Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beinfest Doesn't Care About the Bullpen; Reds Win 10-8 in 11

Discuss
    God would be expecting a first pitch breaking ball in the dirt because humans love to disappoint him.
    - Daft

I climaxed on the Cogs catch and immediately had my balls put in a vice by our bullpen.

Comment

If the playoffs started right now, we would be out

Comment

Re: Bob and payroll

$46 million.

We can keep all the cool guys and add a reliever or two. This isn't an either or situation over a couple million dollars.

Comment

Games like tonight are what we're probably going to see a lot of until we figure out who's getting the 7th and 8th.

Comment

Originally posted by Festa View Post
            Re: Bob and payroll

$46 million.

We can keep all the cool guys and add a reliever or two. This isn't an either or situation over a couple million dollars.
            I asked whether it is Larry Beinfest's fault or Jeffrey Loria's.

If Beinfest has $46 mil to work with, the way he does it is absolutely better than adding expensive bullpen arms. The proof is in the ~4 ERA he's squeezed out of a bunch of guys making the minimum the last 3 years.

It's not fair to criticize Beinfest in this situation, because he can't just spend more than he's given. You're first priority in spending should not be the bullpen, and he doesn't have the luxury to go beyond his first priority.

Maybe this is the year he doesn't shoestring together a good bullpen. But it's worked for 3 years. You guys are being completely reactionary.
            poop

Comment

No doubt Swifty

Are we a predictable ballclub or what? Holy shit.

Fall behind early, catch up and then watch it all go to shit in the late innings.

A recipe for 4th place

Comment

Burke Badenhop better be able to go every night as many as 3-4 innings.

Comment

He cannot do that

Comment

Bob, like Festa said, what is so wrong about venting?

FLA has a great lineup and a #1 and #2 that can get the job done. Fuck Jeff Loria and David Samson for thinking that a $45 million dollar payroll can compete.

This organization is $15 million away from winning the Wild Card.

Comment

I'll give you guys this:

Of the NRI, Jose Veras should not have made the club.
                      --------------------
                      Originally posted by Daft View Post
                      Venting is fine. Is attempting to discuss something reasonably a bad thing, though?

All other things being equal, if I could guarantee that this year's bullpen would match last year's 4.06 ERA, we would pretty much all agree that would be more than acceptable, right? He put last year's bullpen together in exactly the same way. With this type of pen construction, though, you have to deal with some assholes for a while. Last year's pen had it's share of assholes too. It's all dependent on the guys like Meyer, Sanches, and the like to come out and pitch lights out for 50 innings a piece.
                      Last edited by Bobbob1313; 04-13-2010, 10:12 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
                      poop

Comment

Originally posted by Daft View Post

FLA has a great lineup and a #1 and #2 that can get the job done. Fuck Jeff Loria and David Samson for thinking that a $45 million dollar payroll can compete.

This organization is $15 million away from winning the Wild Card.
                        It's been a troubling week+, you could easily make the case we should be 0-8 or 1-7.

However.

The bullpen is full of major leaguers, some relatively proven ones. Maybe Veras is done, maybe Pinto too, but Meyer shouldn't continually be this bad all season, and eventually along the way we're going to find the hot hand to bridge the close games. What we have to stop doing is having the good bullpen arms on one schedule and the bad bullpen arms on the other. It's hard to maximize good results when you have Pinto backing up Veras (or vice versa) on one night, and then on others it's Badenhop-Hensley and Wood. Pretty tough when the A guys are held mutually exclusive from the B guys. Naturally, I'll go ahead and blame Fredi's mensa level managerial skills for that, but that's not the point.

The point is, we're lucky to be where we are after 8 games, yes, but at the same time, we can't possibly stay this bad all season, it's the bullpen holding us back, it's not like it's the lineup. Eventually, bad bullpens sort themselves out either through massive shakeup or players getting their heads out of their asses. For us, it's probably going to have to be the former.

Comment

I'm fine with that bob

I'm just venting at ownership right now. I fucking hate the ownership that tells us the season will end "in a pile" when they don't give their GM the tools to make that so. It's fucking embarrassing.

Comment

You do realize Swift that the Nationals bullpen last year was bad the whole year and the reason for part of their horrible season. They also had a damn good lineup too.

Comment

Originally posted by FishFanInPA View Post
                              You do realize Swift that the Nationals bullpen last year was bad the whole year and the reason for part of their horrible season. They also had a damn good lineup too.
                              They weren't operating with a mandate to win.

It might mean Logan ends up in San Diego or KC (please god no) but this bullpen won't be around as it is presently constructed much longer. Sanches coming back assures some of that, our "impatient" history reenforces that.

Comment

Working...
                              X