• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Samson: I Think This Season Ends with a Pile

Florida Marlins carry some lofty expectations for new season

BY CLARK SPENCER
    cspencer@MiamiHerald.com

David Samson looked like a clairvoyant with his dead-on prediction of 91 wins for the 2003 Marlins, a team given almost zero chance by baseball pundits and experts. Samson, the team's president, ended up having ``91'' engraved inside his World Series ring.

As he stood inside the visiting dugout at Citi Field on Sunday, gazing out as the Marlins took batting practice in final preparation for Monday's season opener against the Mets, Samson was asked if he would venture another win prediction.

Samson gave it some thought, tossing around numbers inside his head, before deciding that words -- not a number -- better expressed his vision of how it all would end for the Marlins six or seven months from now.

``I think this season ends with a pile,'' Samson said.

As in a victory pile. That's right. In so many words, Samson envisions the Marlins winning the franchise's third World Series in what is only its 18th year of existence, even though -- again -- few others are sharing that feeling.

Most have either the Philadelphia Phillies or Atlanta Braves winning the National League East. ESPN asked its army of baseball writers, analysts and commentators to predict the division and wild-card races, and the Marlins ended up getting named by only two of their 31 experts.

``I like being the best-kept secret,'' said Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria, who also was on hand for Sunday's workout. ``I'm glad no one is picking us. Put the pressure on somebody else. Nobody ever picks us.''

But, throughout the offseason and spring training, Marlins executives have been not only adamant, but also outspoken in their belief that they expect the team to make the playoffs after winning 87 games in 2009 and falling short of the postseason.

They signed pitcher Josh Johnson, the team's ace and Opening Day starter, to a four-year contract worth $39 million. They held on to second baseman Dan Uggla after it was rumored he would be traded. They also kept outfielder Cody Ross and third baseman Jorge Cantu despite their escalating salaries.

But they didn't sign any free agents to a major-league contract over the winter and didn't trade for any front-line help until they snagged veteran pitcher Nate Robertson from the Detroit Tigers a few days before the end of spring training. The Tigers are paying all but $400,000 of Robertson's $10 million salary.

To critics who have complained that the Marlins didn't do enough to improve the roster, Loria had this to say:

``We didn't have to,'' Loria said. ``We've got the players. Making a deal for the sake of making a deal isn't what we're about. We're about knowing what we have. We know who these men are and they are no longer boys. They're men.''

In other words, the Marlins, who have failed to make the playoffs since 2003 despite finishing with winning records in four of the past six seasons, are counting on the improvement that comes with experience and maturity to get them over the hump.

They're counting on the 1-2 punch of Johnson and Ricky Nolasco at the top of the rotation.

They're counting on Chris Coghlan to keep swinging the bat like he did last season when he garnered NL Rookie of the Year honors, and for Hanley Ramirez to remain one of the elite players in the sport. They're counting on home-run pop from Cody Ross and Dan Uggla, and run production from cleanup hitter Jorge Cantu. And they're counting on a suspect bullpen, with lightly experienced Leo Nunez as their closer, to perform above expectations.

``We've got what we need,'' said Ramirez, who won the league's batting title last season and also finished second in MVP voting to the Cardinals' Albert Pujols. ``Everything we need, I think we've got it right now. You go player for player, and I think we can match anybody in the league. We can beat anybody.''

Ramirez said adding Robertson to the starting staff was a big plus.

``We got Uggla back, we got Cantu back,'' Ramirez said. ``What we need right now to get to the postseason is to focus all year long and stay healthy. I think that's what we need.''

Said Coghlan: ``It's going to be exciting for us to go out there and show the world what kind of team we're going to put out there.''

Starting Monday, when the Mets' Johan Santana fires the first pitch to Coghlan, the Marlins' leadoff hitter, there will be no more talking and projecting. It will be a 162-game race to decide who was right in their predictions and who missed the boat.

For the moment, at least, the Marlins believe they will be the ones celebrating at the end.

``I pick the Marlins,'' Ramirez said.

Said Samson: ``I saw their faces in the clubhouse [Sunday]. It's the fifth year I've gotten to look in their eyes. And they had it.''
    Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/04/0...#ixzz0kEbw2z59

Poor Fredi.

I sense that this thread will be filled with jokes about "piles"
    STANTON

Serious fun! GET IT IN!

Comment

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y26ZmRxw7TU[/ame]

Comment

NEW YORK – OK, there must be a reason why the Marlins Get your Marlins Tickets now! brass loudly keep insisting they should make the playoffs. There must be. Because they were at it again Sunday afternoon, on the eve of Opening Day, on a sunny day meant to play two.

Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria stood at one end of the dugout saying, "All the necessary talent is there," to make the playoffs. At the other end of the dugout, team President David Samson backed him up with a well-worded prediction for this season.

"It'll end in a pile," he said on the day before opening against the New York Mets at Citi Field.

Only one team celebrates in a pile, he was told. He smiled.

"I think this team's ready,'' he said.

So here's the Opening Day question: How should you react when the front office has far higher expectations than you do? Do you salute them for setting the bar up there? Question what they're smoking?

Warn manager Fredi Gonzalez what a slow start might mean to him?

Wonder how an owner talks so loudly when the questionable bullpen got no help and the big off-season acquisition was 32-year-old pitcher Nate Robertson, who only came because Detroit is picking up $9.6 million of his $10 million salary (never, ever say the Marlins aren't smart).

All of the above?

Here's my only issue with this loud talk: It doesn't fit this team's personality. Maybe that's what Loria (and Samson) want to change. Maybe they feel this team needs some swagger, though Muhammad Ali didn't have swagger because he talked poetry. He had swagger because he knocked out people.

The Marlins haven't knocked anyone out. Gonzalez does his best to backpedal from saying anything big. Hanley Ramirez, the best player, feels he's going out on a limb when saying this team isn't young anymore and, "We should be a good team."

When it's asked how good a team, Ramirez holds up a hand as a stop sign.

"Guys, you know I'm not comfortable with that," he said.

Genral Manager Larry Beinfest gave the best synopsis of this year's chances: "Offensively, we should score a lot of runs, but our quest for October will hinge on pitching, both starting and in the bullpen. It's a good team. It'll come down to the pitching coming through."

Ever since last season when the Marlins over-achieved with 87 wins despite having one consistent starting pitcher, Loria has sounded angry about missing the playoffs. That led to the flirtation with Bobby Valentine at manager (talk about a bad fit).

Samson explains the loud talk this way:

"Is it inconceivable to think that leaders of industry have high expectations for everything, no matter the result? You don't hear anyone who succeeds saying at the start, ‘Hey, guys, let's finish third.'

"The late owner of Wendy's, Dave Thomas, set a goal of being bigger than McDonald's and Burger King. It doesn't mean he became bigger. But that's the goal he set out on.

"When you have the batting champ [Ramirez], the rookie of the year [Chris Coghlan], two legitimate top-of-the-line starters [Josh Johnson, Ricky Nolasco] and a 30-homer, 90-RBI guy in Dan Uggla, why wouldn't you be thinking this team can make the playoffs?"

In Texas, new part-owner Nolan Ryan predicted a 92-win season and no one said anything. But he's Nolan Ryan. He's a Hall of Famer. He can say anything he wants.

Maybe the Marlins brass wants fans to believe playoffs are possible. But it doesn't work that way.

Maybe Loria wants to cut himself in the bold personality of George Steinbrenner. But, like Ali, it wasn't the talk that made Steinbrenner. It was his open wallet. And that's not exactly Loria's forte, is it?

Or maybe Loria and Samson are sounding out on their beliefs in a way that's worked in the past. Samson, after all, predicted the 2003 Marlins would win 91 games to the kind of loud laughter they're hearing now.

That number's etched on his World Series ring.
        http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/f...,882949.column

Comment

Originally posted by Festa View Post
          Poor Fredi.
          Hey, 4 years is a long time as the manager of one team.

Plus, he's going to Atlanta next year. He'll be fine.

I'm just worried that he still won't be able to grasp Hooked on Phonics this season.
          --------------------
          I personally have no problem with them having high expectations, as long as when it comes down to it and the team needs an addition to get over the hump, Loria steps up. I believe he will.
          Last edited by Bobbob1313; 04-05-2010, 09:16 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
          poop

Comment

Damn you.

Comment

I mean really, what team does not have high expectations on Opening Day?

But only David Samson would use the word pile to describe expectations. What a tool.

Comment

What?
                poop

Comment

I think there will be a pile of guys at the end of this season too.

Also, I think the Marlins will win the World Series.
                  Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM Hugg!

Comment

While I think it's nice to have high expectations, it would be nicer if the team would have grabbed a SP in there to go after JJ and Nolasco. Certainly asking alot from Sanchez, Volstad, Goggles and Co.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
                      What?

Comment

Sex, bobbob, sex.

Comment

what a pile of shit
                          Originally posted by Madman81
                          Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                          Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by Daft View Post
                            It was kinda a weird thing to say

Comment

I just don't see why that made him a tool.
                              poop

Comment

Working...
                              X