No announcement yet.

Marlins Go Down 8-4 in Series Finale to Rockies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So if his front office didn't make him switch positions he would've gained all that weight?

I've heard that excuse before.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM Hugg!

Comment

Originally posted by Swift View Post
      It's pointless to try to convince you since this is going to just turn into a numbers game where you again reenforce your complete lack of understanding of the game outside of what is statistically quantifiable.
      That was pretty unnecessary and completely irrelevant.

If Gaby keeps raking, I think he stays regardless of who's behind him until arby, at least. That makes more sense than moving him because 'super prospect' is behind him.

Comment

Gaby's not even raking. 1 homer, 7 doubles. Awesome. That's not world class from a 1B.

I think the notion of Gaby is actually greater than Gaby. He had a good opening week, he's been not-awful. Is he great for an 8-hole hitter? Yes, no doubt, but if you've got your 1B batting 8th and he's not good defensively, you've got a lot of problems, batting average and OBP be damned.

Comment

I think you need to have less than a .844 OPS or whatever it is until people start talking about tookin yur jawb.
          Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM Hugg!

Comment

Originally posted by Chewie View Post
            So if his front office didn't make him switch positions he would've gained all that weight?

I've heard that excuse before.
            Yeah.

If Jeter got moved to 3B he'd be using a Hoveround to get around the Golden Corral buffet right now.
            This post was brought to you by: Dat SEC Speed

Comment

Gaby's not even raking. 1 homer, 7 doubles. Awesome. That's not world class from a 1B.

I think the notion of Gaby is actually greater than Gaby. He had a good opening week, he's been not-awful. Is he great for an 8-hole hitter? Yes, no doubt, but if you've got your 1B batting 8th and he's not good defensively, you've got a lot of problems, atting average and OBP be damned.
              Regardless, it's above average production for league minimum. I understand 1B is supposed to be a big power position, but LoMo isn't exactly Ryan Howard either. You don't move Gaby for a guy who's essentially been Gaby Sanchez in the minors.

Comment

I don't think I follow the "a guy who's essentially been Gaby Sanchez in the minors" allusion.

Logan's 22. That's a pretty big thing to take into consideration when you say he's easily handling AAA right now.

Logan's minor league career shows a player who is basically Nick Johnson crossed with JD Drew. Tons of OBP, flashes of power and a doubles stroke that should play into a homer stroke as he grows (remember, he's 22).

Gaby's minor league numbers show a guy who was pretty old for each level he "thrived" at, yeah his '08 in Carolina is awesome but he was 24, he did fine in NoLa last year, but as a 25 year old. Logan has 2 .400+ OBP stops with at least 250 AB's at the level before he turned 22.

And, let's not forget the prodigious power he showed as a 19 year old that made him a super 'spect. Gaby doesn't have that.

So I'm confused where we're going with this "he's been Gaby Sanchez" remark. Logan's superior in every imaginable way.

Comment

I don't think I follow the "a guy who's essentially been Gaby Sanchez in the minors" allusion.

Logan's 22. That's a pretty big thing to take into consideration when you say he's easily handling AAA right now.

Logan's minor league career shows a player who is basically Nick Johnson crossed with JD Drew. Tons of OBP, flashes of power and a doubles stroke that should play into a homer stroke as he grows (remember, he's 22).

Gaby's minor league numbers show a guy who was pretty old for each level he "thrived" at, yeah his '08 in Carolina is awesome but he was 24, he did fine in NoLa last year, but as a 25 year old. Logan has 2 .400+ OBP stops with at least 250 AB's at the level before he turned 22.

And, let's not forget the prodigious power he showed as a 19 year old that made him a super 'spect. Gaby doesn't have that.

So I'm confused where we're going with this "he's been Gaby Sanchez" remark. Logan's superior in every imaginable way.
                  I read this and it made me think of Hermy.

Comment

So what if it does? One bad misstep with a prospect and we're forever gun shy?

Comment

Not exactly, but I wouldn't rush to condemn Gaby and declare Logan the chosen one. Like the old saying goes, "a finger in the bush is worth more a hand on the pole" or something like that.

Comment

The only thing LoMo is handling right now is the trainer's room... he hasn't played in a game since April 19. Gaby is doing fine for now. Fortunatley for the Marlins, they get big power numbers out of a position you usually don't get it (2B and Mr. Uggla).

Is Gaby going to be a long term solution for this team? We'll have to wait and see. I hate the whole thing of let's judge a player based on his position. I think you have to look at the entire lineup of a team to see if a guy is a good fit for you. Right now the Marlins lineup has a lot of pop in it already, so Gabys lack of HR power isn't as noticable. In the next couple years once we lose guys like Uggla, Cantu, and Ross I'm sure we can re-evaluate it.

Also from what I've seen/heard LoMo isn't exactly going to be a 35-40 HR guy. He's more of a gap hitter like Gaby. Maybe he will get you 20-25 HRs a year.

Comment

He could be. He's not right now. Right now he's Gaby Sanchez.

Comment

Logan's biggest skill, his ability to consistently hit the ball hard on a line is also his biggest drawback as a prospect.

He hits a ton of ground balls and line drives. He should hit for a high average easily, but he'd have to have an absurd amount of raw power to really develop into a consistent big power threat, simply because he doesn't hit a lot of fly balls. His game is batting average and plate discipline first.

His big power breakout came in a pretty extreme hitter's league and park. Other than that, his power numbers are just ok.

I look at him as a Volstad type of prosect. Maybe not the huge ceiling some guys have, but his chances of becoming a good (if not, great) player are high.

But I agree with Mainge, and I've been saying it for a while. Right now, I don't think he represents a clear (or even any) upgrade over Gaby right now.
                            Last edited by Bobbob1313; 04-26-2010, 09:51 PM.
                            poop

Comment

Working...
                            X