Is Jorge Cantu an All-Star?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Jorge Cantu an All-Star?

Over at the Marlins' official site, Joe Frisaro noted that the Marlins are pushing Jorge Cantu as an All-Star. "It's hard to dispute the numbers," Frisaro says. I found it easy, though.

The fire is being fanned by the fact that Cantu is leading the National League in RBI with 42 (he is currently tied with Atlanta's Troy Glaus). I'm of the school of thought that "clutch hitting" isn't really a skill and, therefore, RBI is a stat that is mostly dependent on the preceding hitters.

If Cantu had 32 RBIs right now, or even 35 (which would place him 12th in the National League), I don't see how there's any way he's an All-Star. His OPS is just over .800, he's not a good fielder, and for a position like third base, he doesn't provide a ton of home runs. But the fact is that he's leading the league right now, and if that is still true at the All-Star Break, history says it's an almost-certain ticket to Anaheim.

Historically, players who lead their leagues in RBIs at the Break are All-Stars, plain and simple. There have been very few players to be in this position at the Break without becoming an All-Star. There's Derek Bell with the Astros in 1995, but of course, that was a slightly-shortened season due to the strike. But Bell wasn't the sole leader at the Break, as Reggie Sanders had the same number of RBIs as Bell. Other co-leaders who didn't make the game are Jeff Burroughs (1976) and Davey Johnson (1965) and Hank Sauer (1948). As for sole leaders at the break that didn't make it, there have been just two: Tony Perez in 1980, and Nick Etten in 1943. So overall, we're looking at six total guys who led their league in RBI at the Break and didn't make The Game. Four of them were co-leaders and two were sole leaders.

Does that make Cantu an automatic All-Star if he's the leader? I'm not sold. That's not to say I don't love Jorge Cantu (I do) or I don't appreciate every one of his RBIs (my fantasy team does). I just don't think he's deserving of it. Not on a team where Hanley Ramirez is a shoo-in, Josh Johnson is likely, and Dan Uggla and Leo Nunez - and maybe even Anibal Sanchez, if he keeps this up - are on the bubble. Not in a league where Ryan Zimmerman (1.014 OPS) and Scott Rolen (.936 OPS, great fielding) are deserving of a start, and David Wright (.854 OPS, 10 steals, good fielding), Casey McGehee (.857 OPS, 1 fewer RBI than Cantu) are deserving of a roster space. And that's not counting the fact that the starting third baseman likely won't be any of them, since Placido Polanco plays in Philadelphia, where fans stuff the ballot boxes endlessly.

Put it all together, and I think it's pretty easy to dispute the numbers - or at least the "number," since there's only one number fueling this All-Star push. If the All-Star Break comes and Cantu is still leading the league in RBIs but hitting the same way he is now, I'd expect him to become the seventh guy in his position to stay home. The Marlins have at least four more deserving players, and the National League has at least four more deserving third basemen.
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

If you really look at the numbers, Cantu hasn't been bad defensively at all. His UZR is 0.1, and his UZR/150 is 2.9. Wright is a terrible defensive player (-3.5 UZR, -11.3 UZR/150), as is McGehee (-4.9 UZR, -17.5 UZR/150). Zimmerman has clearly been the NL's best all-around third baseman this year, but Cantu is RIGHT there behind him. I mean, whether you consider clutch hitting to be a skill or not, his .407 average and 1.067 OPS with RISP is simply outstanding.
    Last edited by Valid; 06-04-2010, 09:36 AM.

Comment

It does seem like his defense has improved.

Comment

If he makes the ASG, that's cool. If not, that's cool too. I could go either way. I understand if he makes it because of the RBI. Leading the league is relatively impressive, if largely meaningless. But I understand if the overall package isn't up to snuff as well, because frankly, it's not.
        poop

Comment

I didn't think so either until I really looked at the numbers. It turns out Rolen's defense has been shockingly below average this season, too (-1.0 UZR, -4.2 UZR/150). Cantu is actually fairly deserving of an All-Star spot, in my opinion. He is producing offensively while also playing solid defense, something that can't be said for any other NL third baseman outside of Zimmerman.

Comment

Well, we all know OPS and defensive stats don't really matter in ASG selection and voting, so it's kind of a moot point. If he keeps leading, he'll get in.
            poop

Comment

Yeah I know. I was just saying that I think he deserves a spot based on those statistics.

Comment

I think he's borderline. There's an argument to be made for both sides, but I think the RBI should be recognized, even if, like I said, they are largely unimportant.
                poop

Comment

I don't know if he's an all star but Cantu right now is a top 5 3b in the NL and top 10 in ML. If he gets his avg up to .300 by the ASB his OBP and SLG would both likely be north of .350/.500 respectively. If his OPS is at .850 and he's still leading the NL in RBIs he should be in. Then again if they only take three 3b and Polanco is starting then Zimmerman and Rolen should be the reserves.
                  "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
                  - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

It's crazy to think that we could conceivably have 5 all-stars (Hanley, Uggla, JJ, Cantu, Nunez). The last two aren't like the first three, but if we weren't the Marlins and were instead the Cardinals, all 5 would be talked about as very merited candidates.

Comment

Over/under three Marlins in the ASG?

Comment

Under. Hanley and Uggla.

Comment

No Johnson?

Comment

You've gotta set that line at 2.5
                            poop

Comment

Well you can push, but fine; 2.5.

Comment