Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speculation: No BC on the Bench?

Forecasting roster spots
    Speculating on who will stay and go is part of the fun in Spring Training.

In Marlins camp, there are some interesting position battles going on, and as we head into the final two weeks, here are some things to follow.

Based on conversations and observations, it looks as if the backup position player spots are coming into focus.

Obviously, until moves are official, anything can happen. But taking the temperature of the ballclub as of Saturday afternoon, it looks like the position players off the bench may be Ronny Paulino, Wes Helms, Emilio Bonifacio, Brian Barden and Mike Lamb.

The Marlins every day outfield, if healthy, is set. Unlike last year, when Jeremy Hermida was frequently removed for defensive reasons in the late innings, there may not be a need for a defensive outfield replacement. Chris Coghlan, Cameron Maybin and Cody Ross won't be coming out of games because of their defense.

Bonifacio, meanwhile, can play center field, as well as infield. Cody Ross, who will play right field, also can move to center field, if needed.

Barden has been on the team's radar for more than a year, and chances are good that he will break camp with the club. Now that they have him, he is a quality defensive infielder who can play shortstop, second and third base. On Sunday in Viera against the Nationals, he subbed in at third base.

Gaby Sanchez most likely will win the first base job. If in late innings, the Marlins take Sanchez, a rookie, out for whatever reasons, Jorge Cantu can slide from third base to first base. Barden could get playing time at third in that scenario. Helms, the primary pinch-hitter option, also could fill that role.

Defensively, Barden is very good. He may be this year's version of Alfredo Amezaga, who is now with the Dodgers.

Lamb, meanwhile, has the edge as the left-handed bat off the bench. In Spring Training, Lamb is 5-for-15, with a .375 on-base percentage. Lamb hasn't struck out in Spring Training. To fill that lefty situational role, the Marlins are looking for someone who makes contact.

Primarily a first and third basemen, Lamb also could be the emergency third catcher.

It is looking like Jorge Jimenez, the Rule 5 claim who was dealt to Florida as part of the Matt Lindstrom trade, may not fit into the Marlins plans right now. If the Marlins indeed decide to keep Lamb, then Jimenez would likely be offered back to the Red Sox, his original team. Jimenez is 3-for-18 thus far.

Again, the team hasn't officially made any final decisions, and jobs could still be won based on merit, or if there are injuries.

Typically, how players are used in these final two weeks will indicate what roles the club is considering. The Marlins soon will be looking to give their regulars more playing time, which limits opportunity for prospects who project to open in the Minor Leagues.

On Monday, the Marlins are off, and two starting pitching candidates are slated to throw in Minor League games on the back fields at Roger Dean Stadium -- Andrew Miller and Clay Hensley.

-- Joe Frisaro
    Yuck.

That's an ugly bench.

I don't get the fascination with Barden, and I don't get carrying two slap hitting utility men in the mold of Amezaga and no real 4th outfielder. I get that you are anticipating not needing to make the late inning defensive replacements in the outfield, but it's still short sighted.
    poop

Is it me or is this article written very weirdly?

Comment

It's Frisario. Of course it's written weirdly.

Comment

I know but it's not even flowing sentences

Comment

I think it's from a blog post, and there are supposed to be bullet points, or something.
          poop

Comment

I think Ramp is talking about sentences like

Again, the team hasn't officially made any final decisions, and jobs could still be won based on merit, or if there are injuries.
            and

If in late innings, the Marlins take Sanchez, a rookie, out for whatever reasons, Jorge Cantu can slide from third base to first base

Comment

Where is Brett C?
              --------------------
              Wow, I'm fucking retarted. I randomly opened all the threads.
              Last edited by Bingebag; 03-21-2010, 06:00 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

I likewise dont get the fascination with Barden. He has had a relatively weak spring, he is a crappy hitter, he has no idea what a BB is, and despite this articles claims is fairly average defensively according to the eye test. Not to mention he is 29 years old.

Having him and Bonifacio both on the bench would be just fugly.
                Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
                Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
                Noah Perio
                Jupiter
                39 AB
                15 H
                0 2B
                0 3B
                0 HR
                0 BB
                .385/.385/.385

Comment

That is a bench full of suckballs

Comment

Yeah... I don't know about this. Barden isn't on the 40-man roster and BC is. I think as of now the Marlins have 38 of 40 spots filled after returning Jorge Jiminez to the Sox. You also have to think Lamb and possibly a couple of Hensley, McClung, MacDougal, and Jose Veras is going to make the team. That seems like a lot of people to add to the 40-man roster.

I'd rather have BC as the 4th outfielder, personally... I guess we'll see how it shapes up.

Comment

They are at 39/40 without Jimenez. And whoever that last bench guy is, takes his spot so nothing really opened up there.

They are going to have to DFA like Penn, C. Martinez, Harvey, Buente, Sinkbiel, etc., to make room for say Veras and McClung.

Comment

JUPITER - Marlins outfielder Brett Carroll began practicing at third base last week.

Carroll, Murphy and Barden are all battling for a spot on the roster as a utility player, which is why they are willing to get out of their comfort zones.

With spring training winding down and final cuts looming, players are doing whatever they can to gain an edge.

"When you are one of those guys that is a bubble player, seems like when you go into camp, the more you can do, the better chance you have," Murphy said.

That echoes Gonzalez's feelings.

"Absolutely," Gonzalez said when asked if versatility was an important element when deciding on the final roster spots. "In the National League you need that."

"I just figured why not?" Carroll, 27, said about his decision to ask permission to work out with the infielders. "It can only help."

Carroll played third base in high school and college but was converted to an outfielder after being drafted in 2004.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/f...,4678216.story
                        Ramp's happy

Comment

I feel bad for whoever plays first

Comment

Told you it was gonna happen for a long time, loucipher

Comment

JCRMarlinsbeat: Brett Carroll left Wednesday's #Marlins-Twins game with a left oblique strain.
                              Via Twitter

Comment

Working...
                              X