Brian Sanches Hamstring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Injury: Brian Sanches Hamstring

JACKSONVILLE -- The Marlins dropped a 4-3 decision to their Double A affiliate the Jacksonville Suns Friday night but might have lost something much bigger in the process -- right-handed relief pitcher Brian Sanches.

The 30-year old suffered what manager Fredi Gonzalez described as what could be a "severe" hamstring injury when he came out to warm-up on the mound in the seventh inning.

"The top of my hamstring kind of grabbed on me," said Sanches, who said he was on his second-to-last warm up pitch he sustained the injury. "I felt it kind of pop a little bit. I went to kind of throw another one and it wouldn't let me do it.

"I don't have a lot of experience [with hamstring injuries]. But when it rolls like that or pops like that, it's definitely something to worry about. Hamstrings are kind of nagging like that anyway. If it ends up being a strain, it will take 10 days to heal. There's no good time. But this is a really bad time."

Sanches went 4-2 with a 2.56 ERA in 47 games last season after being called up from the minors and proved to be a valuable addition to the bullpen. He said he would be re-evaluated Saturday morning after the Marlins arrived in Greensboro, N.C. for their final exhibition game before heading to New York for Monday night's season opener. Sanches said he was looking forward to his first Opening Day.

"We'll check to see how bad it is tomorrow, but it was up in the buttocks area," manager Fredi Gonzalez said. "Usually when it is high or up, it's more severe -- or can be more severe than when it is in the middle of the hamstring or lower."
    Read more: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/fish_...#ixzz0k48j1jXJ

Dr. Fredi thinks it's bad, but I haven't seen any confirmation elsewhere as to the severity.

Sidelined reliever Brian Sanches saw the doctor Monday and was diagnosed with a hamstring strain. He will begin a throwing program when he's pain free, possibly as soon as the end of the week.
    Pitcher fielding not a strong suit for Marlins

Comment

Working...
    X