Turnbow's Return Possibly Over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Swift View Post
    So this basically means one of McClung / Veras makes it now, right. I think all 3 were competing for the one spot we had for veteran righty setup/mopup.
    Probably. I figured this before Spring Training

Locks - JJ, Nolasco, Anibal, Volstad, Nunez, Sanches, Meyer, Pinto (8)
    Near Lock - Badenhop (1)
    Probables - Miller, Vanden Hurk, McClung (3)

Darkhorses - West, Penn, Veras, MacDougal, Turnbow, Wood
    Larger Darkhorses - Hensley, Strickland, H. Jones, Tank, Cr. Martinez, Leroux

At this point, I'd demote Miller and RVH on this list, promote Penn, and then for the 12th guy, I have no idea. Wood has pitched ok, so has Jones, and Hensley, but this is a sample size nightmare and it'll work out in the next few weeks. Penn's going to need to implode to not get that last shot at this point.

As for McClung really being given a spot which I understand is kind of out there, check out 2007-2009 RP splits.

108.1 IP, 3.82 era, 1.48 whip, 7 K/9, 9 HR, .243 BAA

Yes, I know that whip is pintolicious, but it's all based on walks/control rather than being hit hard. He's a few walks away from being a pretty solid RP (and you can already say he's solid with that era over a 3 year span), and we know how Beinfest loves the mid 90s fastball/skeptical control kind of guy. He has the major league experience, unlike a lot of those others. I just see him being first here.

Comment

6.3 BB/9, 1.10 K/BB, 4.83 FIP

And that's with a less than expected HR rate (He's a FB pitcher). his xFIP would be ~5.55

I have zero faith in him. Pinto at least strikes guys out (7k/9 is not good) and gets ground balls.

Fredi has also said something along the lines of "At worst, Penn is in the pen" so I imagine he's a lock to make the team out of camp.

Comment

Originally posted by nny View Post
        6.3 BB/9, 1.10 K/BB, 4.83 FIP

And that's with a less than expected HR rate (He's a FB pitcher). his xFIP would be ~5.55

I have zero faith in him. Pinto at least strikes guys out (7k/9 is not good) and gets ground balls.

Fredi has also said something along the lines of "At worst, Penn is in the pen" so I imagine he's a lock to make the team out of camp.
        Yea, but that doesn't mean he's not going to get it. We've all seen how these guys operate. He's got the highest fastball of the bunch and the MLB resume as of lately where he hasn't been embarrassing even if his peripherals suggest a higher ERA. I'm making this argument for them, not me mind you.

Just see Badenhop, McClung, Penn, and no idea on the 12th, as the "opening day" staff. I'm sure there will be plenty of turnover throughout the year and this will work itself out just like it did last year.

Comment

Working...
        X