquarium will be constructed using a durable fiberglass structure; while crystal-clear acrylic panels 1.5 inches thick will be used for the impressive viewing windows that run the entire length of the aquariums.

To safeguard the exhibits from unexpected impacts, Lexan - the material used in bullet proof windows - will be installed in front and in back of the acrylic panels to protect the aquarium from foul balls, errant pitches or any other unexpected contact.

In other words, don’t worry about any fish spilling onto the field if a wild pitch from one of Josh Johnson’s fastball hits the glass!
    /Capozzi's blog

This is going to be so cool!
    --------------------
    Last edited by THE_REAL_MIBS; 06-10-2010, 12:44 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

AJ burnett will break it
    Originally posted by Matt Wilson
    Fish and Chips just became the smartest man on the board
    Tom Koehler(4-0)
    AAA: 7 GS, 40.2 IP, 2.66 ERA, 34 H, 12 ER, 17 BB, 31 SO, GO/AO 0.87, BAA .233 , 1.25 WHIP

Comment

I hope there's some distance between the Lexan and the actual fish tank otherwise those fish are gonna receive some serious concussions from foul balls or wild pitches or whatever.
      This post was brought to you by: Dat SEC Speed

Comment

Ok...that's fucking awesome
        Originally posted by Madman81
        Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
        Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Makes me want first row seats.

Comment

I think the Lexan is on the outside of the 1.5" thick fiberglass walls that make up the actual aquarium.

Comment

Originally posted by Fritz View Post
              I hope there's some distance between the Lexan and the actual fish tank otherwise those fish are gonna receive some serious concussions from foul balls or wild pitches or whatever.
              Going to need some strong padding to absorb the impact of the balls as well.

Comment

Originally posted by markotsay7 View Post
                Ok...that's fucking awesome
                Yeah, this is one of the few times wehre Loria's "taste" is actually a good thing.

Although I'd expect at least a few PETA people to bitch about the cruelty of keeping fish in aquariums.

Comment

Pretty fucking cool.

Comment

Why couldnt they throw a marlin in there?

Comment

Marlins are large fish.

Comment

Originally posted by FishFanInPA View Post
                        Too big.

Comment

this is gonna be one of the coolest things out of any ballpark and everyone on tv will be able to see those fish lol and instantly know that it's a Marlins game. such a great idea, I'm glad it got approved

Comment

Originally posted by FishFanInPA View Post
                            you can't exactly keep them in captivity

Comment

Originally posted by Ramp View Post
                              you can't exactly keep them in captivity
                              Kinda like you, huh Ramp? No woman can keep you in captivity.

Up top!
                              This post was brought to you by: Dat SEC Speed

Comment

Working...
                              X