Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sonova

Comment

The Marlins outfield suddenly is in flux with right fielder Cody Ross and backup Brett Carroll sidelined because of injuries.

Ross had a cramp in his right calf early in Tuesday’s game against Baltimore and has not played since. He will hit today and won’t do any running. He hopes to play Friday.

“It’s one of those things that can linger a little bit,” Ross said.

Ross has been frustrated by a litany of injuries – thumb, groin, calf – that have limited him to eight spring games and 22 at bats. He is hitting .182.

“It’s been awful,” Ross said. “I’m so frustrated. I need to get out there. I need to play. It’s just little nagging things. If it was the season I’d be out there. You don’t want to keep aggravating and aggravating and once you do get to the season you have to deal with it throughout the whole year.”

Carroll’s oblique injury is more serious, although not as bad as it could be.

Carroll came out of Wednesday’s game against the Twins in the second inning. The good news is it is not in the rib cage. Manager Fredi Gonzalez said Carroll could miss a week or more, which, even best case, puts his chances of making the team in jeopardy.

“You come to the final stretch here for the team, I know I’m a guy that’s on the bubble,” Carroll said. “As eager as I am wanting to put it behind me and get back out there. I know it’s an important time. I have to be patient with it.”

Carroll is contending for the fourth outfielder spot and, even healthy, may have had a difficult time making the team.

Now, it appears he will start the season either on the DL or in Class AAA New Orleans.

“It’s tough timing for anybody,” Gonzalez said. “You’re on the bubble of making the team and to get an injury with 10 days left. … Hopefully it’s just a mild case and hopefully a week or two.”

The team has five bench spots available. A second catcher, West Helms and Emilio Bonifacio will fill three of those. Mike Lamb almost certainly has earned a spot as the left-handed pinch hitter.

Brian Barden now appears to have the lock on the final spot, especially with Carroll’s injury. Bonifacio would then become the fourth outfielder with Barden a backup infielder along with Helms. Barden can also play in the outfield.

Infielders Donnie Murphy and Hector Luna also remain in the competition.

“I think Barden is our best defender in the infield,” Gonzalez said. “He makes difficult plays look easy and makes the easy plays look routine.”
      Marlins outfield injuries mouting: Cody Ross, Brett Carroll out

Comment

** Before the game, manager Fredi Gonzalez said non-roster invitee Brian Barden “is our best defender on the infield. If he catches it, you’re out.” Considering Barden can play left field in a pinch, you have to like his chances of making the club.
        http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports...ontent=Twitter

Comment

If he catches it, you’re out.
          That's the rule.

Comment

but more so for Barden

Comment

I totally missed that at first.

Comment

He's just pure gold.

Comment

Comment

Manager Fredi Gonzalez said Brett Carroll likely will open the season on the disabled list. The move would be retroactive to Friday, meaning Carroll would not be eligible to make his major league debut until April 10.
                    Saturday's game: Marlins, Cardinals meet in Jupiter

Comment

Working...
                    X