• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuck, I'd kill to get Scalia down here.

The best NSU can do is the Dalai Lama.

Comment

Originally posted by BeefWillingham View Post
      Oh, today was Scalia Day. Everyone was running around the law school with their golden ticket in one hand and Scalia bobblehead in the other.

I was leaving class today and saw two kids in suspenders, one was a girl, and the fella was like, OH WELL, HOW BOUT THAT CHEVRON TWO STEP!?

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
        I think that 75% figure is wildly inflated because you don't like him for whatever reason.

They are attacking him on the outside. I assume you mean that the hole in his swing is everything else? Why would they be attacking him outside then?
        Not sure what game you were watching.

PitchFX is being fidgety, but the two charts I found on his AB (one of them being a single) show a grand total of three outside pitches. The site hates hot-linking, so feel free to check it out.
        God would be expecting a first pitch breaking ball in the dirt because humans love to disappoint him.
        - Daft

Comment

http://pitchfx.texasleaguers.com/bat...o=4%2F8%2F2010

By my count, 9 of the 16 pitches he saw last night were from the outside half of the plate and out.

They don't tell you which pitches he actually put in play, but from what I remember, his two hits were on the outside half of the plate or out and he hit them the other way.

I just think it's silly that with most hitters, we praise them going the opposite way, but Maybin is actually getting criticized. That seems super silly to me.

http://minorleaguesplits.com/cgi-bin/pl.cgi

Looking at a spray chart for him from AAA last year, it looked like a good percentage of his hits went the other way anyways.

Looking at the three games so far, he's swinging and missing at half the changeups he sees, which is pretty bad, though a lot of that was Santana's fault. Of course, this is almost useless since it's just three games.
          poop

Comment

Originally posted by Festa View Post
            Fuck, I'd kill to get Scalia down here.

The best NSU can do is the Dalai Lama.
            We got Bill Nye the Science Guy a while back so we win.
            Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM Hugg!

Comment

Is Cameron Maybin still the worst player ever?
              This post was brought to you by: Dat SEC Speed

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post

By my count, 9 of the 16 pitches he saw last night were from the outside half of the plate and out.

They don't tell you which pitches he actually put in play, but from what I remember, his two hits were on the outside half of the plate or out and he hit them the other way.

I just think it's silly that with most hitters, we praise them going the opposite way, but Maybin is actually getting criticized. That seems super silly to me.

http://minorleaguesplits.com/cgi-bin/pl.cgi

Looking at a spray chart for him from AAA last year, it looked like a good percentage of his hits went the other way anyways.

Looking at the three games so far, he's swinging and missing at half the changeups he sees, which is pretty bad, though a lot of that was Santana's fault. Of course, this is almost useless since it's just three games.
                If I'm reading these charts correctly, he swung at 5 pitches (out of 7) that were down the heart of the plate and took 5 more that were either in the strike zone or towards the inner part. I'll give you the one that was low but on the plate, because it's borderline. That leaves 6/16 pitches seen according to this chart on the outside of the plate. Can you really say he's being "attacked" outside when he saw less than half of his pitches there?

If anything, pitchers are attacking him in the strike zone by your definition (7/16 pitches).
                God would be expecting a first pitch breaking ball in the dirt because humans love to disappoint him.
                - Daft

Comment

So maybe they weren't "attacking" him outside, then, but weren't his two hits on outside pitches?
                  poop

Comment

And?
                    - Daft

Comment

So you criticized him for being behind everything. He went away on his two hits because that's where the pitches that he hit were. That's a good thing.

It'd be far, far worse if he was trying to pull those balls.
                      poop

Comment

I think he's trying his best to not be completely fooled on offspeed. He's not sitting on changeup obviously, but he's starting his swing just a little bit later to be sure, which would really only allow him to hit pitches on the outer half.

Comment

That's certainly possible, though he's actually struggled more against the change up this year (albeit in a terrible insufficient sample size).

I just don't buy that he's "behind" everything. He looked brutal in the first game, but he's been going with what he's given the last two games.

I feel silly even typing any of this having to say "in the last two games" at the end.
                          poop

Comment

I mean, I don't think he's being overpowered. I don't think he's seen a fastball over 93. I'm not sure you can put up the kind of numbers he did in the minors if 93 is overpowering.

Comment

Working...
                            X