No announcement yet.

Marlins Drop Series Opener to Reds 6-5 in Extras; Cantu Continues RBI Streak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marlins Drop Series Opener to Reds 6-5 in Extras; Cantu Continues RBI Streak

<p>The Miami Herald
    The disappointing ninth inning came long after Marlins starter Ricky Nolasco had exited. He became only the sixth Marlins pitcher to record 500 career strikeouts, but was pounded for nine hits and five earned runs over six innings, including three home runs.</p>
    <p>
    No wild comeback this time as Florida Marlins fall to Reds</p>
    <p>South Florida Sun Sentinel
    No one could say the Marlins didn't have chances for their third consecutive comeback victory. They stranded 11 runners, including bases loaded with one out in the ninth inning when Nick Masset (2-0) fanned Ronny Paulino and got Ross on his second full-count offering. Francisco Cordero retired the side in the 10th to notch his third save.
    </p>
    <p>
    Rolen?s bat lifts Reds over Marlins in 10 innings</p>
    <p>Palm Beach Post
    The Marlins turned an unusual double play to end the sixth inning. With one out, the Reds had runners on first and third, and both took off running as pinch-hitter Chris Dickerson struck out. Catcher John Baker threw to second base but Ramirez cut off the throw and fired a strike home. Baker blocked the plate and tagged out Layne Nix.</p>
    <p>
    Reds' Scott Rolen hits two HRs, singles in winner in 10th to beat Marlins</p>
    <p>Cody on Swinging at Ball Four in the 9th
    "[The pitch] was probably down, a tough pitch to take, a sinker that was pretty good. I went and watched the video and it was obviously down."</p>
    <p>
    Cody Ross: "I think I swung at ball four"</p>
    <p>Cantu Extends RBI Streak to 7
    When hot-hitting Jorge Cantu doubled in two runs in the third inning he tied a franchise mark with at least one hit and an RBI in the first seven games of the season. Cliff Floyd opened the 2001 season in similar fashion. The last NL player to do it was Pat Burrell for the Phillies in 2005.</p>
    <p>
    SoFlaMarlins' favorite Juan C. Rodriguez has more</p>
    <p>CC Continues to Struggle</p>
    <p>Chris Coghlan had a night to forget going 0-6 and bringing his 2010 average to a paltry .152.</p>
Working...
X