Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opening Day Line-Ups Out, Cody is Starting

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/marli...to-three-spot/

Cody Ross will start Monday for Florida Marlins; Nate Robertson moves to 3rd spot in rotation

by Joe Capozzi

Gorgeous day here at Citi Field, where the Marlins are working out as I wrie this. First order of business: Cody Ross will start in right field on Monday.

“Our medical people said he was running well. Then we spoke to Cody. He said, ‘I’m good. I can go nine innings,’ I said, OK, You’re in,’’ manager Fredi Gonzalez said.

One other tidbit of news: left-hander Nate Roberston will start the third game of the season on Thursday. If Nate stayed on course for the fifth game, he would in for nearly a week’s rest — too long, according to Fredi.

Right-hander Anibal Sanchez, who’d been pegged for the third spot, will go in the fifth spot, Saturday in Miami Gardens against the Dodgers. Chris Volstad stays in the fourth spot, meaning he will start the home opener on Friday.

The Marlins opening day lineup against Johan Santana and the Mets will go like this:
    LF Chris Coghlan
    CF Cameron Maybin
    SS Hanley Ramirez
    3B Jorge Cantu
    2B Dan Uggla
    C Ronny Paulino
    RF Cody Ross
    1B Gaby Sanchez
    RHP Josh Johnson

And the Mets…
    SS Alex Cora
    2B Luis Castillo
    Wright
    1B Mike Jacobs
    LF Jason Bay
    RF Jeff Francoeur
    CF Gary Matthews Jr.
    C Rod Barajas
    LHP Johan Santana

Minor league outfielder Scott Cousins is working out at Citi Field right now with the Marlins but Scott will fly back tonight to New Orleans. He was here as an insurance policy if Ross wasn’t ready, but the team decided this morning that Ross’s sore right calf had healed enough to let Cody play.

“I wouldn’t spin it as a tough deal,’’ Gonzalez said. “Like I told (Cousins), that’s how much confidence we had in you. If Cody wasn’t going to be the guy, you were it. Take that, build on it and be ready.’’

Tim Wood, who replaced Brian Sanches on the disabled list, nearly made the team outright, Gonzalez said.

‘We were going to break camp with him until we acquired Nate Robertson and that kind of pushed him out by putting (Clay) Hensley in the bullpen,’’ Gonzalez said.

Fredi said he didn’t know how long Sanches might be out with that pulled right hamstring.
    Last edited by Fish and Chips; 04-04-2010, 01:45 PM.
    Originally posted by Matt Wilson
    Fish and Chips just became the smartest man on the board
    Tom Koehler(4-0)
    AAA: 7 GS, 40.2 IP, 2.66 ERA, 34 H, 12 ER, 17 BB, 31 SO, GO/AO 0.87, BAA .233 , 1.25 WHIP
Working...
X