Fredi: Only Ross and Coghlan Assured OF Jobs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fredi: Only Ross and Coghlan Assured OF Jobs

Thursday morning Marlins manager Fredi Gonzalez said only Coghlan and Cody Ross are assured of outfield jobs.

Carroll is battling Scott Cousins, Cameron Maybin, Jai Miller, Bryan Petersen and Mike Stanton for two remaining outfield spots.

``[Carroll's] been having a hell of a spring,'' Gonzalez said. ``With the way B.C. is, even if you tell him that he's assured [of a job], he's still going to work the same. He's going to be one of those guys who always is going to look over his shoulder.''
    http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/03/1...ason-work.html

I don't buy this. Barring an injury, the FO would be crazy to not have Maybin starting.

Unless the groin is going to keep him from being ready.

And as I said to you in IM, maybe they think as long as Cody is healthy, he doesn't need the ST at bats, but Maybin does.

I think it's silly either way, but I could see them thinking that with his slow start last year, they are worried he needs extra time to round into form against live pitching.
    Last edited by Bobbob1313; 03-12-2010, 06:49 PM.
    poop

Comment

What's the maximum time a player can spend in the minors on rehab without an option being used? Two weeks? Three? If Cam's not ready for spring action next week, I'd see a very tangible benefit to shutting him down for the spring, getting the groin 100% right and then sending him to extended ST or NoLa for 3 weeks to get the confidence way way up.

Comment

If Maybin isn't ready, I pray they don't put Stanton in right field...
        poop

Comment

It's just a threat.

Comment

Originally posted by Festa View Post
            It's just a threat.
            Agreed.

Fredi likes to sit there and say that no one is guaranteed jobs when it appears that he already has a good idea of who will win the jobs. Look at the rotation. He keeps saying that only JJ and Nolasco are guaranteed jobs but one of the beat writers quoted an "on field Marlins official" as saying that Volstad and Sanchez would have to have awful springs to not make the rotation. He just wants guys to show up and play hard.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
              If Maybin isn't ready, I pray they don't put Stanton in right field...
              I'd say it's fairly safe to assume that if Maybin isn't ready, Carroll will open the season as the starter.

Comment

Originally posted by m26555 View Post
                I'd say it's fairly safe to assume that if Maybin isn't ready, Carroll will open the season as the starter.
                Considering we're playing the Mets and going to have to deal with Johan, I think he might play over Maybin anyways. I kind of see Maybin as a 130 game starter, and not a 155, as they get him up to speed so I see Carroll syphoning a lefty from him once a week if he keeps up his slugging against them. Why not game 1?

Comment

Working...
                X